Thoughts on my logo?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Dazmatze, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dazmatze, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

Dazmatze macrumors newbie

Hey,

I was just wondering about your thoughts on a logo I made. It would be used for my upcoming graphic design website. Any tips on the colour, size etc.. is greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Meaning no disrespect but I feel it's unimaginative for a designer.

3. Dazmatze thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not a designer yet, I'm only 15. But thanks for the 'constructive critism' :p

4. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Not bad Dazmatze, but if you're charging clients for design services then YES you ARE a designer, or at least that's what you're telling your clients. In that case you will be needing a nicer logo to back your title. My advice would be to make everything more self contained (ditch the lines coming off of the K) and remember that the human eye usually moves top to bottom and left to right. By having the K on the bottom left your telling the eye to go somewhere it doesn't naturally start from so to a lot of people it just won't look right. I get you want your initials to be prominent, but right now only the K is prominent so maybe balance the two a bit more. Remember to keep things simple. The simpler the better and it always ends up looking more professional which is what you want to tell your clients. I'm also a not a fan of the blue. Maybe some more eye catching colors might work a little better, but start designing in black and white first THEN move on to a color scheme. Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree.

Put the S and the K together horizontally.

6. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

It's bad. I know you're only 15 so you have a lot to learn! Still, I don't think it's a good logo. The idea is interesting, it's just not there yet. Try playing around with it, see what comes up. Avoid using cheesy effects like bevel and emboss.

7. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I think you're just jumped into Photoshop or Illustrator without a a concise plan of attack or any real research.

The type doesn't work I'd really suggest following it up with a little bit of reading on Typography 101, and I'd strongly suggest checking out http://ilovetypography.com/ http://www.smashingmagazine.com/ and http://abduzeedo.com/ they will have some very good information with design and process that you're really lacking.

Sorry I but I tend to disagree with the comments, if it were me I've probably be combining the S and K in some clever matter because the type is far to "jilted" to be readable in the context... Haven't had a coffee so I have no clever ideas for the moment.

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

So, if you're only 15 and not a designer (yet), then why do you need a website and a logo? Is this just for an avatar, or are you planning on marketing yourself? If so, who do you see as your clients? That will help define the look of your logo.

10. Dazmatze thread starter macrumors newbie

Im just experimenting at the moment.

----------

After coming back to the logo after about 2 hours I realised how awful it really is, but thanks for the replies.

11. TheGenerous, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I believe graphic designers study basic techniques in schools or in their own. They don't just "experiment" and call themselves "graphic designers." Unless you have worked as a graphic designer or have a degree you can't just call yourself one.

For instance, I can't call myself a particle physicist until I've published my work in the field or I got my PhD done. Just because I solve problems and learn what everybody in physics knows allows me to present myself as a particle physicist ;[

I think it's disrespectful to designers in general.

This guy is young and isn't yet a designer, but sure he can be called one;
    http://www.minimallyminimal.com/
    http://www.minimallyminimal.com/journal/2011/8/24/pal.html
    http://www.minimallyminimal.com/journal/2011/2/10/polyply.html
    http://www.minimallyminimal.com/journal/2011/4/25/warp.html

12. YESimBLUNTED macrumors member

But I have Photoshop so I must be a graphic designer! :p

+1

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Reminds me of this and this

I've really been getting the impression lately (not talking about the forums) but how to become a graphic designer goes likes this:
    1) Buy a mac
    2) Buy Photoshop and Illustrator
    3) ???
    4) Set up a web site
    5) You're a designer.

Seriously it's been like this for the last few years with applicants sending through portfolios to my department, the quality has been terrible not to mention hardly any formalised training... It's funny more than anything.

14. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Agreed. What really grinds my gears with this though is:

"Hey everybody, I'm starting up a site of Web Design and I would appreciate your opinions on my logo idea! Thanks"

(opinions given)

"Oh.......well you guys aren't very nice because even though I specifically asked for your OPINIONS I didn't really want you to actually give them to me!"

Geeezzz people!! If you don't want honest opinions from your pears A) Don't ask them definitely don't post you work in the design section of an online forum!!! And B) If you can't take criticism then don't become a professional designer or developer!!! :mad:

15. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Wow, he's really good.

16. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

If this logo is for a website, the S and K are to far apart and would take up to much room on the masthead or anywhere else on a web page, or be to small to give space on a page.

I would agree that if you keep this design that the 'S' should be in front of the 'K', etc.

Try to be a little more creative with the 'S' 'K' combo. sketch out some ideas before do them on the computer. I find that ideas come quicker to me with a pen and a piece of paper first.

17. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Amazing work!

18. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

19. chatfan macrumors regular

chatfan

So 10 things we learned from this thread

So 10 things we learned from this thread:

1: Don't post your very first design online 5 minutes after you made it and ask for opinions.

2: If someone says something you don't like, tell them you are 15. It will excuse you from everything. Works even better if you have a doctors note.

3: Save face by claiming you realize it sucks and vanish.

20. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

But, have you noticed that most people who have formal training are usually pretty darn good. It's extremely rare to find someone who is a great designer that has no formal training. In my experience those who have gone to a decent design school play at a different level. Not just at making things pretty, but knowing the process to make things that are unique.

21. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

I agree. While I am completely self taught and have managed to land a well paying job, I still see some of the innovative stuff coming out of the design schools and quickly start picking apart my own work wishing that I could go back in time and take some courses. Not so that I can learn Illustrator and Photoshop, but so that I can learn those processes that THX mentioned. That being said, I think if you're self taught and you have the "always learning" attitude and are always learning the DESIGN part of being a designer you could make a career in something you love doing. Keeping up to date in trends is also important. Speaking of which, I need to drastically update my site and portfolio. YIKES!!!!:p

22. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

@THX1139,

You're correct. Most people think design school has to do with learning the adobe suite in computer classes, and of course most of us realize that we can learn to use those programs by playing with them.
    The truth is that design goes far from using those programs — we know "using" is different than "creating with" a program. And yes, formal school allows you having direct contact with talented people, all in real life, for the rest of your college life.

23. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Talent > School

By all means, go to design school. But embittered naysayers along the way trying to tell you you're not a designer because you don't have a piece of paper to prove it are best ignored.

Skill is different to talent. Keep experimenting, develop your skills; I don't know if you have any talent yet, but if you do, the rest is just math.

Keep at it.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

And where did the OP say any of this? Oh wait, he didn't. There are no edits under any of his comments and browsing through all of them didn't yield anything like what you posted above.

The OP was just asking for some constructive criticism, but unfortunately he is mostly getting just criticism for trying.

25. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Myself and other did offer extensive constructive criticism actually. And here it is
    Mine VVVVVV
    Others VVVV
    And so far, the OP's only response has been VVVV
    And that was it!! We started off trying to help and then he didn't like it and left!!!

You are correct that I wasn't actually quoting him. It's called sarcasm. Yes it's a little immature, but you know what? Like the other DESIGNERS here I was offended! He wants to design a logo for his "Web DESIGN business", but when he gets honest criticism then he says "I'm only 15 and not a designer yet." So my question to him (if he's still monitoring this) is a) Why would you post something for public criticism if you're not prepared to be criticized (even if that criticism is constructive) and b) If you can't take criticism then why would you even consider launching a Web Design site?

And to chrono1081 (if you're still monitoring this thread). Did you even read this thread before attacking? This thread is full of designers who started off trying to help a young start up and he didn't want to accept the advice we gave willingly. But, he obviously didn't care enough to at least TRY to listen and that is insulting. If you don't want to hear peoples opinions about your work DON'T POST IT!!