Three reasons why buying a first-generation iPad mini may be foolish

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scott2345, Oct 24, 2012.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

With a 6-month life cycle, buying anything from Apple at full price is foolish. The only way you know you won't be screwed is to wait for it to show up at refurbished store.

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

The recycle price will be higher at least, so you might as well get it anyway. ;)

3. WLS macrumors 65816

Well that's why I wouldn't buy anything but the basic version at this time. I'm sure there will be a better version later but likely that will be a year away. In many ways this is less a risk than buying the first gen iPad was. It takes improved internals from the iPad2 and from what I hear has a new screen that is thinner than the iPad2 screen. "Apple is said to already be employing GF2 display technology in the new iPad mini. That helped to make the device 23 percent thinner and 53 percent lighter than the full-size iPad."

If you wanna go to the party ya gotta buy one to show.
    If you want to sit at home and wait a year that's your choice but I'm gonna get the 16GB to use when I'm out of the house. Don't be such a Bobby Buzzkill.

4. gaby4ever25 macrumors newbie

Who's to say the 2nd gen mini will have a retina display

I will be pre-ordering the mini. I've always wanted an ipad, however the size and weight have been big negatives, so the mini is perfect for me, even with "old tech" and a higher price than other tablets.

Also, it's not a given that the next mini will have a retina display, so I'd rather have the mini now, enjoy it for however long it takes for the mini to get retina display.

5. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Let's wait for the next thing around the corner and never buy anything...:rolleyes:

The original iPad was expensive, unknown of its uses and predicted as a niche market.

100Million iPads later, it's time for the iPad line to diversify and become another apple product line that gets updated when needed.

6. Noisemaker, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

Noisemaker Guest

Right from the mouth of a "Loyal Android User". Biased dreck.

I also love how an $80 difference is just so much more, but he recommends spending $170 more for a full sized iPad. Oh really? Just a little double standard there.

6 month lifecycle?

I love how Apple goes with yearly launches for so, so long. Then all of a sudden, ONE tweaked redesign is moved to a new launch date. Suddenly EVERYTHING will be updated on 6 month cycles.

Get real.

It was a one-time deal to get the iPad onto lightning connectors in the same year. That's it. Just because you're butthurt that you don't have the shiniest iPad anymore, it doesn't mean that you got "screwed" or that anyone else did, for that matter.

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The mini is Obsolete out the door. :D

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

" If you’re going to buy someone an iPad for the holidays, you might as well spend an extra $170 for the fourth-generation iPad"

Thats a silly reason, why would you spend 50% on a gift..... usually people budget for a certain price on xmas gifts and going 50% over that price would be too much.

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I completely disagree with the article. Apple will not drop the price. They rarely do. They are more likely to raise prices than lower them.

Their second argument: it's not a Retina display. That's correct, but is it really worth waiting for over a year (or maybe even two years)? That's 700 days without iPad.

Their third argument (the $499 iPad only costs $170 more). Well, but the onliest difference in specs between the iPad mini and the iPad 4 is its 9.7" Retina display and the A6 chip (X-variant, for Retina graphics).

A retina display is important, but I do not think people are willing to pay an extra $170 for it and lose the lightness, thinness and small size.

10. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

how about an extra 50$, iPad 3 refurb only cost 379 and its just as good as new one.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, than it is a tougher choice, of course. You'll still miss features like FaceTime HD and the lightning connector, though.

It's also the question for how long refurbished iPad 3s will be (widely) available.

12. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I don't know about you.. but I haven't made FaceTime call in probably a year.

13. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I don't know, but not everybody is exactly the same like you. Just because it's useless for you, doesn't mean it's useless for someone else.

14. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Here is how I'm looking at the sub par specs of the mini -

It's $329 and in 6 to 12 months when the next one comes out, the iPad mini 2 should sell for $329 and will hopefully have retina, more ram and a better processor. At that time, I expect to be able to sell the original iPad mini for $200-$250 on ebay. The original iPad (2 1/2 yrs old) is selling for over $200 even today.

So basically I'm "renting" the iPad mini for $10 a month. I'm okay with that. If I sold my original iPad for $200 today I would have "rented" it for $10 a month.

----------

For many people it isn't about the choice of the refurb 3 for just a few $ more. We'd rather have the mini because of the size.

Would you rather have a used Cadillac CTS for X price or a new ATS for Y price? It depends on what your needs are.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Where do you get this 6 month life cycle? You're just making stuff up. All my old iPads still work the same as they did last week. No one was screwed over. You're making up your angst out of whole cloth.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Best thing about apple products his how well they hold value :)

----------

he means in 6 months a new mini will be out....like they did with the ipad 3 and 4

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's only obsolete when Apple no longer supports it. We can expect two more years of OSes for it.

19. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I bought the iPad 1 and 2 at release and almost surely will put my pre-order in for the mini tomorrow morning.

Returned the 3 as I didn't like the minor bump in weight and thickness. It felt a tad clunky compared to the 2 and the retina screen did not have the wow factor I was expecting.

Why wait for the next gen of any idevice in the hope it will have all the things you think the 1st gen is missing. The next one will be different but not always better!

I assumed the next upgrade of the new iPad would be thinner and lighter and was proved wrong on Tuesday. Better specs sure but still the same form factor as the earlier one, maybe even a little heavier. At least I still have my 2 and am extremely pleased with it.

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why is buying something that you want a bad choice? If you want the latest, greatest, then you should wait about 10 years when the last model comes out.

These comments are so childish and illogical.

21. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Your entire supposition is asinine, 1 product has a 6 month "refresh" and suddenly all Apple products have 6 month lifespans. Quite a jump there.

Good idea, but if it do that, could you explain how I fold it in half to fit in my jacket pocket? Or what parts do I remove to halve the weight?

22. Techwriter macrumors regular

Yesterday, I believe we saw the future of the regular iPad. The iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini all look very similar. As soon as Apple has the technology, the full-sized iPad is going to resemble these devices also.

As soon as the iPad Mini has retina and a better processor, I'll upgrade. But that could be two years. I don't want to wait that long to begin using it.

23. mac jones macrumors 68040

Let me break the news to you:

Tech buying is a losing game. Stuff actually decreases in value!
    I know it hard to wrap your head around. Im still groping with it.

24. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

[​IMG]