Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A Press release today announced that Thursday and Thrice will be performing on October 15th at the Apple retail stores in New York City and Santa Monica, California.

The two performances will take place at 7 pm EDT and 7 pm PDT and kick off a "highly anticipated" tour for both bands. The performances will be later streamed from Apple's Quicktime site and be available exclusively on Apple's iTunes Music Store

October 15th, incidentally, is one of the rumored dates for the release of the Apple iTunes Music Store for Windows.

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Who? I can't say they're highly anticipated by me - sounds like your usual PR bull****.

Still, whatever floats your boat and all that...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
interesting....

October 15 a coincidence?

Also, Apple is quickly going beyond the usual Online Download store by coordinating events like this with bands. Really gets the Apple name in music fan's heads.

arn

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
thursday is getting too big for their britches... hopefully the sound will not water down too much

the days of opening up for boy sets fire are long gone i suppose.

i can only imagine how long the line will be at soho. not worth the drive, especially on a wednesday....

Pappy Wappy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
It is disappointing that apple is picking bands that have so little staying power over bands who are a little bit more interesting.

oh well, i guess that's how the "promotion" thing works.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
bay area performance?

Hmm, I guess they are not going to be having a performance at any of the San Francisco Bay Area stores. Oh well. It is cool they are having both a west coast and an east coast concert. Rock on!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Pappy Wappy
It is disappointing that apple is picking bands that have so little staying power over bands who are a little bit more interesting.

oh well, i guess that's how the "promotion" thing works.

what's funny is that these bands actually do have the interesting aspect... have you heard them?

i haven't heard thrice, but thursday is far better than most of the stuff on the radio these days... they deserve a day in the sun, though it might not last long (society is too dumb to see the good in their tunes) unless they just give in to the record label...

who is more "interesting"?

ecino1

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
Amazing. I've never heard of Thursday, but Thrice is one of my favorite bands. This has to mean ITMS for Windows! Very Cool.

fuge

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I don't think it's a coincidence.

I think Apple will launch iTunes for Windows on October 15th in conjunction with these concerts and hand out copies of iTunes for Windows to every person that comes to the concert.

Maybe they'll hand out copies to every person that comes to a concert on the tour and use these up and coming bands to promote the software to their fans. Word will spread fast. "Go to Apple.com and download iTunes, it rocks!"

Maybe you even get a discount on the Concert recording for both bands to be sold on iTunes afterwards.

How cool would that be?

Here's to hoping.

jer2665

macrumors regular
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
thursday is getting too big for their britches... hopefully the sound will not water down too much

the days of opening up for boy sets fire are long gone i suppose.

i can only imagine how long the line will be at soho. not worth the drive, especially on a wednesday....

eh, they aint fit to open for boy sets fire if you ask me. Boy sets fire is still MUCH better than them.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by jer2665
eh, they aint fit to open for boy sets fire if you ask me. Boy sets fire is still MUCH better than them.

oh, i agree totally

but then again, isn't that what opening bands are? lesser bands???

at least usually

not when sense field opened for dashboard confessional though... i wanted to shoot myself. or at least all the teeny boppers.

thursday might be getting too much play these days, but i still think they're a good show, and a good band overall.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
hmm...

Maybe the new store redesigns (MN and VA) are to create concert venues. :)

arn

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
This could become a classic line:

"Thank you New York! You rock! You can purchase our CDs on your way out or on iTune Music Store"

Originally posted by arn
hmm...

Maybe the new store redesigns (MN and VA) are to create concert venues. :)

arn

arn! I think you nailed it!

Soon, Apple's gonna hire arn for his clairvoyance. (Or at least to make him shut macrumors down ^_^ )Who knows, maybe we'll see him give the keynote in the near future.

Pappy Wappy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
thrice and thursday and a few other bands like them are just being set up to be the next blink-182 or whatever bad band of the moment. their little moment in the sun will fade and then they'll still be pretending to be mad and playing on the original roots of "emo" and hardcore.

unfortunately boy sets fire is actually on a level below the other two bands as far as label priority goes.

the kids like this stuff now and they should go with it, it will make people pay attention, but so would whatever pop star they could find.

thursday and thrice seem to be kind of recycled and packaged for mass consumption at this point. That is what i mean by "interesting aspect", rock bands like that, on island especially, don't really bring a lot to the table except for angry, angsty kids who are all "dude, you know exactly how i feel!"

but whatever this is a mac forum not a music forum. . .sorry.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sounds awesome... But an Apple store doesnt really seem like a good venue to me.... I guess they know what they're doing though.

chickengrease16

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
thursday is amazing. but yeah, i think this is a little too big of an event for them. maybe not. we'll see. if you havent heard of thursday, before you post "WHO?!?!" as a reply, go find their music somewhere (preferably legally) and listen to it. check the itunes music store, they have their newest album up there. they have thrice up there too. remember, you get free 30 second previews...

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
but then again, isn't that what opening bands are? lesser bands???
i wanted to shoot myself.

Those are my favorite kinds of shows, where I go to see the opener and then bail before the headliners even go on stage. I get exactly what I want and don't have to sit through the "better" bands. :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
what's funny is that these bands actually do have the interesting aspect... have you heard them?

i haven't heard thrice, but thursday is far better than most of the stuff on the radio these days... they deserve a day in the sun, though it might not last long (society is too dumb to see the good in their tunes) unless they just give in to the record label...

who is more "interesting"?

Some people are marketing infants. They nurse off of what is given to them. All they know is what they hear on the radio. Unfortunately only about 5% of the talent pool is heard on the radio and about 99% of what is on the radio is cookie cutter crap.

Good to see Apple supporting good bands that need the publicity.

My brother in law has been in several bands that could have gone places. One of them called, "Good Gravy," had a record and could have really taken off if it had just gotten radio time. They played in the Seattle area for anyone who might of heard of them.

I just listened to Thrice and Thursday both on iTunes Music Service and I have to say they are both quite good. So much so that I purchased both there albums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by cr2sh
Those are my favorite kinds of shows, where I go to see the opener and then bail before the headliners even go on stage. I get exactly what I want and don't have to sit through the "better" bands. :)

I can't remember where it was maybe Ozzfest or Lalapalooza where the opening band was better then the main band. In fact they were so much better that the main band was booed off the stage so that the opener could come out and do a complete performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.