Thoughts on splitting Powerbook / iBook from MacBook MacBook Pro Forums

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by 840quadra, Mar 4, 2010.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone had similar thoughts on the subject of dividing up the Notebook forums a bit, and or migration of them into different groups.

Currently most discussion and posts in the notebook forums are around the subject of intel MacBook and MacBook Pro models, with much less of them being part of the G4 (and earlier) iBook and Powerbook lines. Because of this, topics or requests for help are often buried for these pre-Intel models, and some go completely un-answered.

It is obvious (mostly because of my username) that I am a fan of older Apple hardware, and feel that the G4 and earlier machines deserve their own sub-forum to help those that want to / need to discuss those models a place to call home, and or get proper attention.

Suggested sets of Subforums

Suggestion #1
    • Macbook Pro
    • MacBook
    • MacBook Air
    • iBook (G4 and Earlier)
    • PowerBook (G4 and Earlier)

This listing would add 2 additional forums to the currently existing 3. I personally don't see this as an issue, as the site is MacRumors, and Apple Notebooks currently outsell their Desktop Systems. Also, we currently have 5 iPhone subforums, so having a stronger division of notebooks should not be an issue.

Suggestion #2
    • MacBook, MacBook Pro
    • Powerbook, iBook
    • MacBook Air

This listing would keep the current 3 forums, but migrate the G4 and earlier systems into one group, and the Intel systems into their own group.

Suggestion #3
    • MacBook
    • MacBook Pro
    • Powerbook, iBook
    • MacBook Air

This is the same as above, however the MacBook model line has been given it's own forum. This division is a bit confusing as Apple themselves have changed the definition of MacBook and / MacBook Pro by doing simple 'badge engineering' on the 13" models by their recent name change.

Thoughts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think it would be a bad idea to start separating pre-Intel machines into their own forum. I've also noticed threads dealing with the earlier models go somewhat unnoticed. They tend to get lost in the shuffle.

I'd even go so far as to say a "G4 Macs" forum would be appropriate.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

solution #2 looks like a great suggestion. I think it would clearly show where each forum member would have to go for advice. Splitting via architecture is a better idea then splitting via models imo.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Option 2 makes sense. Maybe add a 4th option, Arrandale ****s.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

isnt option 2 sorta that scenario? but with MBA seperate - i kinda like that idea.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I like option 2 too - and I'd apply this treatment to the desktop forums too - Intel iMacs/Mac mini/Mac Pros and PPC iMacs/eMacs/Mac minis/Power Macs.

I'd also combine the MacBook Air forum into the MacBook/MacBook Pro forums, too.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think the PPC should get the same treatment as the intel macs! so yea i agree. have a sub forum for each product/model.

hmm idk. MBMBP = portable, MBA = ultraportable. i think they should be sepereate

9. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I will also have to agree with option 2 as well.

But what about the imac g4/5 and powermacs?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

they are in a compeltely different section of the forum, silly!

they go with the desktop section, this is only for notebook section. i think.

11. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

True Ture... I was just thinking out loud that if you change one wouldn't you maybe want to for the others? :p

But enough of my banter back on topic to the notebook section.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahhh of course, mysilly!

Notebooks:
    ->MacBook, MacBook Pro
    ->PowerBook, iBook
    ->MacBook Air

Desktops:
    ->MacPro
    ->PowerMac G3, G4, G5
    ->iMac Intel, MacMini Intel
    ->iMac PPC, MacMini PPC

maybes?

13. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

:)

Thats like what I was thinking but ditch the G5 end on the powermac so it can include both G4 and G5. :)

Otherwise I think you and I are onto something.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

fixed! me like

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I like this one. It keeps what we (basically) have, which is a differentiation between Apple's current lineup, while providing a place for the older hardware. I don't think that there's enough forum traffic for iBooks and PowerBooks to separate them into 2 forums, and likewise I think there's too much traffic to try to put the MacBook and MacBook Pro into a single forum.

16. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Agreed!

Well everyone what do you think are we onto something?

17. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I would like to post a further suggestion. Keep the separation between Desktop/Notebook for Intel, but create a new category for PPC and then have a subforum for PPC Notebook and PPC Desktop. Just keep them away from the Intel section altogether. My following comment is not flamebait, but I do think that even the last PPC computers are getting a bit elderly now, and so there is no reason to keep them with new computers.

18. iTattoo macrumors regular

iTattoo

I agree whole heartedly with this. #3 is the best option from a traffic issue. Traffic is the reason that PPC Macs are getting run over, no point in creating the same issue for the two most popular lines of Macs.

19. iTattoo macrumors regular

iTattoo

Actually this is the best idea yet. I'd wager that the percentage of the Mac installed base, that is PPC is in the single digits, and declining. It may be the best way to get resolution to issues / questions, if everyone is pointed in the same place. I'd further wager that in 4-5 years give or take a bit, the whole section will be redundant anyway.

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Isn't it about time to move the PPC stuff to the "Apple Collectors" forum? ;)

We understand the desire to keep PPC stuff from getting swamped by Intel, but at the same time we try to limit "forum bloat". As you can see, we've got plenty of forums already, and it would be very easy to grow to ridiculous numbers that would make it even more difficult for members to find appropriate forums to read and post in.

It's also something of a sticky situation because in many respects the late PowerBooks and iBooks are nearly identical to their successor MacBook Pros and MacBooks. Consequently, many questions raised about one type are just as applicable to the other.

One piece of information we'd like to see is a survey of numbers/proportions of PPC threads versus Intel threads in the affected forums. If anyone here wants to help put that together, it would be greatly appreciated. If a concern is that PPC threads are getting buried, the implication is that there aren't all that many of them. But if that's true, are there still enough of them to support a dedicated forum? And won't they continue to dwindle as the last of the PPCs become even older?

After all, I don't think we'll be starting a forum devoted solely to the Quadra 840, although I'm sure the OP would appreciate that too. ;)

We'd love to keep hearing people's thoughts on this topic, though. It's something we obviously discussed when the Intel machines were first coming up, and it doesn't hurt to revisit those decisions as times change.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Basically.

quadra's idea wasn't to create more forums, rather "realign" them. It also seems to me that if forum bloat was an issue you could eliminate rarely-used forums such as...

-Distributed Computing
    -iPod touch hacks (why not just combine all of that junk into one thread similar to hackintosh in the iPod forum?)
    -iPhone 3G and 3GS Launch meetups (irrelevant)
    -iPhone News Discussion (Why is there an iPhone News Discussion forum but not a Mac News Discussion Forum- or is "Apple Industry..." considered the equivalent? Why wouldn't/shouldn't iPhone news be moved there at this point?)

22. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Awesome suggestions and discussion. It is nice to see that others have similar thoughts, and good suggestions too.

Forum bloat is something I understand and want to avoid. I had been a moderator of a large car forum that is similar in size to Macrumors, and understand and respect that supporting something that size can be an epic task!

I fully support this idea ;)

It is likely one of those nagging topics that come up from time to time. I did try to search for a similar thread in this sub-forum, but didn't find anything too recent.

That is exactly what option #2 was intended to do. Since the MacBook and MacBook pro share so much hardware, as did the iBook, and Powerbook models, the topics are actually more inline with each other, than the current split (just my opinion as I don't have exact stats).

When the current split first happened, I remember seeing various posts that could go in either forum (MacBook or MacBook Pro), because the topic had to do with questions on both models, and still were not exactly buying advice questions.

I have always considered the Collectors forum to be more or less, systems that are too old to run OS X, however, we are starting to see more and more G3 - G5 posts in that forum. I don't think they are old enough yet, but that's just me :) .

I wouldn't mind seeing some of those deleted or merged with other forums. I would be :( to see the Distributed Computing forum die, but could understand if it did.

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I understand that...I primarily meant that as a general consideration to help frame the discussion.

To answer a few of your questions here:

1. Distributed computing is a concept we decided to support long ago to help certain projects such as SETI@home and Folding@home. Has it maybe outlived its usefulness? Perhaps, but as 840quadra notes, many of us would be sad to see it go. Could it be merged into something else? Possibly, such as Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion. Or maybe made a sub-forum of that if we wanted a compromise solution.

2. The hacks forums seem rather popular to me, much more popular than Hackintosh discussion, and it seems logical to separate that from straightforward iPhone/iPod touch discussions, even if only for clarity.

3. The launch meetup forum is obviously out of date and we probably should have just hidden it, but it may very well make a comeback for the iPad launch, so its time will likely come again. :)

4. iPhone News Discussion is just like the other news forums. When we write an iPhone Blog article, the thread gets automatically created there. We don't have a corresponding "Mac Blog", so there's no Mac News Discussion forum. The iPhone News Discussion forum is under the iPhone section instead of the News section mainly because of its specific topic.

And of course, Apple does annoying things like splitting the MacBook line and then renaming part of it as MacBook Pros, which confuses things even further. Should aluminum MacBook threads go in the MacBook Pro forum? :)

We obviously like to maintain consistency so that people know where to find things, and so it's a balancing act to keep up with Apple's changing product lineups while still trying to maintain a sense of order with the past.

Keep throwing out comments and ideas...we're listening.

24. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

miles01110 idea is actually a good one. Why is there a separate forum for iPhone and iPod Touch hacks? They should just be the same forum.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The Macbook Air is a notebook, it should be in there with the others, no need to separate it out.