Thousands of Apple Retail Workers Now Testing Apple Card Ahead of Summer Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of the Apple Card's planned summer launch, Apple is now testing its upcoming Goldman Sachs credit card with thousands of retail workers, reports Bloomberg.

Apple was previously allowing its corporate employees to test the Apple Card, but is now expanding testing to a much larger group through an internal beta program that launched this week.

[​IMG]

Employees are able to sign up directly from their personal devices, with the Apple Pay portion of the card activated immediately and a card scheduled to be sent within two to three weeks. Employees are receiving APRs between 13.24 percent and 24.24 percent, the same APR range that will be provided to consumers.

With thousands of retail workers available, the expansion marks the first wide scale test, allowing Apple to find and address bugs and other problems before the Apple Card launches to the public.

Apple employees have been asked not to discuss the card, but they are allowed to use it in public to make purchases.
    The Apple Card, created in partnership with Goldman Sachs, is deeply integrated into the iPhone and the Apple ecosystem. It offers 3% cash back on Apple purchases, 2% cash back on all Apple Pay transactions, and 1% cash back on all other purchases.

Purchases are tracked in the Wallet app on the iPhone, providing a breakdown of spending across different categories like health, food, shopping, and more. While the Apple Card offers higher rewards for Apple Pay purchases, for instances where a traditional purchase is required, Apple is providing customers with a physical card made from titanium.

Apple is planning to launch the Apple Card in the United States this summer, and Bloomberg says Apple has already been discussing an expansion into Europe with financial regulators. The employees using the card are running iOS 12.4 on their devices, and the iOS 12.4 update is expected to bring Apple Card support.

We've had four betas of iOS 12.4 so far, so a launch may not be too far off.

For a look at the Apple Card and what to expect when it launches, make sure to check out our dedicated Apple Card guide.

Article Link: Thousands of Apple Retail Workers Now Testing Apple Card Ahead of Summer Launch

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

3. JetTester macrumors 6502

4. gabriel32 macrumors newbie

5. ricktat macrumors 65816

6. Freida macrumors 68000

7. ksec, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019

ksec macrumors 6502a

The Sooner the better, we don't want another 5 years Global Roll out like Apple Pay.

Edit: Thinking about it, Only North America, Australia, Japan really uses Credit Card en masse. Europe is much more on Debit Card, China uses WeChat / Alipay for everything.

8. BarrettF77 macrumors regular

BarrettF77

Does this double the manufacturers warranty? Probably not part of the deal. Just another way to ensure we buy AppleCare. Hard Pass.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

A $200 credit limit on a titanium card of course. I’ll still do it.

10. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Clearly that card will get low ratings from iFixit.

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

So, employees are taking a hard hit / pull to test Apple’s CC ! lol

12. Mike MA macrumors 68010

Mike MA

Well, the card looks pretty cool, but the conditions surely are not that superior in comparison. So I miss the killer incentive for joining in to be honest.

13. kenbewick macrumors newbie

kenbewick

will safari be faster on it, does it have a longer battery life compared to my visa card, will there be a public beta version as well?

14. Phogro macrumors regular

Phogro

Buying on credit does not require money in the bank.

15. now i see it macrumors 68040

I wonder if anyone is testing out what happens when payments are missed?
    (I betcha it's not the 24.24% APR guinea pigs)

16. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Think about all the family/friends of Apple employees that ask them to use their discount. Think about the employee putting all of those purchases on the Apple Card, getting instant cash back and having their friend/family just transfer them the cash.

Now does the Apple Card seem worth it for Apple employees?

Idk why some of you love to find ways to hate on LITERALLY everything Lol it’s nuts. Let people enjoy things.

17. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

iFixit will give it a scathing 1/10 repairability score

18. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Jony is going to have to make that card thinner. Does he have any staff left to help him with this epic challenge?

19. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

kinda wish i worked for apple right now) drop that sheet already!

20. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Does in-app purchases count as “Apple purchases”?

21. gabriel32 macrumors newbie

They probably welded everything so you have to get the apple care :confused:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2019 ---
    Is gorilla titanium, but if it falls from 4 feet and breaks warranty won't cover it :p

22. calstanford macrumors regular

It's really nothing special. It's a ****ing cashback card like basically everyone has in their wallet. From a bank (here Goldman), like everyone else has (Citi, Chase...). With an app (like ... yea... all of the banks)

23. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i understand your thought process, but i highly doubt it)

24. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Sooo... don’t get it? Why aren’t people allowed to like things? Lmao.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2019 ---
    They probably do count since they’re billed through iTunes/App Store (Apple).

25. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

right, my citibank app is just like it. except not at all.