Three Things to Know About the New Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2018 at 7:17 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last week, Apple introduced a second-generation Apple Pencil that magnetically attaches to the new iPad Pro. It also features automatic pairing, wireless charging, tap to wake, double-tap to switch drawing tools, a more seamless design with no Lightning connector or cap, and a matte rather than glossy finish.

[​IMG]

As the new Apple Pencil begins to arrive to customers around the world, we've learned some additional details about the drawing tool:
    1. Unlike the original, the second-generation Apple Pencil does not include an extra tip in the box. Apple sells a four-pack of extra tips online and at many of its retail stores for $19 in the United States.
      The new Apple Pencil wirelessly charges when attached to the new iPad Pro, but it is not compatible with Qi-based wireless chargers. Not too much of a surprise there, but good to know.
      In a memo shared with its retail stores on Wednesday, seen by MacRumors, Apple said customers "may experience the new Apple Pencil as unresponsive after initial setup" and outlined steps to resolve this.First, pair the Apple Pencil to the iPad Pro. Once the iPad Pro has an internet connection, it will download an Apple Pencil firmware update and send it to the Apple Pencil via Bluetooth. The Apple Pencil will continue to work normally during the 10-minute transfer.The pairing update will begin the next time the Apple Pencil goes idle for 60 seconds, and will take roughly two minutes. The Apple Pencil will be non-responsive during this time. Once it resets, and the update is complete, it will start working normally again.
    The new Apple Pencil is compatible with the latest 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models. It retails for $129 in the United States with free custom laser engraving available exclusively for orders placed on Apple.com.
    Apple has more details about the new Pencil on its website.

Article Link: Three Things to Know About the New Apple Pencil

2. MattNMiami macrumors newbie

MattNMiami

I got mine yesterday and tested it out with some drawing. Its a nice improvement. I'm still getting used to the double tap which is slightly odd but I think with time it will feel more natural.

One weird thing is that if you sit the pen on the glass, it will gravitate to areas that have magnets (there are magnets all over the body to hold the folio). Just an odd behavior to stick to random places on the iPad.

3. jsalda macrumors regular

jsalda

First thing I noticed was no extra tip, $129 and they can't include an extra? However, I have to say that I like the new version much better. It just feels better in my hand and the ability to magnetically stick to the iPad (+charging) without a third party cover is so nice..

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

Do we know the latency spec? Wondering if it improved from 20ms.

5. V.K. macrumors 6502a

V.K.

can anyone comment on the battery life please?

6. Khedron macrumors 6502

7. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors member

Real Apple fans will buy tuns of them, and stick them all over there refrigerator

8. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

What are the extra tips for - do they wear away with normal usage?

9. eow macrumors newbie

Awkwardly enough, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236, which was updated 11/07/2018, still says there’s an extra tip in the box. (Not that I’m pissed or anything; I didn’t even know extra tips were a thing since I never owned an old Apple Pencil.)

10. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Im surprised. Seriously, what method does it use? Why wouldn’t I want all of my Apple devices and accessories to charge the same way?

I’d also like to know whether the Pencil uses a different wireless connection method and protocol from the original Pencil. Is it just charging and pairing, and additional features that sets the two apart, or something more basic.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 at 7:35 AM ---
    Yes

11. eow macrumors newbie

You just snap it onto the side of your iPad Pro, which is where you should store it anyway. Why do you want to charge it separately?

12. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

How much usages does that normally take?

13. Khedron macrumors 6502

Yes they chip or become distorted with use. But a 4-pack should last you until the next pencil is released (which will probably break all compatibility again)

14. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I didn’t necessarily say I do. But again, why would it use a completely different wireless charging method than other Apple devices?

That said, I’m imagining a situation where I’m done drawing at my desk, and want to take the iPad out to my patio and read the news while I have some coffee. I don’t think I’d want my Pencil stuck to it. The Pencil is a tool I use sometimes, not a permanent feature I want to carry around on my iPad.

Anyway I’m still confused why Apple decided to make the Pencils incompatible with each other. If the Pencil charged via Qi, then an old iPad user could charge it using any Qi pad they own, much more convenient than using Lightning. Pairing could be via a simple dongle, which only has to be done once. And of course there’s absolutely the old Pencil should not be compatible with the new iPad via a USB-C adapter, unless there’s a major change in the way they work past the pairing issue.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I love this update to the Apple Pencil so much. They addressed every little and large concern that I had with the first generation. Gruber wasn't wrong when he said "The new Apple Pencil is one of the best 2.0 products I've ever seen." It feels really great in the hand and it's so convenient to just snap it onto the side to charge and store.

The only thing I ask going forward is that they add a triple tap gesture. I feel like double tap should be used for toggling tools, and triple tap could be used for toggling modes while using an application, such as toggling full screen mode, zoom level, activating a different "persona" (workspace) in Affinity, or bringing up a color selection palette. I know some apps let you do these things already, but two gestures would make this far more useful in practice.

I also wonder if developers will be able to do context sensitive gestures? For instance, if you're in another mode it behaves differently, or if you're holding the pencil to the display and double tap, it does something else.

16. BravoTangoPapa macrumors member

BravoTangoPapa

The battery life is far less than the original. Example: from 100% to 96% in around 3 minutes - just taking a couple of quick notes. Same test with original pencil and the battery doesn’t drop at all. Disappointing.

17. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I can see a high likelihood of the Apple Pencil being dislodged from the side of the iPad Pro, such as when sliding the device into a bag. If I owned one I would want to keep it in a pen slot or something similar in whatever bag/sleeve I'm using.

18. V.K. macrumors 6502a

V.K.

Thanks. That certainly does not sound good. What about charging speed? How does it compare to the first generation Pencils?

19. BamaGuy macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 at 7:57 AM ---
    Does anyone know if the extra tips that came with the original pencil work on the new one?

20. BravoTangoPapa macrumors member

BravoTangoPapa

Charging is definitely faster.

21. BLite macrumors newbie

BLite

I haven't seen this question answered - I apologize if it has...

Does the pencil only snap to one particular side of the iPad? Or does it work with both of the longer edges? or all of them? or...

22. csurfr macrumors 68000

Is there any way to check the pencil in settings to see what firmware it has? I picked one up yesterday, but iPad doesn’t arrive until today sometime. Just curious.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:02 AM ---
    Only one side.

23. Marco Klobas macrumors member

Marco Klobas

Is it finally possible to turn off the Pencil? The first version goes in standby mode automatically when not used and wake up as soon as a vibration is detected. This potentially drains the battery quickly.

24. emulajavi macrumors regular

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Do the tips from the old pencil fit on the new one?