Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
I just received an offer from Micromat to upgrade to TechTool Pro 9.6.2. The last time I upgraded this app was with version 4. I really haven't needed it since, but I'm told that it's the only tool that can repair APFS disks.

What are your thoughts? Is this a decent utility or should I pass?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I used it once perhaps 10 years ago. Found it didn’t do anything more useful than what I could already accomplish with built in tools at the time. They definitely stretched the marketing to make it sound powerful and like it could do something useful.

After trying to get it to do something, and finding that it was useless for me, I haven’t touched it since.

I haven’t researched it recently. But I would expect anything it can do for APFS to be temporary. APFS isn’t even a final product yet. It’s very much in its infancy. So I’d expect any 3rd party tools will need regular updates.

And as for saying they can fix a corrupt file system, that is not a guarantee that it could fix any corruption. Some corruption situations just aren’t recoverable on any file system. It happens. And my experience is that sometimes 3rd party tools only scramble the situation worse.

Reactions: BrianBaughn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.