Throwing in the towel...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by austincolby, May 22, 2009.

1. austincolby macrumors member

Hate to whine, but...

Sad to say it, but I'm throwing in the towel on the iPhone. I'm an apple partisan (although they are swiftly losing me), with a laundry list of hardware (most of which is screwed up... but I already posted about that), but this thing is an unmitigated disaster. Maybe its Apple's fault- maybe its AT&T's fault- I don't care.

Between CONSTANT dropped calls (regardless of signal strength), freezes, huge lags doing just about anything and everything, from typing to opening sms, inexplicable switching into 'no service' mode that requires a hard reboot to 'rediscover' full signal strength three times a day, 3G not working at all for calling which forces me to leave 3G off, but Edge data speed averages like 15kbps requiring constant switching back and forth, people calling me and my phone not even ringing, or if it does, a half-second ring before going to VM, doesn't matter where I am (Chicago, NY, Phoenix, Dallas), its the same thing...

I simply cannot trust this phone to fulfill even its most basic function - sending and receiving calls. I've been in to Apple several times, I've had AT&T replace the SIM card, I've restored the thing 20 times. Apple tells me this thing is 'fine'. If this is 'fine', Apple and I have very different opinions of what 'fine' - or even 'minimally acceptable' - means. App store goodness might be fun- but if a phone can't send or receive calls, there's no point.

2. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

I had the same issue with my first one. I took it back and all is fine now.....
    Sounds like just your luck, I hope it gets better.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if you get no service do a manual search for a network?

things like dropped calls, no service, trouble with calls and texts being sent and recieved then that could be classed as network issues. The lag and freezing would deffinately be a device issue.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

5. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Uh, nah... I have a first run iPhone 3G from July 2008 and I didn't have any of those issues after the first few 'putting out the fires' firmware updates. It's a device issue. Have you ever had it swapped out?

6. JDee macrumors 6502a

I just received a new iPhone yesterday. My iPhone was going through the same thing, nearly.

The iPhone couldn't pick up an O2 signal most of the time and it was so slow! It took about 10 seconds to close an app from pressing the 'Home' button.

I sent it back a few days ago - and my new one is perfect!

I hope everything works out for you like the way it did for me.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This sounds more like an AT&T issue. But, regardless, if the area you live in that doesn't work well with AT&T, then the iPhone is useless to you. So, no one can fault you giving up. You need a phone that works for you. That said, perhaps you should try out the new iPhone - it may work a lot better for you. Otherwise, go with the Pre.

8. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

The OP said the same thing happens in multiple markets. If I remember correctly, people have iPhones in New York, Chicago, and Dallas without issues like these (including myself, and millions of other customers). Is it still the network?

9. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

10. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

And what, the rest of us millions of iPhone owners are just very forgiving...

You got a bad device - either try again or move on.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

My friend had similar issues with his phone and continued to bitch about it for months until he finally gave in to my nagging and got it replaced.

The new phone is without a hitch.

You have a bad device. Get it replaced.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I knew this one was coming...

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that behavior is clearly not normal or acceptable. Most iphones don't do any of those things. They should replace it.

14. sd2009 macrumors 6502

LOL Apple users typically are ;)

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

Can I have your iPhone for free then? Lol. I just sold my iPhone on eBay -- waiting on the new one, and I have this sucky arsh Nokia 2610 until then. I don't even pull my phone out in public...embarrassed.:(

16. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

And the purpose of this thread is ... ?

OP isn't looking for solutions, just venting.
    Bye. Good luck with your next phone.

17. sd2009 macrumors 6502

I did that last year. Ended up buying an iPod Nano because I couldn't go a month without some sort of iPod.
    Did you unlock your iPhone first? I'd like to sell mine soon but my baseband is upgraded so AFAIK it's currently impossible to unlock :(

18. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

The purpose of the thread is...

To indicate the frustration some people have with the iphone. It is not the god-like device as some proclaim. It has some significant issues but I believe most of those start and end with the letters A,T and T. Yes, the thread is a rant but as the owner of 4 iphones, I share some of the frustration. I have had to replace my sims 4 times, get new phones twice and have vented to ATT on more than a few occasions about crappy coverage in a major metropolitan area. And don't me started about the myth of 3G speed. Pleez.

:eek:

19. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Most iPhone owners I personally know are not "Apple users."

20. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I had 0 problems with my 3G iPhone until one day I had similar problems (the network ones at least). I tried my SIM card in my blackberry and it worked fine, Rogers gave me a new SIM card and I still had problems. I booked a Genius appointment and said (almost exactly) "I have been having problems with my signal and connection. I randomly drop calls, lose all bars and am unable to consistently use any data. At this point there's no way for me to know if my phone is connected or not without actually looking at the screen and because of that I can never know if I'm missing calls or messages. I've had my SIM card replaced twice and have used the SIM card on two other phones without any problems"... then they gave me a new phone... I exagerrated a little bit, but I'd just keep booking appts until someone swaps it for a new one.

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I will admit the UI can be a little sluggish at times, but everything else you described sounds like network issues.

I've never dropped a call or any of that stuff. Maybe you should have a 'genius' run some diagnostics on your telephone.

22. Sean006 macrumors 6502

not one problem with mine that i bought brand new at the apple store last august. matter of fact 9 months on one phone is a record for me ! thanks apple for fixing my cell phone problem :D

23. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

24. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

25. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st