Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
LMAO, what for? Seems pretty useless to me. USB3 is a crappy dead-end technology, which is why intel has skipped it and gone straight to light peak. There's no such thing as an intel chipset with built-in USB3.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
There's no such thing as an intel chipset with built-in USB3.

At the moment, is there such a thing as a consumer device with a Thunderbolt-compatible port?

Are we supposed to upgrade all our cameras with Thunderbolt-friendly versions?

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Oh man stop drinking the koolaid dime. USB3 is still super fast compared to usb2 which is what 99% of people use now, and unlike thunderbolt there are actually usb3 products on the market. Also intel has said they will start supporting usb3 this year. Besides most devices won't even max out a usb3 connection so what's the point of using a faster IO?

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Oh man stop drinking the koolaid dime. USB3 is still super fast compared to usb2 which is what 99% of people use now, and unlike thunderbolt there are actually usb3 products on the market. Also intel has said they will start supporting usb3 this year. Besides most devices won't even max out a usb3 connection so what's the point of using a faster IO?
I think you've smoked too much USB granola. I don't use USB for anything except my mouse. My external hard drives, both my cameras, my card reader, my DVD burner, and my flat bed scanner are all Firewire. Once equivalent Light Peak devices come available, I'll transition to that.

Sorry, but USB just plain sucks. It provides almost no bus power, it has very high latency, bandwidth absolutely sucks when you compare actual to theoretical, which is due to massive protocol overhead. Also, it isn't isochronous, which is required for audio and video work. USB3 is a hack on top of a band-aid. It's a piss poor solution.

Your tinkertoy USB devices are not what media professionals use.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Besides most devices won't even max out a usb3 connection so what's the point of using a faster IO?
Because if more people use thunderbolt then more manufacturers will use it instead of inferior technologies like USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Do you really need an explanation why thunderbolt is better? Must we really list these things easily found with a simple Google search.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
So professionals aren't using Blackmagic's UltraStudio Pro? or USB 3.0 drives over FireWire 800? It must be nice to know every media professional.

acunit86

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011

I have 2 usb 3 3tb drives that I use for my home theater pc and love them. Their read and write times are just as fast as the 2 3tb western digital green drives I have on sata, but their random access speeds and latency are a bit slower. It's not a big deal for what I use them for - and I would love to be able to connect them to my new thunderwhatever port.

I may not be a 'media professional', but I and every other economist in my department have been using WD usb 3 drives to store our data because of the increased speed and compatibility with usb2 when necessary. We don't need the instant latency, and thunderstruck whatever will be just as fast as usb 3 because you've reached the mechanical limits of the hard drive. (doesn't apply to ssd necessarily)

Last edited:

davefave

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
I think you've smoked too much USB granola. I don't use USB for anything except my mouse. My external hard drives, both my cameras, my card reader, my DVD burner, and my flat bed scanner are all Firewire. Once equivalent Light Peak devices come available, I'll transition to that.

Sorry, but USB just plain sucks. It provides almost no bus power, it has very high latency, bandwidth absolutely sucks when you compare actual to theoretical, which is due to massive protocol overhead. Also, it isn't isochronous, which is required for audio and video work. USB3 is a hack on top of a band-aid. It's a piss poor solution.

Yes. Because everyone in the world is a media "professional".

Your use of FireWire accounts for one hundredth of one percent of people who use computers. My IT company has worked with thousands of SME and large corporations and literally 0% use FireWire for any devices.

Compatibility wins at the end of the day.

LightPeak / Thunderbolt is the new Firewire. It will always take backseat to USB 3.0 in terms of adoption. Period.

Last edited:

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Bringing us back to the original point of this thread, is a USB 3 to Thunderbolt adapter even possible?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Haha, USB 3.0 will kick a$$ and you won't have it. Suck it up!

Uhh yeah, Thunderbolt supports USB 3.0 protocol along with many others, so like the OP said he would like the adapter. Thunderbolt is faster, supports more standards and has a better physical connector.

I'd imagine a USB3->Thunderbolt adapter will be on monoprice at some point soon in the next few months. The port was just announced so it will take some time before manufactures start using it.

davefave

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Bringing us back to the original point of this thread, is a USB 3 to Thunderbolt adapter even possible?

I don't see why it won't be possible.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple implements USB 3.0 in the 2012 MBP refresh.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Give me an iPhone/iPad compatible with Thunderbolt and an external HD with Thunderbolt compatibility and that is all I will ever need.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't see why it won't be possible.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple implements USB 3.0 in the 2012 MBP refresh.

Lol cause that makes sense. Help develop a better standard then include the slower standard a year later. I would bank on either another tb port or one less USB port next year.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Even if it is just a firewire update, which I doubt, I'd still welcome it. You know something, I used to install media for the elderly. If there was just one plug for them to handle, they probably would have died and gone to heaven (I've often been told by them there should be just that).

I don't think the media professionals only situation is realistic for that reason. T-bolt has the possibility to be that one port, USB3 never will.

@OP yes of course support will be there for T-bolt to USB3. Google it. :)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

yes, usb is so awful, thats why no ones uses it... oh wait...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I think Thunderbolt is a sensational idea that will get good adoption due to the simultaneous release on Wintel and Mac.

The literature says you don't need a hub, which is fine, but I want a dongle that resembles a hub that has Tunderbolt I/O and legacy ports such as USB 1/2, FW400, FW800, VGA, DVI, and HDMI A/V. I do not want to throw out my devices that have ports more than a month old as "obsolete".

Since one aspect of Thunderbolt is PCIe native, perhaps a plug for that to hard drives would be in order. I suspect this wish list is more of a Belkin thing than an Apple thing, but it could also have wifi, bluetooth and possibly even data only 3G/LTE and be a "super extreme" Apple unit.

I want a data plan where I can have three wireless cellular data devices authorized to use my pool of GB.

Rocketman

Beige Panda

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Media professionals don't use AMD GPUs, either, because so many programs only officially support nvidia. Avid and Adobe, to name two that I use a ton.

However, the new macbook pros don't have nvidia options, only AMD. Huh.

On topic, though, there's no reason there couldn't be a thunderbolt/usb3 adapter.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
You Apple slaves! You would buy and defend it to death if Apple started selling Steve Jobs' poo.

Doesn't the new Macbook Pro have USB 2.0 ports. They could have been USB 3.0 as well. (Still keeping the SOO beloved Thunderbolt) Wake up!

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
yeah, no one is arguing that USB3 is faster or more robust, but USB is gonna be around for a long while. If we have to have USB(which we do), it might as well be 3.0 as it's backwards compatible with the millions of 2.0 devices out there and the 3.0 devices out there and future 3.0 devices. There would be no change whatsoever physically on machines and intel is supporting USB3.0 in 2011, it makes sense to have both USB3 and TB. It's not like it's going to add cost to the machine, maybe a marginal amount in manufacturing but nothing that would push up the price of the machines.

davefave

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Lol cause that makes sense. Help develop a better standard then include the slower standard a year later. I would bank on either another tb port or one less USB port next year.

Orly?

What about the first 3 generations of the iPod being FireWire only, and then phased over to USB 2.0 only?

IIRC - Apple developed a "better" standard: FireWire... and now NONE of their iOS devices (not to mention the rest of the iPods, MacBook, and MacBook Airs) utilize any type of FireWire support.

Please tell me why this will be any different.

Consumers (and their wallets) will FORCE Apple to use USB 3.0.

Ryan Of Seattle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
So professionals aren't using Blackmagic's UltraStudio Pro? or USB 3.0 drives over FireWire 800? It must be nice to know every media professional.

I was planning to buy blackmagic shuttle so that is why usb 3.0 would rock but i guess i will have to wait for black magic to make a thunderbolt model.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
You Apple slaves! You would buy and defend it to death if Apple started selling Steve Jobs' poo.

Doesn't the new Macbook Pro have USB 2.0 ports. They could have been USB 3.0 as well. (Still keeping the SOO beloved Thunderbolt) Wake up!

Those USB 2.0 ports are there because that is what is provided on the Intel chipset. Intel don't do USB 3.0 yet, PC makers have been using 3rd party controllers. Apple however use reference Intel chipsets, so USB 2.0 only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.