Thoughts on the iPad 1 vs iPad 2 Design

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ahbdesign, Sep 30, 2011.

?

So, what iPad design (structurally only, and ignore the weight) do you prefer?

1. iPad 1

32.5%
  2. iPad 2

58.4%
  3. Both

9.1%
  1. ahbdesign macrumors member

I was just curious to know whether there are some people out there who prefer the iPad 1 design (externally only) over the iPad 2 design.

I myself have an iPad 2, but for some reason, I prefer how the iPad 1 looks, it seems to use a different kind of aluminium, and just looks a bit classier IMO.

So, iPad 1 or iPad 2? (Design only)

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

personally I have both the iPad 1 and iPad 2. I like both designs, though the shape of the iPad 1 makes it seem more robust compared to the iPad 2.

3. skyton macrumors 6502

The external appearance and feel was one of the reasons I didn't upgrade my iPad 1.

I think this is entirely personal and subjective but, for me, the iPad 2 feels a bit cheaper - specifically the back.

4. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I prefer the original as well. I also prefer the iPhone 3 external design rather than the 4. The 3 felt smoother in the palm.

5. ahbdesign, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

ahbdesign thread starter macrumors member

Yea it definitely looks more robust. I feel apple put more effort into their first gen products as they do for the 2nd gen.

yea, as I said, I felt that the aluminum used on the iPad 1 was better.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I know this is not about the weight but in my opinion the iPad 1 had a nice weight and feel too it that the new one does not have. I also like the curved aluminium. The iPad 2 looks ugly IMO with its flat back and whole for cameras. It feels cheap. Now don't even get me started on the iPad & iPad 2's with 3g....
    End of rant. PS I am not biased as I own neither I am just really opinionated :D

7. anthdci macrumors 6502

8. ahbdesign thread starter macrumors member

I don't think the iPad 2 looks ugly. Then again, I don't think apple makes any ugly products. The curved aluminium on the iPad 1, although impractical does look better! :)

9. Skika macrumors 68030

I prefer the sheer material of the 1, but i like the design of the 2 better.

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

In terms of pure aesthetics, the iPad 2 wins. The tapered and then flat back, is also way more comfortable to hold, than the first generation. To me(having had the first gen for a year, and the iPad 2 since April), the iPad 2 is just as structurally sound, as the first, due to the one-piece, unibody construction.

11. flightmedic macrumors newbie

I think the ipad 2 is sleeker looking and the reduced weight is a plus for it.

I bought the ipad 1 because of price point and after a few days I think it does feel more solid, sturdier.

Give and take, but all in all, if I had the cash I would've gotten then ipad 2.

Jim

12. skyton macrumors 6502

I have to agree the weight factor is certainly a bonus for the 2.

I hope the 3 will be a combination of lighter weight of the 2 and the feeling of quality of the 1

13. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I think the reason why iPad 2 seems to be 'cheaper' in hands when compared to iPad 1 is because Apple had to slim down the thickness of the iPad itself to reduce weight. Plus, batteries cannot be made in a round-shape, so a flat back may increase the maximum use of space.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Really?? What shape are AA batteries?

15. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I'm talking about the ones that are used in devices like iPads, iPhones, iPod Touch, Macbook Pro, Macbook Airs. When I said 'cannot be made in round-shape' I meant curved, sort of like flattened out U shape.

16. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

iPad2 blows iPad1 away, and i really liked iPad1.

Hopefully the iPhone 5 will have the same design.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

ipad1 looks and feels a bit more sturdy, but i much prefer how the ipad2 feels when you hold it. it isn't just the weight, but the actual shape that feels better. i hope the ipad3 is thinner and lighter (of course).

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think the original iPhone looks and feels nicer than the 3GS, but I'd always choose the 3GS to use.

19. ahbdesign thread starter macrumors member

Seems like there are indeed a lot more fans of the iPad 2!

Yea the original iPhone looked like a premium phone with its choice of materials. The 3G and the 3GS, although very comfortable to hold, don't have the same premium feel as the original or the 4 for that matter.

20. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Although I have never held the iPad 1 if it's anything like the iPhone 4 then I prefer the iPad 2 design to hold as I do with the iPhone 3/3GS curved back design compared to the iPhone 4.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You missed my point, even though the 2G looked better, except for the idiotic headphone jack, I would choose a 3GS to use any day of the week.

22. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

it depends since this asthetics over function, IMO the ipad 1

23. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I think the design was one of the main things I was disappointed with when they announced the iPad 2.

I like the angular lines of the original, and how crisp the back looked. The newer design allows for a thinner profile, but it doesn't look as good IMO.

24. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Agreed. The iPhone 1 really looked like a work of art, or a luxury car. The 3GS, which I really like, is a cheaper-feeling variant. The iPhone 4 is back to a similar (but not the same) level of polish, but I actually prefer the 3GS for comfort (I like the curved back WAY more than the flat one of the 4). That said, the white 4 is a beauty. (I have the black-- didn't want to wait!)

25. ahbdesign thread starter macrumors member

This is because the 3GS is faster, correct? Why else would you use it, and why not a 4 instead?