Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Best Buy is currently selling the 64GB iPhone X for $749, with is actually $20 less than Apple sells them refurbished.

I generally replace my iPhone every three years (Bought iPhone 4 in Nov. 2010, iPhone 5c in Sept. 2013, iPhone SE in Mar. 2017) so it's a bit too soon for me to replace my SE, but I'm starting to feel the new gadget itch and this seems like a pretty decent deal. Since it looks like Apple is done with 4" iPhones, I figure I gotta rip this band-aid off sooner than later anyway.

I can likely sell my iPhone SE on eBay for $200 (Maybe more, listings are kinda all over the place), which would ideally bring this down to to around $625 out of pocket. (Plus Best Buy will give me 5% back in store rewards on my purchase, so roughly $38 in rewards.)

Any thoughts on the iPhone X at that price? Should I just wait it out another year and hope a new 4" model surfaces instead?

Or maybe I can just grab that Series 3 LTE Apple Watch that B&H is selling for $284 instead and try to avoid using a phone altogether.

Hmm...

Reactions: BluefinTuna

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
As long as you are OK with the size, i.e. you can handle it with ease... Then you will absolutely love the iPhone X!

To me, this is the best iPhone I've ever had (coming from a 3GS, 4S, 5S and most recently the 6). Face-ID offers some true innovation. So easy to unlock the phone, auto-fill passwords and even being able to just glance at the phone, in order to reveal notifications on the home screen without unlocking the phone. Also, the gestures and Home Bar are such a natural way of interacting with the phone. Very well implemented, with haptic feedback, for example when swiping up to close apps. Moreover, I really enjoy the stainless steel and glass design as well as the fantastic OLED-display.

Altogether it's very much a premium-experience, and (to me at least) feels very unlike any previous iPhone.

Can't imagine how good the XS must be!
...But then again, it's an additional $250. I say go for the X! (Or XR if you like the design and the size/feel).

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I just picked up a new X for $700. I'm not sure if this is considered a good deal or not, but I can say without a doubt that I do not regret it one bit. The OLED screen is beautiful, FaceId is flawless, and battery life considerably longer.

I dislike bigger phone also and thought anything bigger than my 6s would be an issue, but it's not. The X is only slightly bigger than the 6-8, is very pocketable with a slim case, and can be used (mostly)one-handed. I've had it for a week and fired up my 6s today and the screen looked tiny and the phone felt small in my hand. Needless to say, I've adjusted and so will you.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
iPhone X is still an amazing phone today. iPhones are so over-powered they're screamers for a few years.

The camera is a bit behind but not too bad.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Any thoughts on the iPhone X at that price? Should I just wait it out another year and hope a new 4" model surfaces instead?

Or maybe I can just grab that Series 3 LTE Apple Watch that B&H is selling for $284 instead and try to avoid using a phone altogether.

You started a duplicate thread already, which I answered you in that one as well:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-iphone-x-at-749.2174274/#post-27204920
But a slightly elongated opinion:

Between an iPhone X and a Series 3 Apple Watch, I wouldn’t purchase the series 3 Apple Watch (Not when the Series 5 is coming as well). The iPhone X would definitely be my choice, And it will hold value much better over the Series 3 Apple Watch when you decide to sell it later on.

Also, even if Apple were to implement a smaller iPhone in the future, it’s likely not until 2020 and I doubt we will see a 4 inch display ever again, maybe something larger to that extent.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Thanks for the input, folks.

I think I'm probably leaning towards passing for now. I figure I can get at least another year of use out of my iPhone SE and I'd rather put that $750 into maybe a set of Airpods or a new Watch instead.

Still damn tempting though.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
And now it's $699. Gah!

I'd also get $60 in store rewards I'd get back via 5% back on my Best Buy Visa and a $25 gift card bonus offer for spending $250 in store, meaning I'd get roughly 10% back pre-tax.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
And now it's $699. Gah!

I'd also get $60 in store rewards I'd get back via 5% back on my Best Buy Visa and a $25 gift card bonus offer for spending $250 in store, meaning I'd get roughly 10% back pre-tax.

I think it's important to consider the iPhone 11R will likely have dual-rear camera and 4GB of RAM.

For $699, it's a decent price if you need a phone right now. But do you need a phone right now?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I think it's important to consider the iPhone 11R will likely have dual-rear camera and 4GB of RAM.

For $699, it's a decent price if you need a phone right now. But do you need a phone right now?

The only way I'd buy a 11R is if it's the size of the X/XS or smaller, which I don't see happening.

The XR is way too heckin' huge for my preferences.

I don't, my iPhone SE is fine. Battery's a bit shot and I'd rather not put the cash into fixing it, so I'll just have to live with it.

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
They have it at $649 plus tax if you have Sprint, AT&T or Verizon. T-Mobile, which I use, got shafted in that we are asked to pay $100 more. So I'm glad that I traded in my 7 on an Xs at the Apple Store. After using an X for a week, I can say for certain the the Xs does have a visible speed upgrade especially in Face ID. People are making it seem like the X is identical to the Xs but it's not. I had them back to back and I could tell the difference. Still worth it at $649 if your other options are the 8 or Xr.

-Shock-

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Just an observation, I went to pick up one Friday. Had 4 huge specks of dust in one of the camera lenses. Exchanged for another, and same thing in the upper lens. I gave up at that point. Not sure if a factory issue or what...

Iphone QC is really terrible these days, I have seen multiple:
  • XS with bends/curves
  • X/XS with pink tints on oled
  • XRs with bends and terrible LCD backlights

Reactions: igroeg

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Just an observation, I went to pick up one Friday. Had 4 huge specks of dust in one of the camera lenses. Exchanged for another, and same thing in the upper lens. I gave up at that point. Not sure if a factory issue or what...

Iphone QC is really terrible these days, I have seen multiple:
  • XS with bends/curves
  • X/XS with pink tints on oled
  • XRs with bends and terrible LCD backlights

Can't speak to the Xr, but I've definitely seen and experienced the bends and pinks on Xs models. Pathetic for the price.

This is an $800 phone on its best day, without any build quality issues.

Last edited:

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
Can't speak to the Xr, but I've definitely seen and experienced the bends and pinks on Xs models. Pathetic for the price.

This is an $800 phone on its best day, without any build quality issues.

For some reason my iPhone Xs is in perfect shape. Maybe that’s because it’s a later production model that I bought last weekend. Never had a phone with absolutely nothing wrong with it before.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Iphone QC is really terrible these days, I have seen multiple

I don’t mean to single your post out, but I always have a problem when someone says ‘Apple has horrible/terrible quality control’, because that’s just based on your own anecdotal opinion. I mean, anyone can make the counter argument that they may not have had any issues with Apple‘s products. And let me tell you of all the Apple Watches, iPads, iPhones, AirPods, etc. that I purchased, _not_ one of them has had any type of defect, and yes, I’m a very particular person.

I get your frustration, but to say that as a broad stroked statement about their quality control being ‘terrible’, that’s not accurate.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
IPhone X is a good substantial iPhone
Sound is good, speed is fast. Cameras are good albeit not the best compared to iPhones or others a year later

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
IPhone X is a good substantial iPhone
Sound is good, speed is fast. Cameras are good albeit not the best compared to iPhones or others a year later

I would say it’s opposite, the camera on the X is actually much improved over the previous years with the other iPhone models, in comparison, it’s significantly better than 7, but more on par with the 8 dual camera. The Ratings on the iPhone X camera were some of the highest for the iPhone in years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.