Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple's new iMac models released yesterday appear nearly identical to their predecessors at first glance, the company has of course made a number of changes to beef up performance of its flagship desktop line.

100046-imac_2011_teardown_500.jpg

The folks over at iFixit quickly got their hands on one of the new 21.5-inch models and subjected it to one of their thorough teardown routines. Among the interesting findings:

100046-imac_2011_gpu_board.jpg

Graphics board and heat sink from new 21.5-inch iMac
- The AMD graphics chip is located on a separate board from the main logic board, allowing for replacement of the GPU without the need for an entirely new logic board. Apple of course doesn't make the GPU board particularly easy to access, as it is not considered a user-replaceable part, but it can be done.
With a bit of magic, the GPU heat sink detaches from the logic board, exposing the AMD GPU board. You heard that right, folks - you don't have to replace the entire logic board if your GPU explodes from too much l33t gaming. You can just swap out the GPU board for another one.
-The new iMac features the same LG display found in the previous generation.

-The optional secondary solid state drive appears to reside directly underneath the optical drive.
The optional SSD appears to reside beneath the optical drive - that's the only space we could find where something was clearly missing. There's three mounting points under the optical drive that have nothing attached to them in our machine, since this option is only available on 2.7 GHz 21.5" iMacs.
The previous-generation iMacs only supported secondary SSD drives on 27-inch models, with the bay positioned next to the optical drive. The bay may still be in that location on the new 27-inch models, but Apple clearly had to find a different layout for the internal components in the smaller body of the 21.5-inch model in order to fit the drive in.

100046-imac_2011_speedmark.jpg

Separate from iFixit's teardown, reviewers have also begun benchmarking the new iMac models with Macworld having already put the new 3.1 GHz 27-inch model through its Speedmark 6.5 testing suite. Unsurprisingly, the machine was found to be significantly faster than the previous generation.
Our overall system performance test suite, Speedmark 6.5, shows the new system to be 16 percent faster than the previous high-end standard configuration iMac, a 27-inch 2.8GHz Core i5 quad-core model with a 1TB 7,200-rpm hard drive, and ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics with 1GB of dedicated RAM.
Comparing to other machines, the new iMac clocked at about 10% faster than the standard high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro and about 15% slower than a build-to-order six-core Mac Pro.

Macworld will be subjecting the other three standard-configuration iMac models to the same battery of tests to provide comparison data.

Article Link: Thunderbolt iMac Torn Down and Benchmarked

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i wonder how much apple pays to assemble these? one would think it's cheaper to put a tower or something similar together than an all in one

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I'd be interested to see the GPU performance and if Apple finally put a high end GFX chip in a 2000 dollar machine.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
i wonder how much apple pays to assemble these? one would think it's cheaper to put a tower or something similar together than an all in one

Since when does Apple try to lower prices by making something less elegant and appealing to a wide audience? Price is no restrictor (compared to others)!!! :)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Still no word on SATA III for some or all of the busses? It shouldn't be hard to figure out, listed in System Profiler.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Replacable video card? Sweet but where in the world i can get it? It may be too Apple specific. And i am not sure that i will pay 1.5-2x than its equivalent on PCI Express slot...

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Replacable video card? Sweet but where in the world i can get it? It may be too Apple specific. And i am not sure that i will pay 1.5-2x than its equivalent on PCI Express slot...

It's no more replaceable than it's been for the last few years. All aluminium iMacs have kept the GPU separate from the logic board, on a separate card that slots in to the MLB. The design makes it easier for technicians to replace only the faulty component - it's certainly not for users to swap it out with other, possibly upgraded GPU's they find.

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
iFixit made a mistake, in 21.5" iMac 2.5Ghz not core i5 2800S, there is actually 2400S without HT. There is not chip from intel core i5 2800S, there is chip Core i7 2800 2.3Ghz quad core with HT, that is custom install by Apple in MacBook Pro.

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Glad to see that it is now so much easier to replace the harddrive on those iMacs - now I might get one and put a 500GB SSD in it :D

Just be sure to invest in anti-static screen roller. Once you've taken the glass off, it's almost impossible to get it back on without being left with a speck of dust trapped between the LCD and glass. 27 inch is twice as frustrating

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Taking a look at the pictures on iFixit, did it look like the CPU may be replaceable? That would be an interesting shift. Those brave souls could upgrade this machine albeit void the warranty. But most interesting. I like what I see.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
"Unsurprisingly, the machine was found to be significantly faster than the previous generation."

Yeah, because it's comparing the new i5 with the old i3. And even when it's compared with last years i5, that processor was 2.8ghz and the new one is 3.1ghz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.