Thoughts from a disgruntled Apple --MBP -- fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ssajous, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ssajous macrumors member

My first PC was an Apple 2 --my first computer was a sinclair--, throughout my career, at work I started with windows machines and I have also worked with many flavors of *nix.

I have to say that my experience with Windows has never been has bad as it was for some others, after 3.1, I worked on NT, 2000, XP, Vista and now 7. I have never used 98 or Me so I avoided the worse M$ has to offer. Still, being an avid photography hobbyist, Mac OS has always been a better environment for me at home, plus having my wife on the Mac gave me the peace of mind that I would not have to deal with her catching a virus while I am travelling for work. Until recently at least.

I am not a fan boy per se, but I like the products Apple puts out, because for the most part they are quality products and they do amazing things.

Recently however I started having issues with my MBP mid 2010 i7 where it would just freeze and the only thing that could bring it back was a hard reset. After some research on the internet, I found out that my model had a logic board issue and that Apple had extended the warranty so that all I had to do was bring it in and they would replace it for me free of charge. I did, and after getting it back the issue remains.

I did more research on the internet and I found that there are tons of people who have had the same experience as me, and that they have to live with it because there is really no way for it to go away. Strangely I found that there are 2011 models that have the same issue. The general consensus is that the OS does a poor job at switching between the integrated and the discrete card, I have turned that off, as have a lot of people but the freezing issue still won't go away. My problem with this whole thing is that even though this is a well known issue at Apple, there has not been a statement about it so people like me know if there is any chance at all our machines will ever work the way they should.

As mentioned before I am into photography so the issues with my current machine have given me an excuse to look at the newest MacBooks. That is until I realized that Apple has basically decided that the consumer has to pay their premium price for everything contained in the units, and that one can no longer get a basic setup and upgrade components with after market brands. Soldered memory chips and non removable hard drives make it so that guys like me who need 16 gigs of ram and a 700 gig hard drive would have to drop $3800 for a first gen MBP with retina display, while I will forever be worried that the freezing issue might be in that one too, since Apple has not said whether they have fixed it for sure. Aside from photography stuff I am also a developer so I do quite a bit of Java, Python stuff on my machine.

This is probably not going to make me stop buying Apple products, because in the PC market at least, there is no alternative as far as I am concerned. And as much as I like Ubuntu, I am not going to start managing my thousands of pictures with Gimp all of the sudden.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Why is the Retina MBP your only considered alternative?

3. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Got food? Roof over your head? Get your priorities in check bud. Your 2010's weird restarting issue has made you look at a new Macbook, which means pretty much any of the Mac notebooks they sell that doesn't come packed with random restarts would do the job swimmingly.

4. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Precisely they have ruled out the entire range and only looking at the rMBP.

5. ssajous, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012

ssajous thread starter macrumors member

The retina is just really nice for photography. I am looking at the non retina 2012, but to tell you the truth, after seeing some of the freezing issues already happening with the new 2012 all over the apple Support site (aside from the known Chrome memory leak thing), I am worried that this issue still exists with the OS switching video cards causing freezes. I think Apple is just not acknowledging it. I have a friend with a late 2011 MBP and he had to turn the switching off so the machine does not freeze.

When I first started looking at this issue I searched for "MBP mid 2010 freezing" and found pages and pages of hits. Then I realized that the date did not matter, there are pages and pages of 2011 and 2012s freezing as well. And sorry, I generally don't come in here to get life and priority advice, let's stick to the hardware.

This thread settles it for me I guess, I will no longer look at the retina display then:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1398943

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That guy doesn't even have the computer. He's spent half an hour with it in a store. Why would you listen to his opinion over someone the opinion of someone who's actually spent some real time with the computer?

7. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

????
    Well I have a 2011 MBP and never had any issues with the switching. But if your friend has been changing things that he doesn't understand then it can happen, if not then he must be one of the very few........ :p

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have an early 2011 13" MBP for work and use Chrome EXTENSIVELY (it's open 9 hours a day) and have no freezing issues (running 10.7.3, we haven't gotten 10.7.4 yet). My new personal MBP is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, though I may stick to FF on that one due to integration of some add-ons.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same here my Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 has never frozen GPU`s switching without any issue under Apple`s control or gfxCardStatus. Only issue am aware of is if you manually switch the GPU`s using gfxCardStatus mid use of an app some will subsequently crash, which is fair enough as they were never programmed with this functionality in mind as Apple`s own will swap the GPU on launch of the app

10. ssajous, Jul 5, 2012

Just do a random search, there are hundreds of complaints and even 10s of youtube videos.

Here are some for 2011
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/15693773#15693773

By the way regarding not knowing what we are doing, not sure how you can come to that conclusion but the software we use is extensively utilized by OSX users. We are both IT people pretty knowledgeable mostly in software but quite a bit in hardware as well.

I did not start using gfxCardStatus until AFTER it started freezing randomly. Aside from photo management and retouching software I do not do anything that would require intense switching. I do enterprise app development as well. The machine would just freeze when the OS switches for better battery life.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

Laptops, no matter the line, are fairly locked down in general. You want fully customizable systems, you switch to desktops. Of course Apple locks down hardware somewhat with the OS but that is their trademark. You have an OS designed for specific HW components so that you don't run into issues that sometimes plague the other OSes. I don't care for Windows much but a Windows based desktop may be your best option.

Otherwise, look at the regular MBP or the Mac Pro.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You're reading posts from people that have had problems. You don't see posts from the vast majority that don't have problems, because people generally don't post when things are working fine. That's just the way the internet works. There will always be some people with problems...there's tons of variables involved, from user preferences to installed software. All of those things can cause problems.

You could purchase a new MBP, try it out, and if you don't like it or it has problems you have 14 days to return it for a refund. At least give a new one a try before deciding that you're doomed to be miserable.

13. unibility macrumors 6502

got ocd much?

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I don't think you understand what obsessive-compulsive disorder is. Being worried that something you don't have yet will have issues is just being paranoid.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do not let posts on this site be the reason you buy or do not buy something. Collect information from other sources as well. This site will drive you nuts and make you think you have issues that you probably don't. This is a large site but it is not inclusive of the entire population of MBP owners.

16. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

If the date doesn't matter, what are you doing going after a retina?!

17. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

Not doubting the incidence of these occurrences, but I caution anyone not to assess the reliability of a mass-market product by the presence of negative Internet posts.

There is no product out there with an appreciable base that doesn't have Google-able complaints and issues.

Just sayin'

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That's far too sensible.

19. ssajous, Jul 5, 2012

I know that all products have issues, and I mention the other instances just because they are like what I am dealing with. I guess what I am looking for is for Apple to give people a sign as to whether this is something they are actively dealing with.

20. Queen6, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You will be surprised at what apps call for the discrete GPU, gfxCardStatus lets you see these dependencies as well as more granular control of the GPU`s. An older app may be calling for a switch mid stream, gfxCardStatus can lock the GPU`s and prevent any switch occurring helping to isolate any software issues.

I would say your issue lies more with software than hardware, the iCore Mac`s are extremely stable and Apple have built on them year on year, and stability is one of OS X`s strong points.

21. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Tim, you've done a wonderful job with the sheep here. Please pat this one on the head, give him a treat, and refill his Kool-Aid.

22. VFC macrumors 6502a

I have a similar background. First home pc (had a DEC PDP mini computer before the pc) was a Sinclair ZX81. I then made a decision to purchase a TRS80 Model 3 rather than the Apple 2. Most of the pcs I own I built myself; using top rated components (reliability and performance). In my job, I got to teardown munerous laptops and evaluate them; so I knew which laptops to purchase for personal use. I have been very satisfied with my pc/laptop h/w and MS O/S experience. I avoided Apple products for 30 years.

A few months ago, a new work requirement drove me to Apple products for the first time. I first decided to buy an iPad. Before I bought it, I did my usual due diligence. I figured since this was an Apple product it would be a no brainier, and I would be buying one by the end of the day. I was shocked by all the problems that were being reported regarding the initial shipments. I ended up waiting three months and then had a Micro Center employee pick a DY prefix serial number out of the new shipment they received. iPads are manufactured by three different plants in China. The least amount of problems were being reported by the factory that manufactures the DY prefix iPads.

Now I just purchased a cMBP; fingers crossed. I can relate to your concerns about purchasing a new technology Apple product.

23. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

Amen to that..... :D

24. mac jones, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

The OP makes a very good point. The initial entry point for power users with the Retina is extreme.

He is complaining that to get the spec'd machine he needs, it's is going to run him $4k. That is a serious chunk of change.

I'm in the same boat. For instance, presently my main machine is a 17", HD Macbook 2.4GHZ quad, with dual Crucial M4 512GB and 16GB ram.

Now this machine is worth about 2/3 of a similarly configured Retina. (that's going by what I would sell it for on Ebay)

25. vladzaharia macrumors regular

Technically, he's right. If you look at the customization options, they are the cheapest Apple has ever provided. Pretty sure like 8GB of RAM cost hundreds on old MBP lines. Now, 16GB is 200.