Those who sold their iphone 4's, do you regret it now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Oct 3, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Seeing as most of the main rumours are suggesting purely a 4s is being released if there is only a 4s are you kicking yourself now doing that for a spec bump or are you happily looking forward to having a phone with a bigger chip, overall quicker device and camera?

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I sold my 4 about a month ago and definitely don't regret it as the new one be it a 4s or the 5 will have a 1ghz dual core and an 8 mp camera so to me that's a major upgrade and not a small spec bump. I mean the 5mp camera on the 4 is amazing so imagine 8MP. I really do hope for a bigger screen but will get even if its the same.

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I sold my iPhone 4 to a family member. Well they have paid me for it on the agreement that I pass it to them when the new phone arrives.

However if its an iPhone 4S I will be giving them the money back and just keeping the iPhone 4.

Why? Well it all boils down to the fact that I want a redesigned phone. I LOVE the iPhone 4 but I have had it since last July 2010 and need a change of scenery.

If there is only an iPhone 4S and I do keep my iPhone 4 I get a feeling that I will lose a lot of interest in Apple and stop reading every titbit of news like I have in the past. Thats just me though.

----------

The other thing that will be strange if there is only an iPhone 4S at the keynote, Tim will be standing there announcing the latest and greatest handset with what appears to be a pic of an iPhone 4 behind him displaying the all too familiar IOS5.

What will the media actually be able to SHOW? "here is the iPhone 4S!!". Confused customers look at it and go "erm that's the same phone that's already in shops?"

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

so that would be different from the 3GS release....how exactly?

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

To be honest, somewhat. But an iPhone 5 is still possible.

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

it wouldnt, but back then it was a different smartphone landscape. These days customers are seeing new Android handsets coming out each week with bigger (and sometimes) better screens, new features etc.

To them Apple will be seen as launching.......the same thing they launched a year and a half ago :confused:

7. essential macrumors regular

I sold my 4 in August, I don't regret it, I just wish I waited a little longer, I originally thought a new iPhone would be out in early Sept.

I will regret it if all we get is the 4S though, in that case I would have just kept my 4 and saved my money.

8. charliecc macrumors regular

When will people learn, once you get to around 5MP, it means very little. It's all about lens quality. Unless you were planning on blowing your photo up and sticking it to a building it's pointless.

The manufacturers of phones and cameras (at least until recently) have always made it about the MPs, fooling stupid people like you into upgrading when there's no need.

That's not to say the new lens in the iPhone 4S won't be better.

9. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Amen to that. The 8MP may actually give a worse image - almost certainly in dim light unless they increase the physical size of the sensor!

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Well it's not just lens. It's actually also the size of the sensor. But yes - MP is a marketing ploy - especially when you consider that 90 percent of photo sharing is done online and even a 3mp camera is MORE than enough.

11. Robby S macrumors member

Yup, 2MP is still enough to fill a full HD display.

12. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

Its kinda pointless to kick yourself less than a day away from the announcements, when only apply knows what will actually be announced/released

13. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yip, that's pretty much why I said a physically larger sensor! ;)
    A higher resolution is not really needed on these phones, I'm amazed people still are seduced by the higher MP rating. Digital images for the consumer come down to 3 main points, optics, sensor and processing - pretty much in that order of quality. If people truly need a high resolution image for a specific task, they are going to use something more suitable that a mobile phone for the task.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would regret it if I had sold mine only to find out that I wouldn't be eligible to upgrade early and have to pay full price.

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Nope not at all sold my iPhone 4 for a profit. So I can buy me the iPhone 5, and I can always get an iPhone 4 again for cheaper.

16. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

My only regret is that I didn't buy the iPhone 4 last year and get onto the proper upgrade cycle. If the odd-numbered years are going to be garbage spec bumps, I'll hold out to get on the even-numbered years that get the real updates.

17. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Why? At minimum the 4S will have a....

- far better processor
    - double the RAM
    - better camera
    - Assistant

Sounds pretty good to me

18. charliecc macrumors regular

See response in-line. Sounds like a waste of money to me, unless assistant is so revolutionary it'll chew me off.

19. iPad 3, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

iPad 3 macrumors member

When you say "for profit" your not just counting the one off payment you make at the start of the contract (possibly $200) as being how much you paid for the phone by any chance are you?

20. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I sold my iPhone 4 on Saturday, and I'm starting to wonder if it was the right decision. I'm not due for an upgrade until March, but I was counting on AT&T moving my upgrade eligibility up. If they don't, I'm going to have to pay the $250 fee to upgrade to the new iPhone, and it's only a 4S, I don't know if it will be worth it. :-/

21. d0vr macrumors 6502a

As I keep saying, people in general are idiots and don't understand (or want to understand) anything more than, "oh, but that one has a larger number so it must be better."

Long story short, I wouldn't be placing bets on the majority of consumers ever learning.

Ditto. 4->4S is not in the same boat as 3G->3GS. We needed the S then. We need more than the S to remain impressed now. If it's a 4GS though, that would be enough to keep me impressed. Probably wouldn't buy it, but I'd still be impressed :p

22. theperipheral macrumors 6502

Sounds pretty boring to me.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Seeing as rumors are all over the place regarding the phone, I'm betting the ones who sold the phone already decided they were fine if it was not going to be a "major" upgrade or "just a" spec bump (Really? A spec bump isn't considered a major upgrade? No wonder Apple users have a reputation of just using their devices to be "cool". I'll take the spec bump over the appearance change any day).

Honestly, if I had more money, I'd probably consider one with a spec bump like they are rumoring (especially if they add a 64GB version which was my big disappointment with the 4) for the new iphone as something worthy of upgrading even though my contract is not up til next year. But, I'm on a tight budget so I will stay happy with my 4 (but if there is a 64 GB version I'm going to be so jealous. And I hear the processor is much faster... and yes, I do think my 4 already lags on some stuff, it already was a bit laggy when it was still pretty new so I really do think it needs a spec bump).

24. PhoneI macrumors 65816

This sounds like a waste of money? So the only thing that will make you happy is a slightly larger screen?

I for one will be very happy with a better camera, processor, more RAM. Makes my iPhone experience better.

25. charliecc macrumors regular

Yes, because day-to-day you'll barely notice the other things. They're so minor. I've had the iOS5 Beta running on my 4 and it's as quick as you'd ever need. The camera on the 4 is great. But a bigger screen affects everything you do.

It makes browsing better, typing easier, watching movies better, playing games better, the list goes on. I've tried out S2's and the big screen is amazing. But I won't be swapping to Android for it because I'm not as keen on the OS and I have a lot invested in the eco-system. If I didn't have so many paid for apps I think I'd probably swap. A 4S just won't be worth the upgrade cost from a 4 IMO.