thunderbolt slowly becoming the next fw800

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefmesman, Jun 9, 2011.

1. stefmesman macrumors 6502

i dont know about you guys, but im slowly getting the feeling as if thunderbolt is becoming the next fw800.

even the adaption of usb3 was faster. thunderbolt release was 4 months ago.

and still there are no TB devices with a set release date.

how do you guys feel about this?

2. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Couldn't agree more.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Intel is working on a release along with another company. USB3 took off because the port is the same as USB2. Intel hasn't started launching USB3 that fast either. We all know Thunderbolt is the way and the future it's just getting everything setup perfectly before launching. Give it time, I know it sucks but like all new things it takes time. Facebook didn't dominate on day 1, nor did Apple.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

it sucks, but manufacturers have to have time to implement TB into their products. It doesn't happen over night, and Intel has said all along that TB devices won't be available until about mid-summer.

That said, we should start seeing drives any time now.

It should also be known, other than maybe some adapters (if released) TB drives are going to be very expensive and probably not something most people are going to buy.

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

Problem is, Intel will come with a new and much faster "thunderbolt". Perhaps they will call that one Light peak. This is just the slow version.

So when Thunderbolt is finally well supported by 3rd parties and usable, it might not last long because the new version is on it's way ( no idea when that one is released )

6. AFPoster macrumors 65816

It will be just like SSD drives until the price drops. When I say SSD I refer to the price tag with minimal space.

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I don't see this happening at all. Doesn't make sense. USB2 was out for several years before 3 got announced and when that happened you heard all the buzz on Thunderbolt.

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Light Peak was the code name, TB the retail name. They are just using copper instead of fiber because it is much cheaper to produce at this time. Intel will adapt to fiber over the next several years, but future tb ports should be backwards compatible with current accessories.
    That's because in order to take advantage of the increased i/o speeds of TB, SSD drives have to be used. Since SSD's are expensive and TB drives are basically external SSD's, TB drives are also going to be expensive until we see prices decrease for SSD's.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

Well, thunderbolt is not what Light Peak was supposed to be. There already has been talks about the speeds of the new version that will come.

So you might see that Thunderbolt is still trying to gain market share when it's replaced by a new version in maybe 2-3 years?

10. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

id rather use usb 3.0, mainly because its the same connection. that extra speed thunderbolt is capable i will never take advantage of.

this is going to be especially true for PC users, theyve already got usb 3.0, and i doubt they'll switch peripherals for thunderbolt.

the game is pretty much over already and its clear that thunderbolt IS the new Firewire.

11. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

why is everyone assuming they will only use SSD HD's? wasnt thunderbolt ment to be daisychained? so why cant i hook up 3 normal HD's with thunderbolt? who said anything about SSD only?

it was already mentioned by intel that the new optic thunderbolt will be forwards and backwards compatible. there will be optic to coper transcoders in the cable itself.

12. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Sorry, I'm a noob, but I'm guessing that Firewire was supposed to take off, but failed to become popular? I was just wondering the other day what the heck that port was used for.

Also, anyone have an idea how much Lacie's thunderbolt-enabled "Little Big Disk" will cost when it comes out this summer? If it's reasonable I'd definitely be interested... copying my hard drive via usb 2.0 was a pain a few days ago.

13. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

guissing the price of the SSD included tops a 300,- for the enclosure + thunderbolt.

14. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

USB3 has not taken off. There are only a few USB3 devices on the market.

15. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The "Pro" in MacBook Pro? FireWire is alive and well in professional video and audio.

Who said anything about consumer devices? Thunderbolt will deliver for professionals... at a professional price.

16. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

I'm guessing $300 for the 1TB drive, and $500+ for the dual Intel 510 SSDs (256GB each)

17. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

I think its too early to proclaim the death of Thunderbolt

18. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I think you're forgetting that USB 3.0 was finalized in November 2009 and Intel/AMD have only just NOW commited to integrating it as a standard feature into their chipsets.

USB 3.0 is "available", but it has not "taken off".

19. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Thanks for today's best laugh. That's a gem. :D

20. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    lmao@ only a few USB3 periph. available... have you heard of google product search?

tbh ppl need to get a grip - usb3 is really taking off and there are plenty of usb periphs being released!

i think 1/2 the ppl postin obsessional TB devotion will cop a TB>>USB3 adapter once released and since TB periph will most likely be significantly more expensive than USB3

21. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Probably, but Thunderbolt is also a lot more capable. USB 3 is only a faster bus. That's all. Since any PCI-E device can interface with Thunderbolt, it could literally be the connector to rule them all..

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Thunderbolt has really taken off. :rolleyes:

Like The shelves at best buy are jammed packed with thunderbolt products.

23. jason221 macrumors 6502

I have an external HDD that can be used with both FW800 and USB2. I use FW800 because it is much faster than USB2.

24. booksacool1, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

booksacool1 macrumors 6502

You have got to be kidding.

The majority of new retail PC motherboards now have USB 3, even some atom boards are getting USB 3. USB 3 peripherals are everywhere at the local department store, especially for portable drives. Have a look on ebay.

USB 3 is also cheap. I bought a USB 3 pcie card for $25 a little while back and an enclosure for $20.

I can't even find any thunderbolt upgrade cards (pcie) or peripherals.

I disagree. Just because it hasn't previously been integrated into chipsets doesn't mean its not successful.

In the consumer world, pretty much. FW800 enabled hard drive cases remained extremely expensive. FW800 flash drives never really appeared, likewise with most of USB's other peripherals.