Thoughts on someone who wont really return the favor.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iLikeToDrum, Jun 1, 2011.

1. iLikeToDrum macrumors member

Alright, so I there's a rather well known person on Youtube who's videos I shoot and edit: for free. I have done several now, every single one to his liking. Every single one has a very large hit rate.

My problem? I do it all for free, but ask that he somehow helps me get my name out there too. I have asked him to post my link on his Youtube/ Facebook(s). He has posted it in like 3 of the videos descriptions, but NEVER on Facebook. He think's somehow, it'll make him look bad because he doesn't post anyone else's that asks him. Thing is, those other people, don't do anything for him. I MAKE HIS CAREER POSSIBLE!

We both do relatively the same exact stuff(music cover videos).

It's extremely upsetting as he has SEVERAL thousand subscribers, I have about 275. That's it. I just want a larger audience, feel like it's more worth it.

Am I asking to much for him to post my link?

What are your guys thoughts on him?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like the business relationship is a little too one sided. I would stop helping him if he is not going to help you out.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Stop doing this stuff and lesson learned, don't do stuff for free.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would mention all that hard work you do, and you feel a little slighted that he won't help

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Start doing videos for yourself that will get big hits and quit doing his.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

My videos are cleaner than his, he got plugged by some BIG Youtubers early on because they were fascinate with what he was playing(metal stuff)

Should I just be gutsy about that and understand I have nothing to loose?

8. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Yes, you should be gutsy about it as you have nothing to lose. If that freeloader won't pay you or even give you proper credit, but still wants you to do the job, just tell him "GFY" (sorry, can't write the acronym in full because of profanity filter). That's what I would have done.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

If you edit the videos then why aren't you putting yourself in the end credits with a link. You know, "Edited by..." If he says something about it when he sees the video then you know he's not willing to give proper credit where it's due. Like many have said, if this problem can't be resolved to a point where you both benefit then I would move on to focusing on your own goals and pursuits.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Most definitely! Its time for an ultimatum. As of now you're not getting anything out of this deal.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't stand up for yourself no one will. You can explain the situation in a calm and mature manner. How he takes it is his problem. If he's smart he'll realize doing the little request for you will mean you'll be open to doing the large requests for him. If he says no, then you can turn around and say the same thing to him.

12. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

just take over his page and plug yours to all hell for 24 hours and then say yo if you helped me i wouldnt have to.

i kid.
    if ya dont ask him for help then there can't be any improvement

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you've not all ready explained, tell him that this is a symbiotic business relationship except currently it's not functioning as such. He is getting what he needs, but you are not. If you want credit for editing, insist upon it or stop doing free video editing.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, my first instinct was to say "Who cares? It's just YouTube" but I'm not foolish enough to ignore the success stories out there.

The bottom line is: You think you might have what it takes to become "rich and famous" on YouTube. Or, at least, "more" so than you currently are. But you're not, because (a) you're spending all your time editing someone else's videos instead of your own, (b) he has, through some good fortune, much more exposure than you, (c) you hope some of that will rub off, but (d) he's not sharing enough credit to your liking.

Your options are:

- Accept it as status quo.
    - Simply walk away right now. (This will most likely ruin the relationship you have with him.)
    - Decide what is acceptable credit (a credit in the video? A link in his channel? A link in his Facebook account?) and politely insist on it. Remind him that he always has the option of editing his videos himself if he won't give it to you. Be specific, with a measurable goal ("I want to see a credit link to my channel at the end of every video we do from now on" is better than "I want more credit").
    - Continue status quo with him but try to market your channel yourself through other means, including website exposure and perhaps collabs with other people. This may also mean changing the focus or style of your videos to attract a bigger audience, who knows.

Entirely up to you to do something, though, or things will never change.

15. elizabethjane macrumors member

elizabethjane

16. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

I really like what you have said, offering multiple suggestions and outcomes. I think I will continue and do his next shoot, and tell him I need credit for my work. my NAME in the description isn't cutting it, I need a link to my channel.

It's not asking too much, is it?

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

nope I do not think it is asking to much. You did the work and most people I know would be happy to spread the word and advertise for someone who did work for them big time if it was for free. It a nice thing to do and a great way to thank you for doing the work.