Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Just got my 2011 27" iMac and love it. Currently I have a USB 2.0 external hooked up to it, but I would like to utilize the thunderbolt speeds (as would everybody else obviously haha). Just wondering if there is a timeframe on when they will be available. As in a few weeks, or in a year? And also, should we wait for a few rounds of them to get the logistics straight first, as it's such a new technology? Also, should we expect prices to be over the top for storage in the beginning? Any estimates for $/gb?

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Unless Thunderbolt manufacturers figure out a way to accommodate Sony's USB style connectors and Apple's MDP connectors, Thunderbolt is toast. It would also help if other manufacturers like Lenovo, HP, Dell also adopt TB.

Maybe in 5 - 10 years when USB 3.0 bandwidth is saturated. <sigh>

360player

It would also help if other manufacturers like Lenovo, HP, Dell also adopt TB.>

HP has announced that is will be supporting USB 3.0 in all future devices.
Link: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._30_over_intels_thunderbolt_for_desktops.html

Regarding HP as a major player in the PC market I would pressume others will follow suit - dont ask me why, especially seeing the projected speed comparison.

Maybe its too soon to be dumping a new technology on the masses of 'average users' out there.

I just hope that Thunderbolt doesnt fall into oblivion for the simple fact that its 'not popular' - where would we be if networks decided to only flog the good ol' CAT technology instead of embrassing fibre optics.

I can see nothing but good things comming from the Thunderbolt/Lightpeak area - especially when the only bottle-necks (if they can ever be reached) are in the controllers and not the cables.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Unless Thunderbolt manufacturers figure out a way to accommodate Sony's USB style connectors and Apple's MDP connectors, Thunderbolt is toast. It would also help if other manufacturers like Lenovo, HP, Dell also adopt TB.

Maybe in 5 - 10 years when USB 3.0 bandwidth is saturated. <sigh>

...During a time where Macs have consistenly outsold PCs every quarter for the last 5 years and where PC share actually fell a percent last quarter. :rolleyes:

I think TB has much more going for it than Firewire did and I hardly think it's toast.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I think TB has much more going for it than Firewire did and I hardly think it's toast.

T-bolt could truly be a bigger item then ssd's are. If your iMac has this unit
running as your osx main drive with your internal as a TM. it will smoke almost any internal ssd . USB 3 is less then a third the speed of t-bolt and this is copper t-bolt down the road it will turn into light t-bolt . I don't own any lacie's or work for them so far these are the best photos I could locate I found them on twitter. I post them because I want you to think befor you drop in a 256 gb ssd internally. These T-bolt units along with sonnets 2 drive one may be able to hold a pair of intel 600gb ssd in a raid0 and be stable. how about that a possible easy to build 1.2 tb osx/data drive externally and quiet.

Attachments

• lacie t-bolt 1.jpg
    lacie t-bolt 1.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 71
  • lacie t-bolt two.jpg
    lacie t-bolt two.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 58

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
^^

Hey philip. Any info regarding lacie thunderbolt drive you attached above? It's quite big chassis even for a single 3.5" hdd. Can it contain multiple 2.5" hdd/ssd drive on one case? Maybe raid or something? Or is it just single drive with giant heatsink and huge blue LED :)

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
^^
Hey philip. Any info regarding lacie thunderbolt drive you attached above? It's quite big chassis even for a single 3.5" hdd. Can it contain multiple 2.5" hdd/ssd drive on one case? Maybe raid or something? Or is it just single drive with giant heatsink and huge blue LED :)

Did you even click the link to LaCies site?

Thats because its not a single 3.5", its 2 2.5".

And what is exactly you want to "utilize Tbolt speeds" with? A backup drive? Or do you plan on editing 10 tracks of HD video?

TBolt is dead. Check back in a year. Dead. Worse than firewire ever was.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
T-bolt could truly be a bigger item then ssd's are. If your iMac has this unit
running as your osx main drive with your internal as a TM. it will smoke almost any internal ssd . USB 3 is less then a third the speed of t-bolt and this is copper t-bolt down the road it will turn into light t-bolt . I don't own any lacie's or work for them so far these are the best photos I could locate I found them on twitter. I post them because I want you to think befor you drop in a 256 gb ssd internally. These T-bolt units along with sonnets 2 drive one may be able to hold a pair of intel 600gb ssd in a raid0 and be stable. how about that a possible easy to build 1.2 tb osx/data drive externally and quiet.

Well, with SSDs, I think TB will be an excellent companion interface.

I've thought about going the external SSD route with TB once they've made available...It'll be interesting to see once future peripherals start popping up :)

^^

Did you even click the link to LaCies site?

Thats because its not a single 3.5", its 2 2.5".

And what is exactly you want to "utilize Tbolt speeds" with? A backup drive? Or do you plan on editing 10 tracks of HD video?

TBolt is dead. Check back in a year. Dead. Worse than firewire ever was.

Yes, it's 2 drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

Oh, please be more imaginative and considerate to not only PC/tech enthusiasts, but to prosumers and professionals that have more gear and bandwidth needs than your setup ever will. Just because you don't feel you have a desire to want to utilize next generation bandwidth speeds over wire doesn't mean everyone in the world shouldn't need it or want it. Why do you think firewire has remained this long?

Thunderbolt is also royalty free, as opposed to firewire, so it already stands a hell of a better chance than FW ever did.

KasperH

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Whats taking the manufacturers so long?, im sure whoever get's a nice alu single disk enclosure on the market first will be making a lot of money. Or?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.