Throttling - Considering caving in....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mantan, Feb 20, 2012.

1. mantan macrumors 68000

Like a lot of folks on here, I'm disappointed about how AT&T is addressing the throttling issue. Last year we were all told that throttling was designed to limit very heavy users. Now the threshold has been lowered to the 2 gig level that was the old mainstream plan and 50% lower than the current $30 plan.

When I look at my personal data usage for a year, I used between 1-2.5 gigs a month. I averaged around 1.8 gigs.

Ever since the throttling stories came out, I find myself worrying about data to the point my data usage is about half it's normal rate. And now I'm wondering why. If you feel like you're limiting the use of your phone, is it worth the unlimited data plan?

If I was buying a phone today, the 3GB/$30 plan would be perfect. And if there was a crazy month where I used half a gig more than I ever had...the cost would be a measly $10. I'd much rather pony up $10 than have my device brought to a screeching halt.

The only thing keeping me from switching today is that it means AT&T's heavy handed ways forced me into switching. While I don't think the letters to the FCC or threats of a class action suit will amount to anything, I do think it's important that AT&T get the message how their customers feel.

I understood that $30 unlimited wasn't going to last forever. AT&T hasn't offered an unlimited data plans in 18 months. Rumors have been around for years it would likely go away with LTE. But being forced to switch or heavily modify phone usage just leaves a bad taste.

But I have to admit, I'm really tempted to just move the 3 gig plan and be done with it. Has anybody else made the jump?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Have you actually been throttled? At about 1.8Gigs of usage, you should be just under the radar.

I wouldn't make any move until AT&T actually starts to throttle you. If you're prepared to make the switch now, just wait... don't worry about usage, just use your phone. As long as you don't increase your usage beyond your norm, nothing should happen for quite a while yet.

And if they do, well, consider at THAT point whether you want to switch.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Just get it over with and change to the 3GB plan.

I currently have unlimited and will be doing the same thing.

2 great benefits to the 3gb plan are:
    - 3gb instead of 2gb.
    - Can tether via jailbreak and At&t apparently doesn't care.

The second I need either of these I'm switching my plan.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

AT&T underestimated how many people would stream videos 24/7 and use massive amounts of data on their iPhones with the unlimited plans ... they then made a choice that affects everyone. It sucks for the user who averages normal usage and only occasionally goes over 3GB.

However there were a lot of extreme data users.

IMO 3GB for $30 is a great deal ... here in Canada we pay double that for less data.

5. HPLouis macrumors regular

Don't do it and let me tell you why.

Like you, I was fed up and ready to switch. I called AT&T and found a caring rep who told me that if I switched, my FAN discount would not apply. The FAN applied to the unlimited plan, the old school 2GB and 4GB plan and the current 5GB plan. If you switch, call AT&T and check. Now, not all FANs are the same, but I would check. I also saw on HoFo that a person made the switch and also lost the FAN discount on his data plan.

My FAN is 25% so my plan price would have gone up $7.50 for making the switch.

6. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Id stick it out till you actually get throttled.

Maybe you should look into a new carrier? ;) I get 6GB for $30 with Virgin Mobile.

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Wow :eek:

I didn't know that the new 3gb data plans don't get a FAN discount. With both the FAN discount no longer working on your data plan + the increase in the upgrade fee for all customers... AT&T is really going for the jugular of its customers now :(

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Who's your carrier? Every carrier right now has $30 for 6GB as a promo, which ends I believe at the end of the month. So if you want that data switch now!

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Don't switch just because everyone else is getting throttled. I was warned at 4.9GB of usage that I would be throttled if I continued, yet I managed to hit 7.1GB by the end of my cycle and had yet to see speed reductions. So If I were to have switched to the thirty dollar 3GB plan I'd of paid seventy dollars. Really makes me happier knowing my bill will remain the same flat rate.

And the throttling depends almost entirely on your location.

10. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Dude, stay with Unlimited. At least you have a safe net of not having to worry about limited data and can use whatever you want when you can. I wish I could do that, but I'm constantly making sure I'm not using data lol...

11. OceanView macrumors 65816

Do not switch.
    That is exactly what AT&T wants you to do.
    Wait it out and hope that pressure from the media or a class action lawsuit will change their tune.
    It's the principle of getting a raw deal that should keep you in the fight.

12. DroidRules, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

:eek:

Oh the humanity!!
    Naahhhhh just hackin on ya.... $7.50 is $7.50.

Really? The jugular? First off never pay an upgrade fee. IF they won't remove it from your bill then move to another carrier. Second, HIS FAN doesn't apply to the new plans, that doesn't mean there will be no FAN's participating in the new plans. Each FAN is different.

How are you receiving a raw deal? Unlimited data is guaranteed but show me where it says what speed is guaranteed? Now I'm not defending AT&T but people like you with your over the top theatrics9not so much in your specific case but in general) when it comes to the throttleing issue are getting a bit silly. IF, in your market, you fall into a high data user category you get slowed....... Don't like that? Change data plan or change carrier, vote with your wallet. Sorry but I have no issue with high data users (if 2 gigs is high in your area than so be it) being throttled as they affect everyone's usage not just their own.

13. HPLouis macrumors regular

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

They said they'd be throttling the top 5%... and that 98% of their customers use less than 2GB. Going by their numbers, it sounds like they're doing exactly as they said they would.

15. solo118 macrumors 65816

I second this.

Luckily you do not use more than 2GB, so if you get throttled then deal with it. For now keep the unlimited plan. I have a feeling that at&t might do something for us grandfathered in.

If they raise us to 3GB (which is totally fair) I would be happy.

Myself I received the message that I would be throttled (it was just a threat as my first month) and that was at 4GB. Right now my bill is up on the 3rd, and I am at 1.6GB with no messages (knocking hard on wood)

16. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Wow! I didn't realize they took the FAN discount away!

I have dealt with dropped calls, doubling of activation fees, and shady data throttling long enough, when the next iPhone comes out I'll switch to Verizon.

I know there not much better bill wise but at least I'll be able to finish a call without it dropping and I'll be able to use my FAN discount.

Sorry AT&T you've just pushed it too far.....

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This isn't entirely accurate. Some FAN discounts will still cover this data package, some will not. It depends entirely on the company agreement between ATT.

18. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah it seems ATT is doing themselves a disservice by throttling ALL users that go over 2GB. That's just bad publicity. I wonder how many people will "vote with their wallet" and leave ATT for another carrier over the bad taste in their mouths.

They'd be much smarter to throttle the top 5% or even the top XX% of heavy data users and leave the ones who are paying for unlimited data and hardly using over 2GB alone.

Whatever. I'm on verizon unlimited (as is my wife) and we never use 2GB each (or really combined). I hope they don't force us on to a tiered plan when the iPhone goes LTE. That will REALLY piss me off cause that's the whole reason I'm carrying unlimited on both lines now... so that we can hopefully be grandfathered in when we're both on 4G devices.

19. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

My wife and I each are on Verizon with unlimited data. I hope Verizon doesn't kill the unlimited plan on their 4G LTE. But in fairness, I feel Verizon's network can handle the load as ATT is saying they don't have the capacity.

20. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I love the fact that a few days after the MODS merged the throttling threads, there are some more new ones on the top of the page. That just shows it is a topic that people are interested in :)

21. HPLouis macrumors regular

And that's why it's best to call and check before you give up that unlimited plan. I would have been pissed if I gave up both of my unlimited plans for the 3GB plans only to find out that I have to pay an additional $15.00 on top of that to boot!

22. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

uh my friend...by the nature of definition 3G data should be faster than 2G data...and you ARE defending AT&T....how can they throttle at 2GB but happily sell you a 3GB plan for the same price?

23. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

They're doing exactly what you're asking them to. On a national level, the top 5% of data users ARE the ones using over 2GB.

No, it shows that people can't use the search function to find relevant threads that are already available to post in.

Had they posted there, it would show the same interest and would make those threads appear at the top... instead of starting multiple new one.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It depends on the area you're in.
    I have a line on my account that hits 3-4GB's per month for the past 3 months without a problem on unlimited iphone data.
    No text or warning either.