three 2011 27 inch refurbs!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by philipma1957, Jun 30, 2011.

1. philipma1957, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

3. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

thanks! some big mark downs 2000 to 1700 is pretty big for the middle one. actually i could order the lowest price one for 1439 sell my 2009 for 896 only spend 543 to upgrade very tempting!

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I'm sure these are all the special iMacs with the special yellow tint :p Maybe Apple should charge for screens without the yellow tint.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Unless they were reported as having had yellow displays and received panel replacements prior to being put on the refurb store.

I bought a couple of refurbs two weeks ago from the UK online store and the screens were absolutely fine.

6. SixeL macrumors newbie

Is it possible to swap the magic mouse for magic trackpad?
    Will it also qualify under free Lion upgrade?

That's what's holding me back from purchasing this refurb. :eek:

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

They do not qualify for any promotion or OS upgrades. With the refurbs, WYSIWYG.

That said, all in, those upgrades would be around $80-90, less than you're saving on the iMac anyway.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Im 99.99% sure it does qualify.

At least on the 3.1 i5, the problem for me is tax.

$1700 + $150 in tax = $1850

Brand new, no tax, rebate = $1865. For $15 more, Im gonna get new.

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=12811708&cac=Result

however, the 3.4 i7 is $2030 after tax -- $170 less than new with no tax. (no rebates on the i7)

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

http://macdailynews.com/2011/06/11/apple-offers-free-os-x-lion-upgrade-for-new-macs/

Here's an article stating that any new Mac bought within a certain timeframe will receive Lion. I'm not sure whether "new" is the operative word in this instance.

I'm sure Badger's probably right.

But as far as Trackpad goes, that's definitely the case. Judging by previous refurbs though, you might end up with more than you bargained for anyway. A few people on here have reported receiving 8gigs of RAM when they thought they were getting one with 4, and 2TB HDDs when they ordered a 1TB.

10. NEBaghead macrumors member

NEBaghead

I just ordered a 21.5" 2011 i5 Quad Core Open Box iMac from MacMall for 986 with no sales tax and was able to get apple care from them for the same student price.

I got the iMac yesterday from Fedex and who ever had the iMac before didn't even turn it on. Mouse and Keyboard were in original packaging and the only thing that was not wrapped up new was the power cord. All original plastic was on the screen. Pretty happy with my purchase.

11. mackage macrumors 6502

Bingo.

For all those who think Apple is swapping all these displays on the returned iMacs due to yellow tint; keep lying to yourself. If they really wanted to acknowledge the issue then they would have corrected it 3 years ago.

I received 2 refurbs with horrible yellow tint just a few months back. Never again.

12. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Were they a BTO refurb or regular non-BTO?

Seems every BTO I have got from the refurb store were perfect, the non-BTO's not so much.

Why that is I don't know.

I just got a refurb 2.93 with SSD and it is perfect. The screen is perfect. There are a few others as well who got the same model and their imacs were perfect as well.

As with a new one its the luck of the draw as yellowing screens go. With that being said you are more likely to get a new one with a yellow screen than a refurb.

I got three new ones in a row and all have yellow screens. I have 16 imacs for my business and more than a few have yellow screens, The better ones are refurbs.

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The $1439 i5 27" is really tempting, but I will be going with a BTO of that machine, adding the SSD + HDD. If they get in the SSD/HDD combos of the 2.7 i5 then I'll go for the refurb savings, but considering how long it was before SSDs shipped, I expect it will be a bit before any of those show up refurb.

I'm not in a hurry though, sometime by mid-August would be nice, but I don't plan to order till all new machines ship with Lion preloaded.

14. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Just received my second refurb with screen issues. First one was yellowing, second one is inconsistent and shadowy. So I think my interest in refurbs has passed. Agree that they are likely determining the screens on the returns are within their tolerances, taking their chances, and sending them back out.

Was $1869 for the 3.4 i7, thinking of just grabbing the top of the line i5 in-store so then I can at least exchange within a reasonable time frame. Going on a month since I initially decided to buy an iMac.

15. OptyCT macrumors 6502

FWIW, I received a refurb'd 27" 3.4 i7 and the screen was fine. No noticeable yellowing (as per the test procedure in another thread).

16. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Awesome to hear that! I'm sure there are ones that are returned for other reasons. If I can get a free shipping upgrade, I may take my chances on a third one.

17. Drewski macrumors regular

Just got my 2011 i5 27" refurb. Zero yellow tint issues. They must have sent me a good one by mistake. :rolleyes:

18. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I'll...trade you? I tried. I tried.

I am 99% sure that they would ship a slightly yellowed, etc. screen back out again. They'd take it in, determine it meets tolerances, ship it back out. I'm not harping on them for it, it just makes business sense.

That said, I'm sure that some that come back fail tolerance checks and are replaced, and of course there are those that are returned for other reasons with perfect screens.

19. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

well i just ordered the 2011 27" 2.7 quad core i5. $1439 i paid for that sucker so i hope it doesnt have a yellow screen. and what does BTO mean? how is apple with its refurbs? will they swap it out with ease or will they fight with you? and if you have problems with your refurb can you take it to an apple store or will they not even look at it. meaning would they replace the screen on that one instead of swapping it out.

20. rkaufmann87, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

BTO stands for Build to Order, it can also be called CTO or Configure to Order.

Refurbished Mac's enter the refurb program for a variety of reasons, all machines are checked and re-checked. Those reasons can include being returned because a wife got angry her husband spent some money, a warranty issue or new models were introduced. If the machine fails the checks for any reason it's fixed and retested before being sold. They also have the same warranty as a new machine and are also eligible for AppleCare, this means Apple stands behind them the same as a new machine.

In the extremely rare event there is a problem if it's discovered within the first 14 days of ownership Apple will refund or swap out the machine, it's your choice. Apple Stores do not sell refurbished machines so they do not have the authority to swap or refund you need to deal with the online store. However if the machine does need service after the first 14 days you can take it to any Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) and they will repair the machine.

Most people that buy Apple refurbished products are extremely happy and cannot tell the difference between a new machine and a refurb other than the box it's delivered in which is plain, no graphics on the exterior.

I would recommend investing AppleCare which will extend the warranty to 3 years and include telephone support too. You can buy this directly from Apple or you can save by buying from resellers such as Amazon or LA Computer Company.

Enjoy your new machine, I'm sure you will be extremely impressed.

BTW it sounds ilk you are switcher from MS Windows if so then I'd recommend bookmarking and using:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://support.apple.com/videos/#macosx106

21. penduboy macrumors member

BTO means you are making your own custom machine like adding SSD etc.

You can initiate your return with apple online store without any hassle, simply tell them you don't want it or you just change your mind and they will take it back no problem.

You can take it to the nearest apple store to fix the problem, if any.

22. EasyRider macrumors regular

EasyRider

Ok I just had to get the base model.

And for Christmas hopefully will be able to boot from SSD via Thunderbolt.

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It just sounds so....common.

24. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am switching (but not entirely yet) from windows. All of that sounds exactly how I thought. You can't return it to an apple store but you can service it there. Well I have used it at an apple store and am completely sure I don't want to return it. But if it has a yellow screen like I have read about I would like it repaired at an apple store rather than replaced for obvious reasons. Just wanted to make sure it was serviceable at an apple store. I hate shipping things and am worried already about my baby being shipped by those brutes at fedex. I will post back once I have received it. Maybe even an unboxing vid and some pics.:D I am pretty computer savvy so I hope I will be able to pick up all of the differences in the Mac os. I just love apple products and have been an iPod user since early 07' and an iPad user since early this year and people say my iPad is glued to my hands. :apple: rules