Thoughts on smart covers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ryan.apham, Sep 16, 2011.

?

Should I get a black leather Smart Cover or a third party case?

1. Smart Cover.

67 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. A third-party case.

40 vote(s)
    37.4%
  1. ryan.apham, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

ryan.apham macrumors member

Should I get one?

I want to get a case which looks sort of classy/elegant/professional/business-like. Black colour will be nice. Not like some childish Angry Birds case that my cousin is using.

I am not too serious about functionality (I do not care about waking up ability and so on) but rather than looks/design. I am afraid that I will not be allowed to try on the cases on my iPad, so I need advice from you here.

Edit: I think that some people here have misunderstood my post. What I am asking is whether the smart cover looks classy/elegant/professional/business-like? And whether there might be other suitable choices. Price tag and functionality are just add-ons, I do not really care about it.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Bought A Smart Cover

But didn't like the metal on metal with the hinges and magnet, so have a shell case now for use around the house, and a black leather case for out and about.

3. ryan.apham thread starter macrumors member

Meaning you have to change the case for your iPad frequently :eek:? I want to use one though, having too much headache with piles of cases I bought for my iPhone 4 :confused:.

4. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

5. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I have the gray poly smart cover and thats really the only case/accessory I have for my iPad 2.

6. ahbdesign, Sep 16, 2011

ahbdesign macrumors member

I don't think the leather smart covers are worth the price. I have an orange one and it's nice to use around the house, as a stand or can be taken offeasily (which is how I prefer it to be used), but it is close to half the price.

I'd probably suggest a nice portfolio type of case. They'll probably cost the same as a black leather smart cover and look more business-ey.

EDIT: I don't think the magnet wears off. I've been using mine since launch day and it's perfectly fine. I assume you mean the 'leather' will wear off!

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I don't like them. I think they make the iPad more awkward to hold when using it because you have to hold the smart cover against the back of the iPad to stop it from flapping about. They don't protect the back of the iPad at all and I don't even really like the "clever" folding design.

I think they're eyecatching and novel, but overpriced and ultimately disappointing.

8. kyle.tyrrell macrumors newbie

I have a smart cover and also a Snugg for iPad 2.

I quite like the naked feel of my iPad so i do tend to use the Smart Cover when around the house but when I take it out I use the Snugg. TBH if your just looking for 1 case then i would thoroughly recommend it. Looks smart and similar functionality of the smart cover.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugg-Leather-Elastic-Premium-Interior/dp/B004QIPH5U

9. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

How is Angry Birds childish? I see grown men playing it all the time

Angry Birds is like pokemon its made for kids but older people can enjoy it too

10. StuB macrumors newbie

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

They are good but get dirty easily which doesn't look great

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'd say get both if you can afford it.

I find the Smartcover to be really useful but it offers little protection if you want to toss the iPad in a bag. So I use both. Got a Booq hardcase that fits the iPad with the cover on.

13. ryan.apham, Sep 16, 2011

ryan.apham thread starter macrumors member

It is not wrong if you play the game during your spare time. What I am trying to say, is that the case looks childish. Imagine if you have a business meeting, you need to take your iPad out to take notes, and there you go, a shiny Angry Birds Case :mad:.

This case looks nice, but I don't quite like the white thread.

Will keep in check. However I want something that is real leather. I am afraid that faux-leather or something like that will wear off soon.

Sorry, I meant the magnet will get weaker over time. I quite agree that folio cases look more business-like, but they add too much bulk, and are heavy. Might not even fit in my bag.

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I love the smart cover. Only drawback is the "3 marks" that it creates

15. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

too expensive for what it is, and mine fell apart in less than 6 months. Got a £6 case off ebay which is far better imho

16. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I don't like the way it flops around when I am holding my iPad. But as a lightweight kickstand that doesn't add much thickness there is no better alternative. I have a protective film on the back of the iPad.

17. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I honestly doubt you'll have that problem. As long as Apple made the smartcover with naturally-occurring magnets(rare earth metals, I think. Don't quote me though), It should theoretically last several tens of lifetimes before you start to notice a change in the magnet's strength.

Rare Earth Magnets are not like Velcro. They don't wear out after a few weeks.

18. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I was about to bring that up, magnets hold up their force for a long time. Natural Earth magnets however last a ridiculously long time.

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Only Have To Change

From the shell to the leather case when I take it out of the house. Besides, imlike to clean the back and edges regularly sondo it when I swap them over.

20. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Really? That many people voted for the smart cover.........

21. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Bought one for £59 (Apple price) used it once, I use a normal rubber cover that protects the back of it. Waste of money :(

22. ninerfan macrumors regular

Have tried a number of different cases, but have used my Smart Cover solely for 3 months now and love it more every day. I did just get a Zum Ultimate SC case for the back (you can read my review in the Accessories section above). Now I feel like I have a real keeper combo.

For what it's worth, I haven't had a problem with my Smart Cover leaving dust lines on my screen, ever.

23. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Complex subject.

I have the leather smart cover which is nice and I have a suede jacket that slips over the smart cover.
    http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/ipad-cases.php
    This is really thin so it fits in my computer bag when traveling.

I also picked up a Senna leather zip case for the iPad. It was on sale somewhere for $12. It looks really nice so I use it when I use the iPad to present to customers.

I'm also 99% sure I'll get the Portable Muzetto for iPad.
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

My suggestion is to think through how you use the iPad then you'll figure out what kind of case/bag you need.

The suede jacket is nice because it is thin and protects against scratches and dust. However, it doesn't prop up the iPad and it can't hold any accessories. It's OK for a computer bag but for a backpack you'd probably want something with a little more padding. If you just carry it around campus or to a coffee shop or friend's home then a thin case is maybe enough. If you use the iPad for business/classes and for overnight trips then a larger bag is needed to carry the charger and maybe a wireless keyboard.

Watch dealmac.com and other such sites for deeply discounted iPad accessories.

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Black Leather Smartcover + Black ZAGG Leatherskin creates a really nice feeling device, even if it looks a little bland and low key.