Thunderbolt - Mini > iMac > TBD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by neilmacd, Aug 11, 2012.

1. neilmacd macrumors 6502

Would a mini, using an iMac in target display mode, with a thunderbolt display running of the iMac result in dual screen output from the mini? :confused:

Also, if a device in the middle of a daisy chain is powered off, does it break the chain?

After several hours of searching I can't find an answer anywhere!

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

1)no but not sure,

2)yes this I have tested and it is true in any variation of;

1 or 2 lacie lbd's ,

1 pegasus r6 and

one seagate stae121. ,

I was able to do all possible combos with 2 3 or 4 of the devices { I own the four mentioned above}

and in all cases powering off the first kills all after powering off the second all after die powering

off the third the fourth dies

3. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

I didn't test it, but understanding how Thunderbolt and the target display mode work, I'm pretty sure it works - as long as there is another device in-between the two. As you know you can't connect two displays to one TB port without another device between the two displays.

4. neilmacd thread starter macrumors 6502

But would the iMac, being a computer AND display, count as the "other" device?

Mini connects to iMac thunderbolt port 1, port 2 outputs to the Thunderbolt Display via the built in cable?

Would love to see somebody try this!

5. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

No, unfortunately this "shouldn't" be possible. I watched a video explaining exactly how TB works with displays a while ago, and it looks like the display-port signal can't be carried on directly from one display to another, but rather needs another device to do this job. I'm absolutely sure that it doesn't work without this additional device in-between.

You can ignore the computer in the iMac for this case. The only parts used in target display mode are the mainboard, the TB ports and the display (don't know about the USB/FW/Ethernet controllers), even though the whole computer runs in the background.