Thoughts on new setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ironsoccerman, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

Hello all...

Right now i am considering a new computer for use for an indefinate amount of time.. im in high school and wondering what is the best for me...

Base mac mini (edu discount 580) plus 90 dollar monitor and magic trackpad and wireless keyboard and portable with refurb 16 GB ipad 1 for 300 = about 1300

OR

base 13 macbook pro = about 1150 with edu discount

So i will be primarily word processing with all of this for school... i can use the wireless keyboard with the ipad and the new iwork suite for iOS. just want peoples opinions.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok,

What are your needs right now? Games, movies, internet, etc?

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What do you use your machine for? Any specific apps you need?

4. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

i have an ipod touch 4g, so i dont need a huge amount of ipad storage..

and only moderate to light gaming on mac mini (trainz for mac, plus maybe some more)

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

How important is word processing to you, while being portable. Do you need to write reports at school? If you do then this could get tedious on an iPad. In which case go for the Pro.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You still didn't quite answer my question. However, a Mac Mini will do fine with the little things you have said you do.

7. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Actually yes i probably will go with the notebook. Thank you for the reply. that was my original plan but once they dropped the price of the mini, that plan came about.

----------

thanks. that was mostly it actually... :)

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How portable do you need it to be? Because if you need to go here and there, then an MBA will also work.

9. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

True. I will likely need the computer more for the power and I will need quite a bit of storage because I have a lot of photos and movies. For what i need storage wise (the 11 inch screen is also too small) i would be looking at the high end one

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

However, like I said, how portable do you need to be? Because I see in your original post you are considering an iPad, which is portable and plenty enough for writing reports and web surfing.

So you would need a computer for at home and a bit more heavy usage. If this is the case then I would suggest the Mac Mini route.

But if you need portable power, then a MBP 13" or a MBA 13"

11. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Well thank you. This now leads to much more time spent mulling over... Especially since i am a new mac and i am using all of my own money :D

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

First buys are always scary at first and can make you think in circles about what you truly want.

13. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. I am about a month maybe 2 away from having enough money. and then i may have to wait slightly longer for the rumored refresh of the mbp... if i decide that way:rolleyes:

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, the wait will be long. MacBook Pros are in the middle of a refresh cycle (180 out of 387 average refresh cycle days), and Mac Minis & MacBook Airs have just been updated.

If anything it's the Mac Pros and iMacs that are most likely to be upgraded.

15. ml.sail1, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

ml.sail1 macrumors regular

More than likely just the Mac Pro's as the iMacs were updated after the MBP's, it will be a little while till either of those (MBP and iMac) are updated.

Oh and to the OP, unless the app store card is really important to you, though it will be gone by the time you plan on buying (ends like sept 30th) get the Apple store to price match Microcenter on the base 13 inch for $999, I had asked my local Apple store and they said they would honor a price match and give me apple care for the student price.

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Refurb 13" MacBook Pro FTMFW.

And plan on buying apple care within the first year, no matter what Mac you get, refurb or new.

17. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502