Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I haven't seen any other threads on this, so I figured I'd start one.

What's your opinion on the Apple Store dress code and policy on tattoos, piercings, etc? I was at the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. last night, and the girl working up front had a dozen piercings visible, and when I pulled up (on bike) there was an employee standing on the side near the front smoking a cigarette.

I personally don't really mind, and I actually thought the girl was very attractive (don't tell my girlfriend), but I wondered how more conservative, middle-aged people would react to that sort of thing. It kinda bugs me in a way too, actually. Most of the time when I ask employees about specifics, I seem to know more than they do (unless they're Geniuses), so it kinda feels like they have no real standards when hiring. But for someone looking to buy their first Mac, who might not be too fond of tattoos or piercings, to get an eemployee that really can't help them out, well... that's just bad.

So... any thoughts?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Great question!
Here are my thoughts. First, Apple thrives on being creative and therefore, I would assume they would allow some sort of creative expression such as tattoos and piercings. However, depending upon your state, an Apple Store Employee smoking in front of the store can be against the law. Many laws say they have to be 25' away from any public building. Now, laws or not, the simple fact that I am subjected to walking through his cloud of smoke so that I can pay 2-3x the price for a computer than if I were to head to say Compusa and get a Gateway (hah hah) is 100% unacceptable to me. It is called decency and that guy lacked it.

In store employees who appear altered do not bother me. They are nothing more than just employees. In my experience one in every five employees (floor staff) that I've spoken too knew what I knew or less. That isn't saying much since I haven't been on a mac much longer than a year now.

Middle-aged people who feel offended by the girl will probably seek out another employee. At least that is my experience.

As far as dress code, rest assure if she was in violation they would not allow her on the floor. It's the nature of retail.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
livingfortoday said:
I seem to know more than they do (unless they're Geniuses)

I've yet to come across a 'Genius' that anywhere near lives up to their job title ;) and that's of far bigger concerns to me than tats and piercings *wiggles lip ring with tounge* ;) :D

livingfortoday said:
But for someone looking to buy their first Mac, who might not be too fond of tattoos or piercings, to get an eemployee that really can't help them out, well... that's just bad.

Where do you draw the line though? there are people out there that are not fond of black people, or women, or homosexuals or the disabled... but to any normal person, not hiring them because people might be potentially offended by their colour, gender, sexual preference, physical impairment would be unbelievably ludicrous.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Ya

I feel like it's borderline descrimination to tell someone "not to work the floor" because of tats and piercings.

When I did my initial walk into an apple reseller, and did the whole "I wanna buy a Mac, can you tell me why I should?" The guy helping me was all tatted up, and seemed casual to say the least, but to this day, he's still the most friendly and helpful apple seller person I've spoken with.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
iGav said:
I've yet to come across a 'Genius' that anywhere near lives up to their job title ;) and that's of far bigger concerns to me than tats and piercings *wiggles lip ring with tounge* ;) :D
To me, this is the crux. I've met two who really impressed me. I couldn't tell you what they were sporting, but they listened well, and gave solid input. It's gotta happen from inside out, not the other way.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Anyone who judges based on someone having tats and piercings negatively is a dumbass anyway. Smoking? Who cares. They are suppsoed to smoke away from the entrance, but if not I don't see a big problem, it's not like you're standing in a line next to the guy inhaling all of it.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
An employee smoking outside the store is doubtless disappointing, but I'm struggling to understand why tattoos and piercings 'bug' you. Is there some basis to your discrimination, or is it just prejudice?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ok, first thing, I've stated "I personally don't really mind", and I really don't. I've had numerous piercings in the past, and just from personal experience with how I was stereotyped when I had them I wondered how people felt other customers might react to things like that in a professional environment.

I think it's interesting that most of the responses have been overwhelmingly positive in favor of the right of employees to decorate themselves in any way, and I'm glad. I really don't care either way, what bugs me is when they don't know what they're talking about, 'cause that just makes me feel like Apple has no hiring standards.

However, to play devil's advocate, if I went into a car dealership to drop $20,000 on a new car, I'd want to be greeted by a professionally dressed (ie suit, tie) salesman who knew what he/she was talking about. I don't see why I would expect less if I were going to buy a new Quad Core or an overly expensive Mac. Do you feel that Apple specifically can do things like this, or would you be ok with any business having employees with tattoos, piercings, and in t-shirts and jeans sell you things? Hell, even the Dell kiosks in malls have people with ties...

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
As someone who is prone to a few body mods of my own, I (naturally) don't mind at all. But I was under the impression that Apple had a strict policy of no visible piercings except ears (and maybe a nose stud since everyone seems to have them nowadays) for their retail stores?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
If only Apple would implement a policy of their employees actually knowing something about what they sell I'd be happy. I could care less if they look like the illustrated man or the cover of GQ.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
livingfortoday said:
Ok, first thing, I've stated "I personally don't really mind", and I really don't.

Fair enough, but you did indicate that it bothered you:

livingfortoday said:
It kinda bugs me in a way too, actually.

I fail to see the correlation between the value of an item and the clothing of the salesperson. Regardless of the product, I'm looking for a salesperson to be friendly and knowledgeable, and have good personal hygiene. Once those criteria have been fulfilled, everything else is pretty much irrelevant.

livingfortoday said:
However, to play devil's advocate, if I went into a car dealership to drop $20,000 on a new car, I'd want to be greeted by a professionally dressed (ie suit, tie) salesman who knew what he/she was talking about. I don't see why I would expect less if I were going to buy a new Quad Core or an overly expensive Mac.

Have a bash at substantiating that statement. Provided that the salesperson meets the criteria outlined above, what difference would their attire make? Why exactly would you want to be greeted by someone wearing a suit and tie?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Brize said:
Have a bash at substantiating that statement. Provided that the salesperson meets the criteria outlined above, what difference would their attire make? Why exactly would you want to be greeted by someone wearing a suit and tie?

Because I want to be served by someone who looks and acts like a professional if I'm going to make a huge purchase like an automobile. Like it or not, it's hard to get away with going into business situations or even job interviews looking like you just rolled out of bed. People like it when you can convey an air of seriousness and professionalism, to show that you are someone who cares enough about the job and about them, the customer, to take it seriously.

Again, I don't have any intention on getting into a personal debate about this, I'm just curious about peoples opinions on the original subject.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
livingfortoday said:
Because I want to be served by someone who looks and acts like a professional if I'm going to make a huge purchase like an automobile.

Again, fair enough, but that doesn't really answer my question. I was trying to understand the difference a salesperson's attire makes to your experience as a customer. Clearly, it makes no material difference provided that the person otherwise meets with your approval.

You seem to have some fairly rigid ideas about what constitutes professionalism. There are plenty of stuffed shirts out there who look the part but are otherwise clueless. I can't help but think that this is about a perceived lack of deference on your part.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
livingfortoday said:
But for someone looking to buy their first Mac, who might not be too fond of tattoos or piercings, to get an eemployee that really can't help them out, well... that's just bad.

So... any thoughts?
My thoughts.... For someone looking to buy their first Mac, who might not be fond of suits or conservative style, to get an equally clueless employee but this time in a suit-like store uniform, well... that's just as bad.

I like the liberal style.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
As long as they can do their job well enough, who cares what they look like or how they dress.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I'd probably find myself gravitating towards the alt. looking employees, you know, magnetism...

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
I couldn't care less about the piercings and everything, whatever, but the smoking would bug me, and I think that it can make a buisness look bad to have employees standing right outside smoking.... sooo annoying. The moment that happened @ CompUSA was the moment I started hating it. ;) :cool:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
joepunk said:
The tattoos and piercing would not bother me much at all. Now smoking right next to the door would definitely get me in all huffed up.
If I saw an employee huffing iKlear in front of the store (or inside), I'd probably wander back out and order off the Web.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I made a joke at the Apple Store openign here in Annapolis that it looked like you had to be pierced, tattooed or gay to get hired. :D

I don't mind it as long as they are properly groomed. Some people in our store are just ..dirty. Of course most of them run when I come in now anyway. :eek:

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
xsedrinam said:
To me, this is the crux. I've met two who really impressed me. I couldn't tell you what they were sporting, but they listened well, and gave solid input. It's gotta happen from inside out, not the other way.

That is so well expressed. never mind Apple, seems to appy wherever and whenever. I hoep you don't mind if I rip that expression and apply it? You'll get the credit of course. :)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I think I can follow livingfortoday's logic.

I know a few folks who look the way they do for the "shock factor". They are all about making the people around them uncomfortable. Not everyone with a tattoo does this, but some do. Anytime my cousin comes around, someone mentions how she's dressed (usually my 93 y/o grandmother). Heck, even what she talks about is all aimed at shaking people up. Personally, she gives people with tattoos, multiple piercings, and who dress in black a bad name. But she adds to the stereotype.

You might not have a problem with the appearance of the employees, but would your parents? Last time I was in the Indianapolis Apple Store I noticed all the younger employees standing around while the older folks were sought out by customers, specifically older customers…

I have worked with a couple of very conservative organizations. One had an extremely restrictive dress code. No visible tattoos, one set of ear rings (for women, none for guys), no facial hair for the guys (or gals, I guess), hair must be off the collar for guys. I have heard they have relaxed a bit, but it is still pretty tight. Without this policy, the employees would quickly upstage the "magic" and be a distraction to the guests.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
ejb190 said:
You might not have a problem with the appearance of the employees, but would your parents? Last time I was in the Indianapolis Apple Store I noticed all the younger employees standing around while the older folks were sought out by customers, specifically older customers…

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that employees with piercings and tattoos present a potential problem to their employers because certain demographic groups are more likely to pander to stereotypes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.