Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stecolombe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Hello,
Next week I will receive the brand new MacBook Pro TouchBar (13") with the four Thunderbolt ports.
I am a sound engineer and am using the RME Babyface Pro sound card via USB.
These are the specs according to their own manual =
USB 2.0 Digital I/O System
The microphones need 48v phantom power.
On my Imac 21.5 mid 2011 this works perfectly.
Also incidentally on a Sony VAIO

I bought these adapters, are they sufficient to provide the Phantom power and all to my sound card?
Thanks for your answers!
=
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01ARMHR8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61-tHaVHnGL._SL1500_.jpg

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
It should work but of course the phantom power I believe on the RME Babyface is provided via the interface's own power adapter.

Stecolombe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
It should work but of course the phantom power I believe on the RME Babyface is provided via the interface's own power adapter.
Thanks!
Of course the Phantom power is supplied by the sound card. I was just worried that such a simple adapter would do the trick.
Other forums suggest much bulkier and expensive adapters...

DanDilla

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Lüneburg, Germany
Hi,

I'm working as an Audio Engineer too, and I would suggest you to go for a cable and maybe for another one when there are thicker ones (maybe with ferrite cores).

This should work in the first place:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00WJSPW6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YvRtybWPGCG60

I usually went for the DJTT USB-Cables as they got a great Quality and are relatively cheap, if you compare them to other (especially audio-speced cables).
For small, not really high-end Interfaces, you wont find these usually with USB, the sound and build quality of these cables is more than enough and you don't need to spend like 100 bucks for a really good cable, as these interfaces don't provide the DAC's which would make you really hear a difference.

But that's just my opinion, based on a few personal tests in some really well sounding studios.

Every plugable connection is a cause of error, why I would avoid adapters or dongles.
As they always add more "loose" connection points.

Stecolombe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Thanks I just ordered the cable, it's nice as it really has the same male end as the RME Babyface pro. Many many thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: DanDilla
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.