Thoughts on magnetic car mount?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DashSatan, Jan 19, 2016.

1. DashSatan macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Reinfor...5427&sr=1-1&keywords=car+magnetic+phone+mount

That one seems to be the highest rated one. I'm wondering how good these magnetic mounts are though? Aren't you not supposed to have your phone or tech near magnets, or has technology moved passed that?

Also to anyone who has this mount, it looks like you need to place part of the magnet on the inside of a case to connect, but I don't use a case. Do I have to place that on the back of my phone and keep it there or put it on anytime I want to mount my phone in the car?

2. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

I have a magnet mount that connects to my unused CD player and it is fantastic! Never had any problems with my phone from use (I think technology has moved past that). It is great to not be fiddling to attach my phone to a mount, just put it close and there you go!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2016 ---
    Also check out my earlier post on a similar topic...

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/car-mounts-cradle-or-magnet.1928072/

3. DashSatan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. The only thing I'm still wondering is it seems they all use 2 piece technology, and one piece you have to put on the phone in order for it to magnetize. Is it like a sticker that's just always going to have to be on the back of my phone and leave a mark? Or is it a full on magnet I can just put on and remove when I'm in the car?

4. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Most magnets are stickers that have to go on the back of the phone. It's not recommended to put on and off as the sticky residue will probably affect the back of the iPhone and lose it's "sticky" over time. The best recommendation is to use a case and put the metal tab on the back of the phone with the case over it. My wife has her 6+ with an Apple Silicone case and the metal tab inside. No issues.

5. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

I have the iMagnet mount, and it works well. Just don't plan to move it between vehicles, as most of the mounting force comes from the sticky substance vs. suction. I als have the plate inside my phone case, but I affixed it to the case instead of the phone