Thoughts on apple keeping the touchbar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JWATT, Sep 12, 2018.

1. JWATT macrumors member

Everyone was saying it would be eliminated, but apple has decided to keep it. I don't mind mine, but it gets annoying when I'm trying to adjust the sound and accidentally touch siri because she disconnects my bluetooth headphones for a few seconds, which sucks. I like the emoji keyboard, but I rarely use it.

2. airlied macrumors 6502

airlied

Siri button can be removed from touchbar or move far away from sound slider.

3. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Fine with it, but would love a physical escape key back, the rest of the function keys they removed can stay removed for all I care.

4. Playfoot macrumors member

Not a hope that Apple will surrender the gimmick. Now to be fair, I have heard that it is liked. Although among the 200 or so people I know, all professionals, no one likes the TB and sees it as a gimmick.

I think the most we can hope for, and it essentially 0 chance, is an option to have with physical function keys or with TB. However, for self preservation, I am not holding my breath.

5. CreeptoLoser macrumors 6502

CreeptoLoser

You can move or remove shortcuts

6. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

It is ever so slightly less of a gimmick with Better Touch Tool, but yeah it’s still mostly a gimmick

7. airlied macrumors 6502

airlied

It would be less gimmicky for me if I can use it to show some system info like cpu speed temp fan speed memory pressure. If you know any app can do this please let me know

8. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

They were not gonna remove it unless doing a full chassis redesign. The true break point will be next years model presumably

9. 1096bimu macrumors 6502

1096bimu

You do know that you can remove the Siri button, or even customize the entire bar?

10. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

I think most here realize that.

The pity is that it can't be customized off the damn machine.

11. jerryk macrumors 68040

It seems to work as intended which is just differently than the non touch bar. I actually am starting to prefer certain operations like raising and lowering volume, and key and screen brightness.

12. VR46 macrumors member

VR46

More like everyone was saying it wouldn't be eliminated, can't imagine anyone who knows Apple would have expected them to backtrack on the touch bar.

13. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

Not sure who said it was going to be eliminated - especially since even if Apple wanted to remove it, they wouldn't out of principle. You can't just dub something as the next best thing and then just go back to what you bashed - they'd have to have an acceptable 3rd option. It is telling that the touchbar, even 2 years on, hasn't been implemented in any other devices (including the Apple keyboard).

14. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

15. JWATT thread starter macrumors member

No, I saw a lot of people saying it was a failure and pointing out evidence about it being replaced.

16. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Lots of people say that they don't need function keys, and that tb is great for them. I hope apple comes out with full touch keyboard in next gen, so they can enjoy touch interface even more :D

17. Pangalactic macrumors regular

Well there is some chance - after all, they did surrender the MagSafe...

...oh wait, it wasn’t a gimmick, never mind.

Seriously, we can expect anything from Apple, they are so desperate to be innovative that I wouldn’t be surprised to see a huge touch bar replacing all the keys or some crap like that.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, I don't see apple removing it, but I wouldn't be surprised that apple doesn't roll it out further either. It was not well received, it hasn't been really embraced by the developers.

19. ruka.snow macrumors member

ruka.snow

Thought I would hate the touch bar but so far it has proved exceptionally useful in everything from text input(giving me suggestions) to having some quick shortcuts for running my unit tests. I will however mirror that the escape key would be a welcome return, however since it has helped me write with fewer mistakes and do my day to day coding faster, it is a welcome addition.

20. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

21. ascender macrumors 68020

I can guarantee they will have prototypes running with an all glass keyboard like the iPads. If there’s haptic feedback involved, I’d be really interested to see just how that feels.

And imagine how thin the laptop could be

22. Broslowski macrumors member

I kind of like it... customisation can be made to suite your need, and you can completely disabled it to the point only FN keys will be always displayed.

23. Mr Screech macrumors newbie

Mr Screech

There is nothing 'pro' about it.
    Pro's watch the screen while their hands feel which buttons to press.
    Impossible with the touchbar.

Leave it for the air and macbooks, not the pro.

24. buran-energia macrumors regular

25. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Indeed. By far the most important thing in a 'pro' laptop. Make it throttle even more :D