Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
From this thread I got to know:
- there are a lot of people around the world with huge amount of disposable income and time
- the said people enjoy waiting in the queue and find it a way to socialize.
- they find it a part of the experience of having an outrageously expensive iPhone
- they’d rather take a day or two off work to have the latest and the greatest gadget as soon as possible instead of using that time to go on vacation.

Most of these people are millennials. Pathetic generation of kids that need instant gratification of something as menial as a cell phone.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Honestly if more people worried about themselves and spent less time worrying about other people’s decisions the world would be a much better place. You get one life. Stand in line for an apple product. Eat the cake. Have one more glass of wine. We all end up in the ground!

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Yes, they all know they could of possibly preordered online or try their luck tomorrow via walk-in but at this point, a decade later, it’s about the experience. No need to diss them, it’s their own form of fun.

I'm lining up tomorrow with my friend to each get a watch. It's something fun and silly to do. I'll sit in line and finish up a website I'm building and hopefully we get our mark!
[doublepost=1537500909][/doublepost]
Dont they have to go to work or something?

People do get days of work from time to time.

vcboard

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2016
In the mean time, 3rd party unofficial shops in Singapore already selling the new iPhones below retail price within hours.

This never happens before. As reference, the Xs Max 256GB is retailing for S$2,039.00 while 512GB is retailing for S$2,349.00 in Apple Store

NdAUJdU.png

Source: https://www.facebook.com/235370653223663/photos/a.637177049709686/1896050470488998/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Only one word can explain this pattern of behaviour, “addiction”. :p:D
[doublepost=1537502498][/doublepost]
:oops::eek:Apologies to the Singaporean souls frying in the heat to make a buck - missed the CRA angle! Do feel sheepish for the quick judgement:rolleyes:.

Comfortable to order from home - not doing it again this year, another launch day passed over.

Risking ones health for a mobile phone = priorities aligned o_O:eek:;):p:D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Sorry to disappoint you, I was at Chermside in Queensland early this morning and there were about 20 - 30 people lined up and the store was full. Australians are just a crazy as the rest of the world.
Youtubers went to Oceania to get their iPhones early.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Great. Deflection. Can you at least stay on the topic. I didn't say anything about how one spends their money. If you're unclear what the topic is, read back a few posts to catch up.

Deflection?
I’m not the one judging how other people should live.

You think your on topic, why don’t you check the title of this thread, and show where where MacRumors, judges how people spend their time or money?

You sound like you really care about Apple. You should not.

Why do you care so much about what he does?

You spend your time defending googles data mining practices on the forum.

Live and let live.

You just made it look even sadder.

Pot meet kettle.

I’m sure he/she would love to. I have yet to meet a person who wanted to criticize what I did with my time who didn’t also want to criticize how I spent my money.

I completely agree.

It’s just weird, no one ever pays them much attention, but they are still at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinsin07

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
I don’t get, why people would do this. Even if you missed the chance to preorder with launch-day delivery (though my carrier still seems to list every model as available on 21th ...), they aren’t limited so you just have to wait a few more days.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If only they were serving BBQ, then I'd wait in line, no problem, just to get the free food.

Vodafine has delays on these phones anyway... so you'll get it quicker at the store... Just you'll miss an entire day doing it..

Not doing anything much today,, better hope not.

Coconutcreampie

Suspended
Aug 31, 2016
NY America
If the Mac Mini ever gets released, I would like to see people line up for it so that it sends a message to Apple.

I want to see that happen in October for a new iPad mini!!!
[doublepost=1537518259][/doublepost]
How can these people who obviously don't have jobs afford these phones?

Mom and dad , or another credit card .

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The iPhone has a long history of for those waiting in line, not just because they want the latest iPhone, but I think there is a certain tradition behind it for those really do enjoy meeting other people, the excitement have a new phone and just having the experience of having the iPhone launch in their city. I can see why some might enjoy this, although I personally enjoy UPS delivering it right to my door.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
I can't believe just how many people either don't have to go to work on Fridays or get time off by their employers to sit around for hours so they can get a phone they could have also ordered online.

Amazing Ox Space Monkey

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
I can't believe just how many people either don't have to go to work on Fridays or get time off by their employers to sit around for hours so they can get a phone they could have also ordered online.
You don’t get it. It’s a “part of the experience” and “they are socializing”.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
You just made it look even sadder.
No it’s not. I wouldn’t do it, but it’s not sad. It’s what they want to do, with their free time, and they will use their money for it. Some people stay in line for hours to watch a football game (which may be even on TV) or a concert, and some people will even pay otrageous amounts for it.
A football game last 2-3 hours after waiting 30-45 minutes in line. The experience of buying the phone lasts for 5 minutes then you go home after waiting 12 hours. Yes it is sad. Yes it is pathetic. Their reasons for coming out are their reasons. I get it. But no matter what it’s foolish and stupid regardless how they feel about it.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
A football game last 2-3 hours after waiting 30-45 minutes in line. The experience of buying the phone lasts for 5 minutes then you go home after waiting 12 hours. Yes it is sad. Yes it is pathetic. Their reasons for coming out are their reasons. I get it. But no matter what it’s foolish and stupid regardless how they feel about it.

Since when duration has anything to do with the quality of the experience? If you have ever been to a packed amusement park - disneyworld included - you know that sometimes you stand in line 30+ mins (at Disneyworld even 1hr) for a 30 seconds experience.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
Since when duration has anything to do with the quality of the experience? If you have ever been to a packed amusement park - disneyworld included - you know that sometimes you stand in line 30+ mins (at Disneyworld even 1hr) for a 30 seconds experience.
Another bad example. You find the need to defend them and we find the need to critize them.

Reactions: yaxomoxay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.