Three-Finger Swipe Finder

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by wakemeup707, Oct 5, 2013.

1. wakemeup707 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to make the three-finger swipe work in Finder again? Or am I the only one that used that?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

What's it supposed to do? Are you sure? Check your Trackpad preferences.

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Having this same problem as well

100% sure. My trackpad prefs have remained the same since ML. Even tried unchecking and rechecking. Still no good.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I'm actually curious. What's does a three finger swipe do in the finder?

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Goes backwards and forwards if you've opened several folders in the same window.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

I can't even make that work in Mountain Lion. It's got to be connected to your trackpad settings somehow.

7. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I've always had it set to three finger swipe between pages with no issue. Heck, the swiping is even working right now in System Prefs, just not in Finder. :confused:

8. dominicrn macrumors newbie

Same here, I can't able to use swiping gesture on Finder but they have fixed for System Preference in the OS X Mavericks BETA 7.

It seems critical issue. I have reported this to Apple three times still goes ignored no one is listening. I suggest you guys to submit the bug report to Apple from the developer panel. They probably will listen if they receive multiple reports related to this case.

9. wakemeup707 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's always worked for me before - I submitted a bug report for it back in DP4 and got a reply of a duplicate bug report. Apple knows about it but apparently left it disabled for Finder but it works *everywhere* else....

10. 537635 macrumors 6502

I use three fingers for moving items, so do most people I think.

You can always install BetterTouchTool and set three finger swipe to whatever function you want.

11. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I was never able to make it work reliably in ml either. It only works sometimes.

12. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Same here. It annoys me that Apple closes duplicate bugs, but never keeps you up to date on further progress.

13. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Not working for me either. I didn't realize how much I depended on it until I was navigating through some folders today and swiped around while nothing happened.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Not working for me either and I use it frequently.

15. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Aw damn, this isn't good! I use that gesture quite a bit. Funny I didn't notice it until I saw this thread.

16. GWX macrumors newbie

I still don't understand why only the three-finger gestures work in Lion and ML in Finder, and not the two-finger gesutres, which is the one people use the most. Apple is weird.

17. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I used to use this gesture in ML with a combo of other gestures configured with BetterTouchTool and its not working at all in 10.9.

I have tried the latest version (0.98) BetterTouchTool and multiple variations of gestures and nothing is working for Finder. They all work in Safari and System Prefs just find however. Very frustrating.

18. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Did you try assigning it to cmd+[ and cmd+]? That's the keyboard shortcut for it.

19. dominicrn macrumors newbie

Actually assigning cmd+] and cmd+[ in BTT it's bit annoying because when i swipe left and right frequently in the menubar the shortcut key is flashing in blue highlight.

We need to urge Apple to fix it but if you guys submit report to apple.com/feedback upon launching the Public version of OS X Mavericks they would surely listen to it.

20. Wastez macrumors newbie

I also have the same problem and solved it in meanwhile with the keyboard shortcut workaround over btt.
    Hope apple will solve this issue as soon as possible.

21. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

It seems ridiculous that something this tiny could be so important, but I have ended up reverting to Mountain Lion twice (once during the betas and now after the GM) because of this bug. This is the first release of Mac OS where I will wait until the .1 update to upgrade my system.

22. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Can you share you BTT conifg with screenshots? Mine won't work with this setting and just wondering if I'm an idiot and doing something wrong.

----------

So true, but it may not even be fixed in .1 update or any update. Maybe it was removed intentionally. Apple has made some idiotic decisions with OS X and iOS, the music app and calendar app in iOS are perfect examples, so is app app expose'/mission control,

23. wakemeup707, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

wakemeup707 thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you get the keyboard shortcut working in BTT? I've tried the swipe gesture (doesn't work with that either). I'm resubmitting my bug report for it - hopefully that helps people. I've kept using 10.9 because of the better display handling - I need my multiple displays; otherwise I'd stay on mountain lion. Maybe Apple thought that because of the tabs, they would take away the forward/back shortcut. idiotic.

CORRECTION:

Got the BTT to work for it - finally. I never realized how often I used that shortcut until I used the Mavericks betas and now GM.

dominicrn - maybe set the theme to graphite? That's what I did and it helped with the flashing (I got back and forth far too often).

24. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Can you provide a screenshot of your keys?

25. wakemeup707 thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 12.00.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 12.00.14 AM.png