Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimejester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Ok, it looks like we’ll have 64GB again, at least, in the non-pro iPhone 12s. I know many here upgrade to a higher storage tier, but I’m personally fine with 64GB. I’ve had a 256GB iPhone X for the last three years and it’s only ever been 20-30GB full. I usually save space by uploading photos to Google Photos and then exporting the originals to my MBP. Don’t have a crazy number of apps. To those who are more conservative, like me, how do you make it work? To those who need and use the increased storage, how are you using it?

Reactions: nrvous1

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
I will go for 256 Gb this year.

I think Apple know very well their customers needs and it helps to optimise Apple's margins : some customers are OK with 64 and some are not so it push extra cash for Apple with iCloud subscriptions or higher capacity.

But yea since Apple target more the high-end market and given the price tag, I would find just fair to have 128 GB as base storage for all iPhone in late 2020.
On the Android market, every single high-end phone start at least with 128 Go (except Google's Pixel, if I'm correct ?).

It's not the end of the world and Apple still made very strong products for sure but maybe next year !

Moneoa

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
Honesty i was sold on the marketing mojo that I needed more space. I went from 256 gigs on my XS to 64 for my 11 pro and after taking off 99% of the apps I barley use I am only using half my memory even with Apple Music downloaded playlists. When I travel I just download a few shows and movies and stream the rest as needed

Moneoa

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
Honesty i was sold on the marketing mojo that I needed more space. I went from 256 gigs on my XS to 64 for my 11 pro and after taking off 99% of the apps I barley use I am only using half my memory even with Apple Music downloaded playlists. When I travel I just download a few shows and movies and stream the rest as needed

Disclaimer. I do have iCloud for photo storage and such. I do find when I do have space eaten it’s photos and vids. Importing to your library frequently solves this

Reactions: Lwii2boo

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It would depend on the price of the baseline. 599 and 699 for the 5.4 and 6.1 respectively would be ok in my opinion.
100 bucks more and it becomes a hard pill to swallow.
Yeah, agreed. The 6.1” 12 is the one-for-one replacement for the 6.1” iPhone 11, and I’d like to see it at the same price. I fear, however, that will be the starting price for the 5.4” model.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, it looks like we’ll have 64GB again, at least, in the non-pro iPhone 12s. I know many here upgrade to a higher storage tier, but I’m personally fine with 64GB. I’ve had a 256GB iPhone X for the last three years and it’s only ever been 20-30GB full. I usually save space by uploading photos to Google Photos and then exporting the originals to my MBP. Don’t have a crazy number of apps. To those who are more conservative, like me, how do you make it work? To those who need and use the increased storage, how are you using it?

Reactions: slimejester

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

That’s not really marketing anything. They don’t make ads telling you 64 isn’t enough. You overestimated your storage needs, which can happen.

Once you start taking 4K videos with that nice video camera function on the other hand 64 GB is gone very quickly. It just comes down to knowing what we’ll use these pocket computers for.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
If they only offered 64gb phones that would be a problem...however they do offer higher storage amounts so I fail to see what the uproar is about.

For me personally 64gb is more than enough space.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Apple should have moved the minimum storage for a of their iDevices to 64GB a couple years ago. Even today, 64GB is good for a large number of iPhone and iPad users.

Even some heavy users can use the wide array of data offloading features available with iCloud and other services for Apps and Content. Which makes it easier for more people to live with 64GB.

Within the next few years, I see that minimum needing bumped to 128GB. Personally, I would not buy anything less than 128GB in the here and now. My iPad and iPhone are both 256GB. I use over half my iPhone storage, but my iPad is sitting in the 40GB usage range. My usage on iPad continues to grow the more I use it.

it kind of irks me the base iPad 8 is still 32GB. That’s really limiting what these devices can do at that storage point.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

I’d never go back to 64GB, I need minimum 256GB now. I take a lot of pics+videos (on Instagram and save them locally) and have a lot of media from WhatsApp, iMessage etc... I also download my music, I like having as much of my media available for Offline usage, so I need more storage in my devices,but I do have a 2TB iCloud for backing up all my stuff to.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
IMO 64GB is laughable these days. You might be able to get away with 64GB for another year but 2-3 years down the line it’s going to cause you problems.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.