Thunderbolt server on old PC for my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mantissa, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Mantissa macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi All,
    After the woeful performance of my DroboFS (even with Jumbo Frame support) I am looking to convert an old PC into a Thunderbolt enabled raid server or DAS (or JBOD) and access it directly from my Sandybridge iMac via the Thunderbolt connection. I would then use the Drobo to back the server up.

The 18TB Pegasus R6 is not available here in Australia and even if it was - it would be out of my budget.

I would not be running the PC in target disc mode (I had considered making it a Hackintosh but also want the PC for 3d Studio Max work).

What I need to know is - do I need a specific disc configuration of the raid on the server to not suffer bottlenecks or performance issues when accessing it directly from the iMac via the Thunderbolt connection? ie: a specific raid level, a dedicated raid controller rather than using motherboard raid control, chipsets, etc. The mobo I was considering is the
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH.

Yeah, I know this is more a PC focused question and this is a Mac forum - but what better than to make subservient slaves of the PC's to the Mac rulers.

I just don't want to spend my hard earned on a Thunderbolt enabled PC server if I can't connect at those speeds over the Thunderbolt connection directly from the iMac.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.
  2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    try this site