Thunderbolt SSD Boot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by police340, Apr 26, 2012.

1. police340 macrumors regular

Hello,

I bought a Lacie Thunderbolt drive and replaced the two internal hard drives with two SSD drives and loaded OSX onto it. I have a 2011 27" iMac. I only tried it out and am booting off internal hard drive now but wanted to know if this is a good idea to use the Thunderbolt SSD boot option? This would be in lieu of putting an SSD inside the iMac.

Just wondering what others think? Thanks, Bill

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Nothing speaks against booting off that SSD RAID. Just make sure you have a good backup solution, like with any other drive.

3. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbolt SSD Boot

Would that be quicker than booting off and running prpgrams on the internal hard drive? Thanks.

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Way quicker. It would be just as if you were booting off an internal SSD RAID, provided the Thunderbolt enclosure is bootable, which I guess it is.

5. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbolt SSD Boot

Yes, it is bootable. I set it up a while back but after verifying that it booted, never played with again as I am new to Mac and wasnt sure. Maybe I will experiment with somemore. Thank you, Bill

6. plucky duck macrumors 6502

For those who would rather not crack open the iMac, then a thunderbolt solution is the next best thing IMO. Hide it behind the iMac with a rack and you're good to go!

I never felt the urge to raid any SSD solutions though, as I find the performance to be more than adequate.

7. giampablo macrumors newbie

SSD boot

Read this article by Patrick Lenz.

As far as I remember he has basically your own setup.
    As he says: once you went SSD somewhere, you’re not going back. ;)

Regards

8. plucky duck macrumors 6502

The Lacie LBD Thunderbolt SSD is a horrible value imo. Back then without any thunderbolt adapters readily available I can see why people would want one, but now there are cheaper alternatives out there.

9. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

What alternatives are you recommending that are Thunderbolt? Thanks.

10. philipma1957, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

the lacie non thunderbolt and swapping in two ssds works fine and is low cost. much less then using the pre made thunderbolt set up. I run a 768gb ssd using two stock lacie little big disks. with 3 256gb samsung ssds in a raid0 in the fourth slot I have a 1tb hdd as a backup. I have two long threads on lacie thunderbolt and seagate thunder bolt adapter

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1317577

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280118

my solutions posted are lower in price then any other solutions

(no stock t-bolt ssd is cheaper as of today 4/30/12 )

, plus they work.

The best solution is a promise pegasus r6 but it is costly. I got a 6 tb model pulled the 6 oem 1tb hdds. put in 2 samsung 512gb series 830 ssds ran them as a raid0 osx then I put in 4 tb hdds and use them in one raid0 4tb setup and two seperate 2tb hdds as storage and back ups. this cost money .

1320 for the pegasus 1400 for the 2 ssds was 2720. I sold the 1tb hdds for 750 at the peak of the hdd shortage so 2070 then I grabbed 4 2tb hdds for 400 so I spent 2470 for that setup. that is a lot of money but is very good quality with speed and performance top end. a 1tb ssd and 8tb in hdds all very high speed. Note the pegasus has a 2tb size limit for a single hdd last I checked.