Thunderbolt as fast as internal drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Richdmoore, May 3, 2011.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Hello, I am trying to figure out if an external thunderbolt drive will be as fast as the internal hard drive on these new macs.

My dream would be to get a fast external thunderbolt ssd boot drive in the future, so I can keep AppleCare by not opening my new iMac.

Any ideas (iMac has an sata6 hard drive connection, right?)

2. Siggen macrumors 6502

afaik it has not been released yet.

afaik, it will be released this year.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

this device is supposed to do what you want

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549

hurry up and wait for it just like I am. I will not buy a new iMac until this does just what we want!

4. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Thanks for the link. If the speed graph on that web page is believed, it looks like it will run circles around the internal hard drive.

Of course, I remember some macs (ppc?) couldn't boot off of USB, only FireWire external drives.

I will be in a holding pattern as well until I know for sure about this and lion is released.

5. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

I talked to a Apple engineer. He said that is possible to boot off the thunderbolt port. But of coarse Apple will not support running OSX off a external drive.

No big deal. As soon as I talked to him, i hung up the phone and cancelled my ssd + 1tb combo drive. And ordered a i7.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

That doesn't really make sense considering you can boot OS X from a FW drive. If Thunderbolt supports it, I'm sure Apple will support it eventually.