Thunderbolt in new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lugesm, Jun 16, 2011.

1. lugesm, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Will be receiving my new iMac next week . . . with THUNDERBOLT.

I was kind-of excited about the high speed port until I realized that I don't have ANYTHING to plug into that port. Further, when I search the Internet for Thunderbolt peripherals, I don't find any that are currently available.

To make matters worse, Apple is offering new products with no USB-3 port. From what I can read on the Internet, USB-3 appears to be well underway, while Thunderbolt could go the way of FireWire. Sad.

In addition, it appears that a Thunderbolt to USB3 converter is not available, and probably not feasible.

Someone, please tell me I am wrong about this. :eek:

2. simsaladimbamba

TB devices will arrive in the next weeks, even USB 3 to TB adapters.
    There have been several threads about this, maybe you could look into one of them?

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

5. shady28 macrumors member

Thunderbolt Peripherals

It does look like some items will be coming out next week, hopefully actually available. Some articles are saying Apple will be using the Final Cut Pro X debut to also announce release of some peripherals.

It's about freaking time, 6 months since they released the Macbook Pro's and 2 months after the iMacs and you can't even buy an external thunderbolt HDD, or anything faster than FW800 for that matter.