Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Are you kidding me? The GTX 1050 will completely decimate MBP, it's not even close. GTX 1050 is going to be 10% faster than 970M. And 970M has performance of 2,657.3 GFLOPS.

You are confusing the 1050 and 1050 Ti. The 1050 is only a modest upgrade over the 960m and barely faster than 460 pro if at all. Also, the 460 is marketed as a professional GPU, for all that's worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP and aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I thought for sure we had to wait till CES. I guess they might have already cleared out most of their Skylake XPS15 stock and they just want people to hold off buying the 15-inch MBP?

They are still not selling the new XPS. And currently I don't see anything when I click that link, just an empty page with a picture (maybe the 'announcement' was a slip?). We don't know when it will be available. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see availability anywhere.
[doublepost=1482266072][/doublepost]
Why isn't this thread in another forum?

Because this is Dellrumors now. Sometimes it is Razerrumors, depending on the day.

Reactions: HenryDJP

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
Coil whine?

Buggy trackpad drivers that never get fixed?

Any of that ring a bell when it comes to Dell laptops?

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
As I said several times - the 9550 launch was a complete mess. For the complete crap that Dell pulled, Apple would have gotten an unprecedented beating. Devices killing itself. Shutting off for no reason. Bluescreens 10x a day. It took six firmware updates to get the 9550 in a useable state. The 1080p version wasn't in such a bad state, but suffered from other horrible issues.

I could not be happier to have sold my XPS 9550 a few weeks ago. The trackpad sucked (granted, they all do next to the MacBook) and the screen on my 1080p version had a response time of > 85 ms that was confirmed by several sites that tested them. It was so slow I could easily see blur while watching Netflix / YouTube and moving the mouse left a white ghost trail similar to the old option that crazy people enabled in Windows settings a decade ago.

Check the notebook review's XPS owners lounge and see for yourself that the grass is definitely not greener on the Dell side.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I think that people have said pretty much all that can be said about the pros and cons of the XPS and MBP. I just want to add that the XPS has such a massively dated design. Dell cannot seem to swerve that 90's plastic brick feel no matter how hard they try whilst the MBP looks like its from the future in comparison.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
At the end of the day its still Windows, and even worse its a Dell

No thanks

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
London
As I said several times - the 9550 launch was a complete mess. For the complete crap that Dell pulled, Apple would have gotten an unprecedented beating. Devices killing itself. Shutting off for no reason. Bluescreens 10x a day. It took six firmware updates to get the 9550 in a useable state. The 1080p version wasn't in such a bad state, but suffered from other horrible issues.

I could not be happier to have sold my XPS 9550 a few weeks ago. The trackpad sucked (granted, they all do next to the MacBook) and the screen on my 1080p version had a response time of > 85 ms that was confirmed by several sites that tested them. It was so slow I could easily see blur while watching Netflix / YouTube and moving the mouse left a white ghost trail similar to the old option that crazy people enabled in Windows settings a decade ago.

Check the notebook review's XPS owners lounge and see for yourself that the grass is definitely not greener on the Dell side.

Oh I agree, id have never touched the 9550, here is hoping 9560 actually is a decent improvement (there was confirmation of a motherboard redesign to solve various issues). Skylake generally screwed a lot of Windows laptops - but now drivers have matured and kabylake not seeming to upset - combined with the anniversary update it could be an okay machine. Don't expect it to be perfect and Dell still worries me, but will be interesting to see how it pans out.

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Good point.
The MBP uses a 76WHr battery where as the Dell is detailing a 56 WHr battery

You can get the Dell with a FULL HD Screen with MATTE option and a 97wh battery. Should give you around 10-12 hours of moderate work.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I am personally surprised it has been announced already.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

Kabylake Quad Core

GTX 1050.

32GB 2133mhz RAM

Hmm, I can't say I am not tempted to trade up, although Dell scares me to my bones.

That's a great machine and Dell is great it's the whole Apple mystique and Apple Store experience you don't. Get with Dell. Far better performance for less than half the price. Just Remeber to get Dells Max Level Warranty.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I think that people have said pretty much all that can be said about the pros and cons of the XPS and MBP. I just want to add that the XPS has such a massively dated design. Dell cannot seem to swerve that 90's plastic brick feel no matter how hard they try whilst the MBP looks like its from the future in comparison.

Yeah don't know what exactly Dell uses for the keyboard deck, some form of soft touch carbon fibre, however if like the 2015 models, it will just be a grease magnet, maybe wrong, possibly difficult to clean. Don't doubt the build quality with outer being aluminium, however lot of the display models I have seen, kind of don't want to touch, nor am I super picky.

Still leery about Dell, although since now back in private hands, believe they are improving significantly, personally I would rather opt for a Thinkpad P50/70 over the XPS. I rather feel Dell's deigns are not super functional like the Thinkpad and not as clean or well thought out as Apple. As ever new Dell is likely a decent system if it meets you needs.

When the reviews land, we will all know a lot more...

Q-6

Crowdx44

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
California
So I had an XPS 9550 and returned it due to battery life was disappointing. I then tried a MBP 2016 and I have to say the XPS felt quite unwieldy compared to the MBP. Also for gaming I found the Dell got quite a bit hotter and it's vents are underneath, so if you sit it on your lap you are most likely blocking some of the vents.
I have been comparing the 9560 price vs the MBP 2016 with Radeon 460, 2.7ghz and 1tb storage and it runs pretty much $1k more than the Dell.
My main need is good battery life and a top notch screen. Both the MBP and Dell have the screen, as for battery life, the 9560 is not out in the wild yet and so no user reports on how much the bigger battery added to the Dell battery life.
One last point, the Dell 4k with the larger battery is around half a pound heavier than the MBP.
My main concern that is currently stopping me from jumping ship to the MBP is that everything is soldered on the board with the MBP, it seems that that kind of puts the extra expense of Applecare into consideration if I want peace of mind on an investment this large for the next 2 - 3 years.
Just for reference, I am a windows user all the way back to Windows 3.1 ;)

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I actually bought a 9550 again recently (after owning the 2016 13" non-TB MBP since launch) -> unless Dell can match the read/write speeds Apple achieves, I just can't make the switch.

The 2016 MBP just feels so much snappier. It's weird for the base config, 2.0 Ghz i5 dual core to feel faster than the quad core i7 in the Dell, but Apples optimization/SSD actually make it feel that way (at least for me). And that's with programming/writing music/installing large sound libraries.

I ended up returning it and realized how much I love the non-TB 2016 MBP.

Crowdx44

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
California
I actually bought a 9550 again recently (after owning the 2016 13" non-TB MBP since launch) -> unless Dell can match the read/write speeds Apple achieves, I just can't make the switch.

The 2016 MBP just feels so much snappier. It's weird for the base config, 2.0 Ghz i5 dual core to feel faster than the quad core i7 in the Dell, but Apples optimization/SSD actually make it feel that way (at least for me). And that's with programming/writing music/installing large sound libraries.

I ended up returning it and realized how much I love the non-TB 2016 MBP.
So it's not just me, I also felt that the MBP was faster too. With the 9550 I had to change all it's cpu stepping to get it to playback music in Studio One without lots of dropouts.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Dell should scare you to your bones. Stunning hardware ruined by terrible BIOS updates. They break more than then fix.

Run (former 9550 owner...paid $2,299 for it, sold at a catastrophic loss)

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I'm always amazed when folks ask about another brand on a Mac forum.

Exactly. You don't go to BMW dealership to ask about Chevy... If you want to bargain though, you do.

But hey, we like to converse about tech gadgets here. I am willing to help genuine and interested fellow Forumer pick Dell too.

But sadly I don't know much about Dell because .... I'm using macs. If you are looking for PC I would recommend Lenovo Thinkpad series, wayyy better engineering and heritage then Dell. Price in the same ballpark.

I still have BTO T410s. Machine is slow like hell (even with SSD drive + 8GB RAM and fresh Win7 x64) but I like it. BTW: with such specs mac will fly...with Windows it crawls.

If you are looking for PC, my advice is to take the highest spec - BTO config to make it future-proof.

Maybe Dell community is not active enough? How do they care about customers if they seek advice at mac forums?

LOL

Last edited:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I think you all really need to try out the laptop before making a judgement.

I have the Precision 5510 (The professional line of the XPS 15 9550) for almost a year now and I noticed a HUGE improvement over the MacBook Pros in all areas from my experience.

1) Battery Life - On average I get about 5-6 hours of battery on the 15" MBP. Compared to the Dell Precision 5510, I average approx. 6-7 hours for the same usage. It's not a huge improvement but its slightly better on a day to day thing. If I feel I cannot survive with 1 charge on the MBP, it'll be the same for the Dell and vice versa. However, if you compared to paper; the Dell has vastly better battery performance. The larger 6-Cell battery on the Dell is rated at 81 Wh. The MBP comes with 95 Wh. For something that's quite bigger but getting same or almost the same real world performance? Yeah. the Dell really beat the MBP on this one.

2) Performance - Raw CPU performance is the same. I have the Xeon E3-1505M processor on the Dell and on paper it is slower than the 2013 MBP with the 4960HQ. However, during everyday usage including handbrake conversions, the performance is about the same with the Dell beating the MBP on some areas. Remember, because of the laptop form, thermals plays into a huge part in performance and the Dell just has better thermal performance for me. It ranges typically around 35-75 deg C at any given time since I've owned the system. The MBP usually ramps up to upper 90s but shy from 100. During the last Handbrake conversion, the MBP hit its thermal ceiling and needed to throttle back away from its max rated turbo speed. The dell chucked away at its maxed rated turbo speed the entire time with no throttles at all.

3) Memory - 32GB vs 16GB. Can't beat it. Just face it. Don't try to fight me on this because its not about who's right; its just simple common sense. The other day, I was playing Civ 6 running at High + native 1920x1080, running macOS 10.12.2 in a virtual machine with 2 vCPU and 16GB Ram AND running ubuntu linux in a VM with 1 vCPU and 8GB shared to the VM along with Chrome opened with approx 15-20 tabs, outlook, messenger, a number of background apps and streaming airplay onto the TV and I was able to switch back and forth between ALL apps with no lag whatsoever. Did not even have any slowdown or wait for the game to reload all the graphics at all. It just ran and ran wonderfully. My total RAM usage was approx 27-28GB total. No matter how optimized macOS is or the MBP, its still limited by the available ram.

4) Graphics - I have the nVidia Quadro M1000M with 2GB ram on the Dell. It blows the nVidia GeForce 750M 2GB found in the MBP out of the water. Just take the Civ 6 game for example. On its built-in benchmark, I get 15-20fps with 1920x1200 @ Medium settings. On the Dell's Quadro card, I get 40-50fps @ 1920x1080 with HIGH settings. That's on a workstation, professional card. Imagine if it was its counterpart (960M) it would be even slightly faster.

5) SSD Performance - This is probably the only area that the MBP really beats the Dell. Compared to the 2013 MBP, I only get 700-900MB performance. On the Dell, I'm getting about 600-900MB performance. Not the best but pretty similar and overall, I think the MBP is a bit faster.

6) Form - The webcam position sucks on the Dell. Enough said. Overall, the Dell is smaller, sleeker, looks better, possibly lighter but I can't really tell between the two. The small bezel on the Dell just beats the MBP hands down. The touchpad works just as well; much better then any other PC's I've used. I can easily say the Dell's touchpad is equal or just 95% equal to the MBP's touch pads.

Full specs of the Dell:

2.8GHz Intel Xeon E3-1505M (3.8GHz Turbo, 4 Core, 8 Threads)
32GB DDR4 2133MHz Non-ECC Ram (2x16GB)
512GB Samsung nVMe SSD Integrated w/ Encryption
2GB nVidia Quadro M1000M Graphics Card
15.6" LED Backlit 1920x1080 FHD Non-Touch Matte Screen
81 Wh 6-Cell Integrated Battery

Full specs of the MBP:

Late 2013, 15" Model
2.6GHz Intel Core i7 4960HQ
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram
1TB Samsung SSD, Apple Branded
2GB nVidia GeForce 750M Graphics Card
15.4" LED Backlit 2880x1800 Retina Glossy Screen
95 Wh Integrated Battery

Reactions: Fancuku and Queen6

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I
I have the Precision 5510 (The professional line of the XPS 15 9550) for almost a year now and I noticed a HUGE improvement over the MacBook Pros in all areas from my experience.

You are comparing a 2013 MBP, most likely with a deteriorated battery, to a 2016 Skylake-based Precision. A 2016 MBP will run circles around your Precision. The only thing it doesn't have is a 32GB RAM option.
[doublepost=1485346720][/doublepost]
You can get the Dell with a FULL HD Screen with MATTE option and a 97wh battery. Should give you around 10-12 hours of moderate work.

I think this post does a very good job of summing up my opinion of the XPS. Nice specs, but in order to get usable battery life you'll need to downgrade the screen. The MBP is simply a more pragmatic computer and it does a better job in balancing the overall experience. Of course, the price point is very different. By the cost/feature ratio, the Dell is a clear winner.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Crowdx44

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
California
I am seeing a lot of stuff on Reddit now that the 9560 is arriving in people's hands and it looks like Dell QA is a joke. Everything from the infamous coil whine to screens with dead pixels and some of the panels with a yellow hue across the screen. For so few users that have received their 9560 it seems like a lot of issues. Not very encouraging :(

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I am seeing a lot of stuff on Reddit now that the 9560 is arriving in people's hands and it looks like Dell QA is a joke. Everything from the infamous coil whine to screens with dead pixels and some of the panels with a yellow hue across the screen. For so few users that have received their 9560 it seems like a lot of issues. Not very encouraging :(

We see the same thing here, with each new MacBook release. Its not different, and we can't quantify who's QC is better based on reddit/online forums.

The XPS 9650 is a great machine, and it outdoes (to one degree or another) the MBP in hardware, for less money (last time I checked, at least). But it is a Windows 10 laptop. If you are set on getting a windows 10 laptop, you are more likely to be comparing the xps 15 to the newer surface book, etc.

For now, I prefer macOS to windows 10 for LAPTOP use. That may change one day, as windows 10 is improving constantly. I already prefer Windows 10 on a desktop.

If you bought the MBP, why are you on here bashing the XPS 9560? You already spent the large sum of money (like I did). So move on and enjoy the machine. Same if you bought the XPS 9560.

If you are on the fence, go elsewhere, like reddit, Tom's Hardware, or somewhere less biased (if it exist). You aren't going to get good answers here.

*The exception good Ayeying, who posted a bit above me; but his post is the exception to the rule here.

Reactions: Queen6

Crowdx44

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
California
We see the same thing here, with each new MacBook release. Its not different, and we can't quantify who's QC is better based on reddit/online forums.

The XPS 9650 is a great machine, and it outdoes (to one degree or another) the MBP in hardware, for less money (last time I checked, at least). But it is a Windows 10 laptop. If you are set on getting a windows 10 laptop, you are more likely to be comparing the xps 15 to the newer surface book, etc.

For now, I prefer macOS to windows 10 for LAPTOP use. That may change one day, as windows 10 is improving constantly. I already prefer Windows 10 on a desktop.

If you bought the MBP, why are you on here bashing the XPS 9560? You already spent the large sum of money (like I did). So move on and enjoy the machine. Same if you bought the XPS 9560.

If you are on the fence, go elsewhere, like reddit, Tom's Hardware, or somewhere less biased (if it exist). You aren't going to get good answers here.

*The exception good Ayeying, who posted a bit above me; but his post is the exception to the rule here.
For me I have not bought either, I have used both the 9550 and the MBP 2016 for a couple of weeks each and I have to say functionality was very similar. Where the MBP killed the 9550 was weight/feel in the hand and the battery life. I was hoping with the bigger battery that the 9560 might get it closer to the MBP.
Something as a Windows 10 user I am starting to see with MacOS is that you guys seems to avoid having to do all the "optimizations that a Windows user does when they first setup windows (change power saving options and even update cpu stepping in the bios on windows machines to get better battery).

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
For me I have not bought either, I have used both the 9550 and the MBP 2016 for a couple of weeks each and I have to say functionality was very similar. Where the MBP killed the 9550 was weight/feel in the hand and the battery life. I was hoping with the bigger battery that the 9560 might get it closer to the MBP.
Something as a Windows 10 user I am starting to see with MacOS is that you guys seems to avoid having to do all the "optimizations that a Windows user does when they first setup windows (change power saving options and even update cpu stepping in the bios on windows machines to get better battery).

That is true.

Its one of the advantages to an OS designed around specific hardware. There are plenty, as well as disadvantages.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The XPS 9650 is a great machine, and it outdoes (to one degree or another) the MBP in hardware, for less money.

Thats exactly the thing: it outdoes the MBP in some aspects but then fails short in others. For instance, the XPS uses a screen that looks better spec-wise, but draws a lot of power, which makes is unpractical for mobile use. They use newer quad-core Kaby Lake CPUs, but don't allow you to upgrade the CPU to a higher-tier model (which means that my 2016 MBP with 6920HQ will most likely outperform the Dell in scientific applications). They give you Thunderbolt3, but cripple it (which again limits professional use). Dell has a faster GPU (nominally), mostly because of higher clocked VRAM, but its also hotter and less suitable for professional computation applications (its a gaming GPU on which Nvidia artificially cripples double-precision and half-precision performance). They still use slower WiFi. And the design of the cooling system: hello dust!

Again, its a great computer, and amazing value for money. But I just don't see it being in the same class as the MBP.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You are comparing a 2013 MBP, most likely with a deteriorated battery, to a 2016 Skylake-based Precision. A 2016 MBP will run circles around your Precision. The only thing it doesn't have is a 32GB RAM option.

That is true but with how technology has advanced since the release of the 4th generation Intel Core technologies to current 6th generation, it hasn't advanced much to the point where its a big deal. The only advancement is how much resources a system has to work with that will determine the real performance and thats where the Dell excelled and the MBP failed.

For example: On paper, you can see that the 2013 MBP with the highest available i7 processor (at the time) compared to the highest processor allowed during the purchase of the Dell (at the time), the 2013 MBP comes out faster than the 6th generation skylake processor found in the Dell. See attached screenshots from 2 results randomly from Geekbench.

Your battery concern is true. The 2013 is running on an older battery compared to the Dell. However, comparing the actual capacity size available, the Dell still beats out on top. Why do I say that? Well, my current specs for the 2013 MBP battery is degraded but it is still at approx. 80Wh capacity. At any normal day to day uses, it gets roughly around 5-6 hours which is great for a battery that is 15-18% wear level. The Dell, which came with a 84Wh new capacity, currently is at approx. 76Wh if you count in battery wear, gets 6-7 hours usage from day to day. Overall, the skylake chipset is more energy efficient but overall, it still beat the MBP, even if it was by a little, it still came out top.

My point is, the MacBook Pro is not the best computer ever created or the best computer on the market or whatnot. Overall, every company has and will make a good product. While I can't speak for QC issues or other issues that might come up, Apple's not God and they don't make the "best" products in the world for the price. There's plenty of options and at the end of the day, all that matters is: does your product work with your workflow? If it does, regardless if its PC or Mac, then you're good. If it doesn't, then switch it up until it works with your flow.

The whole comparison is a joke. Even though I say the Dell beats my MBP in every department, I still use my MBP more because of my workflow being more consistent on the Mac. But regardless, I still like the Dell due to its performance and capabilities and surprisingly stable for Windows. If I could have the same apps that I normally use on macOS be merged with Windows (or vice versa); I would switch and be dedicated to one OS in a heartbeat. However, that's not an option for me. Personal preference I have both likes and dislikes between both laptops. For example: I like the dell's form factor much better. Its smaller, sleeker, and overall good looking. But software wise, I'd prefer macOS because its more uniform and more pleasing to look at. But I'm not 100% fully set on one or the other.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 07.22.13.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 07.22.13.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 07.22.21.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 07.22.21.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 105
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.