Thurrott bashes Leopard before it's even released

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaw04005, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Not that it's a surprise, but Windows enthusiast Paul Thurrott is already promoting his Leopard review before it has even been released.

I can't wait to read "Skinning a Cat: On October 26, Apple released Leopard. Find out why the new OS X is nothing to switch about."

For the record, I like Paul and enjoy his Windows Weekly podcast with Leo Laporte, but his promotional graphic/smear campaign is a bit much.

http://www.winsupersite.com/

Attached Files:

2. Jazhawk macrumors member

A bit heavy handed calling Thurrott's column a bash aren't you? Leopard can stand on it's own and Thurrott isn't given to making opinions you'd expect from a Microsoft fanboy.

-Jazhawk

3. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Paul is just upset because Vista has received a lot of bad press and he knows Leopard probably won't. Plus he's trolling for site hits.

4. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Did i miss the part where the douche actually posted an article?

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

Try reading next time:

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

And we're giving him the exact response he was looking for.

He can't bash it until he's tried it, but likewise, we can't praise it before we've tried it. That's not to say I'm not looking forward to the 26th of October; I'm going to be getting Leopard as soon as my finances allow it :D

7. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

He just needs the time until the 26th to come up with excuses as to why Leopard is no reason to switch.

And why would he even begin to review OS X as a Microsoft fantatic? To get sympathism from both sides? Oh please.

8. foidulus macrumors 6502a

How can he

I mean, Microsoft hasn't even had time to poorly copy the features of Leopard into their next OS release yet! I mean, I guess he could "review Tiger" by reviewing Vista but....

9. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Thurrot is a mindless drone who is influenced by a change in the wind.

10. Queso macrumors G4

To be fair this is the guy that stated Vista would be a "train wreck" months before it was released. He is probably trolling for hits, but considering Mac users keep falling for it, why shouldn't he boost his site's advertising revenue? It's easy money and he gets to have a laugh whilst doing it.

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree.

13. Philsy macrumors 6502a

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

15. Philsy macrumors 6502a

I know, but it suggests that his Leopard review will be similarly thought out.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I agree in that it cuts nicely through Apple's hype. However, I don't think it does quite as good a job cutting through Windows hype.

I don't understand Thurott's insistence that Apple copied spotlight from Windows. Everyone wants fast search - the idea of fast search is no innovation. The innovation is the fact that Apple got there first.

17. Philsy macrumors 6502a

Fair point, he doesn't address Windows hype, but perhaps that's not the point of the article.

I was surprised at the claim that Windows had fast search first - Microsoft certainly wasn't fast in implementing it!

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW Microsoft has had a fast file system indexer they called "fast find" that shipped with Office 97 and was also later integrated into XP.

Only problem is it's lousy (limited in what it can find, plus a serious resource hog) and was not readily accessible. It has always been disruptive to the extent that most people turn it off.

In Vista the extended it and made it accessible. From what I hear it still doesn't work.

B

19. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well, he sort of backtracked on that statement. He thought Vista's development schedule and initial developer releases were train wrecks, but he has been one of the few vocal supporters of Vista since its release.

And it's important to note that he didn't have graphic banners reflecting those comments across his Web site.

I just think the graphic is a bit much. Thurrott hasn't even used Leopard (even in preview form), yet he has already put a negative spin on it.

20. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I just saw the banner on his site and I was about to post a new thread about it. The problem with this guy is how often he contradicts himself in his articles when it comes to Mac, but I can't recall anything in particular right now.

Regardless, he's the kind of person who equates Mac OS X Upgrades such as Leopard to Windows Service Packs :rolleyes: So it isn't surprising that he's already bashing Leopard before even trying it out.

Edit: I also remember reading one of his articles claiming that Leopard had been delayed 3 times!

21. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

That alone is reason enough not to trust the guy. I've talked to dozens and dozens of people, myself included, who use Vista and they all hate it, with the exception of one person. And that person's rationale for liking Vista over XP was that it looks prettier.

22. Mekgek macrumors member

I don't agree with everything Paul Thurrott says but he does have some valid points. Especially that Apple sometimes could be a little less "smug" about the stuff they release, like it's going to change the world.

Anyway, I am curious to see his review. So far I really really like all the new features of OSX Leopard (apart from the ugly dock, menu-bar and background)...so I can't imagine the review being that negative.

23. projectle macrumors 6502

I could see something along the lines of "delivered extremely late", bundles features specifically to get it's users to install Windows (Windows drivers ON the Leopard install Disc)... something about their OS being sub-par because it does not have such things as Aero's ability to view thumbnails of all open applications and web browser tabs and how much of what is implemented into the latest OS X release is a direct copy a list of Windows features.

Think about how Transparent bars and menu items were introed AFTER Vista.

Sure, OS X had them back since 10.2, but still. They were less prominent back in the day.

24. Mekgek macrumors member

I hope he remembers his own words and doesn't start bitching at apple supposedly copying features.

To me and probably most of consumers it really does not matter who copied what and who had the original idea. I just want a good operating system, I don't give a **** whether a feature was copied or not...

Apple should shut up about microsoft coying stuff, Paul should shut up about apple copying stuff, and so should everybody else.

25. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

If you go all the way back to 10 and 10.1, translucency was actually more prominent in the operating system. However, users complained and Apple toned it down in 10.2 and again in 10.3.