Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter experience?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CmdrLaForge, May 19, 2013.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has experience with the Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter with

--> HDDs
    --> Firewire Audio Interfaces

Upon that I need to decide wether to buy or not to buy a new retina MBP.

Thanks a lot.

- LaForge

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

no issues with HDDs at all for myself or friends. Its like the port is natively built in as it should act.

3. ColdCase, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have the Apple TB to FW adapter for my rMBP. It and the rMBP case where it connects to gets quite warm during use.

I happen to have one of the OWC guardian eSATA/USB3/FW800 enclosures configured for redundant RAID. For grins I connected it through the FW adapter and ran the blackmagic benchmarks. Then connected directly to the USB3 port. Both offer stable performance but FW is noticeably slower than USB 3. Benchmarks comparison shows USB3 about 130 MBps for large sequential type data where FW through the adapter is 80MBps. Dunno what is inside the Guardian enclosure, perhaps the FW implementation is weak. Its the same enclosure and RAID/drive, just connected via the different interfaces using quality cabling. I would expect eSATA to be better as that is the native drive format, but the rMBP does not have an eSATA port, not that I'm bitter :)

No issues, however.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Running daisy-chain of 6 FW800 drives off the TB adapter. Seem to run fine. Speeds seem about what they were on the native FW800 on my 2009 MBP.

USB 3 speeds are definitely capable of faster speeds. If the drive is fast enough, it would saturate FW800 and you would see much higher transfer rates (say, 80 MBps v 115 MBps). Slower drives, like the 2TB WD Green (3.5"), not so much.

5. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your replies. Sound really good so far for HDD usage.

Anyone who tried it with a Firewire Audio Interface?

Cheers
    LaForge

6. opinio macrumors 65816

I have heard, but do not have experience with this, that the t-bolt to FireWire adapter is problematic with bus powered devices like 2.5" drive enclosures. I think I read that on the reviews on the apple site when I went to buy one and decided not too after seeing that comment a few times.

7. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I use mine with an m-audio firewire 410 without issue.

8. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi there,

thanks. That sounds good. I will give it a try then. I have a Saffire Firewire Audio Interface.

Do you power through the adapter or use a separate power adapter fur the interface?

Cheers
    LaForge