Thunderbolt external adapter shipping?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tomb01, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

OK, ordered one of the Seagate Goflex Thunderbolt adapters on Monday, am planning to use it with a bare Momentus XT drive (with SSD cache) for VMware images, will see if it is sufficiently faster than Firewire to justify the exorbitant cost... Got an order acknowledgement, but no shipping information or other indication of timing. Anyone else ordered one of these from Seagate, and if so did you receive any idea of when it might shipt?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom B.

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

lol who -1ed this guy? I was just looking at this adapter, I am very excited that Thunderbolt is picking up steam. So I can just plug in any bare SATA drive?

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

The article on the front page of this very website says so.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I -1ed this trhead because its a pointless thread, he isnt even talking about the product he wants someone here to tell him where his ship notification is

even if someone else on here ordered one, what difference does there shipping info say

5. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for being so nice, I always knew a 'discussion forum' was useful...

Get a grip.....

So we're not supposed to 'discuss' things here? Amazing.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well,
    a) this should go in the mac peripherals forum
    b) your post doesn't invite discussion... the main issue seems to be something related to your purchase/shipping

On-topic:
    I'm excited that low end thunderbolt hardware becomes available now. I think compared to firewire, as long as you use a HDD, the speed difference will be small and not worth the thunderbolt premium.
    On the other hand it seems that it is possible to put a SSD in the adapter, since it's just a SATA port. With a nice SATA III SSD, this would be awesome!

I hope that one of the TB cables that appeared on CES will soon become available - $50 just for the cable is awful... I hope it will go down to $20 or so.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

Ok move this to the other forum. In the meantime the question is here.

This is from a Samsung 830 64GB drive using this adapter (Xbench)

Results 401.57
    System Info
    Xbench Version 1.3
    System Version 10.7.2 (11C74)
    Physical RAM 4096 MB
    Model MacBookAir4,2
    Drive Type SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
    Disk Test 401.57
    Sequential 289.66
    Uncached Write 308.16,,,,, 189.21 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 275.81,,,,,, 156.05 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 188.51,,,,, 55.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 612.11,,,, 307.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 654.41
    Uncached Write 680.75 ,,,,72.06 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 321.24,,,, 102.84 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 2179.59,,,, 15.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 933.10 ,,,,173.14 MB/sec [256K blocks]

This thing is fast, No? :D

The great thing about this is that you don't need the Go-flex drive at all really, although the Go-flex drives are rather nice (just hard to swap drives). Any SATA notebook drive will fit as it's just a standard SATA connector. Just lay the drive on the sled like case with something to lift it a little (I'm just using some scrap material), and you are good-to-go. Of course you have to keep it from moving around to much, but the adapter is substantial, and has a nice rubber non-slip bottom.

The Thunderbolt accessories are pulling a hefty premium now, but the two drives I own (actually one Lacie drive and an adapter) are quality items, worth the extra cost probably. It's not like they are gouging much (I would be the first to scream).

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

A lurker colleague of mine pointed out this thread as a reason Mac users get such a bad rap for being obnoxious to the rest of the world. People post an honest question and get slammed like this.

Others see posts like this, the slam, and then get the idea that most Mac users are like this person.

A shame people can't treat others like how they would like to be treated...
    -P

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Ive only been a Mac user since Oct, I've called useless threads useless for a bit longer than that.

Why didn't I get my ship notification? Is not a question anyone outside of customer service for that company can answer

----------

Sorry to of offended you

Back to you ship notification question

Did you check your junk mail?

10. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got a confirmation email on the order. No status in it. Nothing on the Seagate website to indicate any order status (late last night their site changed to 'backorder' on this item). Was looking for other peoples experiences.

Do you feel better now?

I mean, come on, this is a 'rumors' and 'discussion' website. Maybe I put it in the wrong forum, so why didn't you just suggest it should be there?

Really, isn't this supposed to be a site where people help each other and discuss about things Mac related? And as one of the other posters indicated, isn't the availability of Thunderbolt (which some of us have been anxiously awaiting) devices for our Macbooks something worth discussing here?

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have been waiting for Seagate to release this for sometime, and find it is a fail for me. How could they not put another port on it, so that those of us that use external monitor can use a monitor and hard drive. What was Seagate thinking?? The desktop version has two ports, but not the portable.

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Because this probably was the only way to come up with a sub $100 device.

13. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

So the availability of this Thunderbolt option (one of the first on the market that general users MAY care about) is not of interest?

Understand the 'should be in peripherals forum' comment, and if I knew how to move it there, would do that....

Don't understand the comments that indicate that the availability of Thunderbolt enhancements to our Macbook's is not an appropriate topic for this forum.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Im all for discussing, but your thread does not invite discussion or debate

your asking if others that ordered it got their ship notification yet

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, it is of interest, and it's probably stupid that I and some others started discussing the quality of the thread instead of the actual item of interest. Sorry.

You can click on the little red triangle with the "!" in it on the left side of your post, below your name, and ask a mod to move this thread to the peripherals forum.

Anandtech has an article about it and macworld apparently already did some limited benchmarking of this device. The result is that even with a 5400 rpm drive, there is already a small improvement in transfer rates when compared to firewire 800, but probably not enough to justify the price difference to the firewire adapter.
    With a SSD instead this will be awesome.

16. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, good to know how to move a thread. And actually glad we got some discussion about this, still not sure I have any feedback, though, on anyone else receiving or not receiving the adapter... (sigh)

So, as iisforiphone said, this may not have been quite so perfect in asking for input.... Now I'm being explicit, anyone else received this adapter yet (see a lot of 'reviews' but no users feedback)?

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I read the Macworld article and with the SSD it was respectable (although I have never seen them do a comparison with the SSD and Firewire connector (would like to see the comparison between the two as the firewire should get maxed out theoretically). I know that the downfall is it still doesn't come with a cable so one is forced to pay $50 on top of Seagate's $99 to get a working solution.
    I just don't see how an extra $149 can be justifiable when I can't then use an external monitor?? I paid $20 for my firewire adaptor (which can also be used with any SATA drive) and I can still use my external monitor. So $149 and I still don't have a drive (add in the cost of the drive) compared to the ability to daisy chain and use an external monitor and the the other alternatives are starting to look better and better (the only thing Seagate has going for it is no needed external power source, but then I don't need it with my firewire drive).

I ask again, what was Seagate thinking? Do they feel that people need the portability and speed so much that they would sacrifice other functionality (i.e. external displays)??

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

nothing wrong with faster read and write speeds but for me personally firewire 800 is fast enough for my external hard drive needs, I only use it to do CCC backups, maybe when they come down it price

19. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I run images and can use all of the speed I can get, as I run multiple at a time (usually 3-4 along with OS X, so for me speed is the key). Otherwise I could get by with just a firewire as well.

20. mac jones macrumors 68040

Hey guys, i'm new to this stuff. This is the Go-flex with a Samsung 830 256GB.

Is this fast?

Results 544.97
    System Info
    Xbench Version 1.3
    System Version 10.7.2 (11C74)
    Physical RAM 4096 MB
    Model MacBookAir4,2
    Drive Type SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
    Disk Test 544.97
    Sequential 368.71
    Uncached Write 576.19,,,,,, 353.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 452.58,,,,, 256.07 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 191.14,,,,,, 55.94 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 598.10,,,,,, 300.60 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 1044.08
    Uncached Write 1193.76,,,,,, 126.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 687.88,,,,,, 220.22 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 2170.00,,,,,, 15.38 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 926.91,,,,,, 171.99 MB/sec [256K blocks]

21. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, one of my primary plans is for Super Duper backups, but the main rationale for me is vmWare images. I have multiple images that I regularly move to and from my internal drive (smallest is about 15 gigabytes, largest is in the 60 gigabyte range) and was hoping that an external Thunderbolt connected drive would eliminate the need to do that. Not sure I want to buy an SSD for that, but was hoping the Goflex option would help.

There is actually a portable raid device (Datatale) that is coming out with a Thunderbolt option this year, and two decent 7200 RPM drives with some cache might actually be able to speed up the transfer of my (sadly) huge files, or make the access fast enough to not move them around (he says optimistically).

----------

Back to my original thought (not written as explicitly as i had hoped), has anyone actually received this yet? Still no status from Seagate on my order.

22. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Why not just run the images for the external drive, rather than move them, is the drive really that slow? That is why I use firewire drives for running inlace (pretty much same file sizes as you).

23. mac jones macrumors 68040

Hey dude, did you kill filter me? Just curious. I you didn't your blind. :D If you did, your probably wise. ;)

24. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, Mac, not sure I understand your post?

25. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, he obviously has the new adapter and benchmarked it using a Samsung SSD. So he actually answered your question whether someone already got the adapter - yes!