Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Wieso?

I look forward to our dystopian future where big brother can revoke a certificate from your phone and none of the doors open for “undesirables”

What do you mean? It’s no different with a plastic card, which user ID can be easily restricted from access at the source. Or a drivers license, or license plate which has been flagged in a computer system, or any other form of identification.

It’s laws that prevent that power from being abused. But in private settings like businesses and schools, there’s nothing to stop them. So I’m not sure what your point is here. This technology has been in use for decades, it’s just being moved to a more convenient and cost effective method. Nothing on the back end changes. If TPTB want to abuse their ability to grant access to individuals they could do that now.

Reactions: Ntombi and Tytygh

LoadStar

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Edit: It looks like these cards aren't FeliCa though, because iPhone 6 is supported... unless they're using FeliCa for newer models and some other form of middleware to support older models. Very interesting!
Blackboard claims to equally supprt MiFare (likely MiFare Classic), DESFire, and FeliCa. Apple may be implementing something compatible with one of the former methods.

Reactions: friednoodles

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Ok, you think that is true but it is not. Over here there is still major issues. We have less protection. There is always issues with Venmo (Agreed that was a couple of years ago). How many time have you read about the man-in-the-middle attacks. It has only really started here 3 years ago. Now it is taking off, but also in the States and Asia. There are still major issues when going aboard to a country next door.

Very big in UK, so much so that we are losing cash machines at an unprecedented rate. For the first time ever card/mobile payments have surpassed the use of cash this year.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What do you mean? It’s no different with a plastic card, which user ID can be easily restricted from access at the source. Or a drivers license, or license plate which has been flagged in a computer system, or any other form of identification.

It’s laws that prevent that power from being abused. But in private settings like businesses and schools, there’s nothing to stop them. So I’m not sure what your point is here. This technology has been in use for decades, it’s just being moved to a more convenient and cost effective method. Nothing on the back end changes. If TPTB want to abuse their ability to grant access to individuals they could do that now.
The difference is that it’s one device that controls everything. One MDM switch flipped remotely and you can lose access to everything.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I can't believe just how far the U.S. is behind Europe/UK with contactless cards, chip & pin, mobile payments etc. We have had all of these for some years now. Carrying cards and cash is so 'yesterday'.
I’m in the US, I never carried cash for ten years. Most people I know don’t either. I use Apple Pay and my Chip & PIN debit card daily.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Wow! Those college kid has more food money than working citizens. No wonder why these college students are broke once they get off from universities.
Yeah, as a freshman I am REQUIRED to get a meal plan, the lowest option has $725 dining dollars for the semester, and 10 meal exchanges per week, each exchange being worth $8.50.

Arlo Timetraveler

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Very big in UK, so much so that we are losing cash machines at an unprecedented rate. For the first time ever card/mobile payments have surpassed the use of cash this year.

Probably in London. Also, probably in New York and Tokyo. Bet it started to happen first in Asia. Don't think It only is happening in UK and not in other countries. How money is spent is very cultural.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Wow! Those college kid has more food money than working citizens. No wonder why these college students are broke once they get off from universities.

Uh not in the United States... $7.50 per meal * 3 meals per day * 7 days per week * 15 weeks (1 semester) = $2362. And that won't buy you any restaurant more than fast food.

m4mario

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
I want my Apple watch to do everything from opening cars to gaining entry at movie theaters and workplaces, but without having to swipe through cards.

Just press button and tag. Should not be a requirement to swipe to the right card.

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Because it's a debit card. If it was a credit card no pin in the US. Its stupid

I actually have a credit card (issued by a US bank, even) that requires PIN at most places. It's definitely not common, though, so I've had issues at some places.

Itsdev

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
You're in the US and use chip &pin? where? I've never been asked for my pin in the US.

That depends...

-If it is a business credit card, often times a pin is required and can’t be ‘cancelled’ on the pin pad to run as credit.
-If it is a credit card like a ‘World Card’ where it is expected to be used while traveling, a pin for chip and pin is setup, though most places don’t require it in the US. I don’t know if they disable that until you travel, or if they just deactivated it, as I have a card that required me to setup a pin for chip and pin, but it has NEVER asked for pin in the US, and I’ve not travelled internationally since I got the card years ago. It got me excited that we would be switching to chip and pin instead of a signature nobody checked, but instead, places like Walmart and Best Buy just don’t do signatures anymore per the newest Visa/MC/Amex processing rules
-OR- if it is a debit card.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
You're in the US and use chip &pin? where? I've never been asked for my pin in the US.
Only with debit cards are chip and PIN, credit cards are currently no joke chip and nothing. Insert, it beeps at you, remove the card. Spend over $50 you May get asked for PIN.

ps, we finally got chip cards in 2015

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Can anyone here comment on the hardware being used here? I want this on the front door of my home. It would be great if it was AppleWatch NFC AND HomeKit capable. That way I could unlock with the watch, or simply by saying "Hey Siri" as I do now...

Reactions: Tytygh

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
Can anyone here comment on the hardware being used here? I want this on the front door of my home. It would be great if it was AppleWatch NFC AND HomeKit capable. That way I could unlock with the watch, or simply by saying "Hey Siri" as I do now...

I've got a Wiegand door lock already that I'm waiting to be able to figure out how to unlock with my phone so same!

Reactions: coolman13355

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
I look forward to our dystopian future where big brother can revoke a certificate from your phone and none of the doors open for “undesirables”

There is literally no difference between using cards or phones.
The verification happens on the infrastructure side, so you can easily revoke it either way.

Reactions: freedomlinux

jonblatho

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Been using this around the OU campus today; got lunch with it about an hour ago and used it to get back into my building and room. It's great, especially with Express Mode on the Watch.

Reactions: Ntombi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.