ticking and freeze?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CBillups1, Sep 30, 2009.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

randomly for the first im ever, my brother was on my macbook and all of a sudden the computer froze and it had a ticking noise coming from the inside. it honestly sounded like a ticking time bomb :eek::confused: i shut the lid but it didnt go to sleep the screen stayed lit so i shut it down with the button and started it back up.

anyone had this happen before? anything bad? my warranty is up in a month so im just a little worried even though i plan on getting the applcare this week.

2. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Potential hard drive failure perhaps? Then again the sound preceding that as always sounded like a click click sound to me.

3. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Definitely sounds like a dying hard drive.

Nothing else inside the computer really moves/could make a ticking noise that would match up with system issues and freezing.

5. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I second that.

Which Macbook and hard drive is this? How old?

6. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

its the aluminum macbook 13". i got it last october so near the end of the month it will be 1 year.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Get thee to an Apple store, quickly.

8. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Exactly. And back up before you take it...

9. nebarik macrumors member

definatly. if the hdd is going, apple will just replace it. sometime they will do a data transfer if possible. but backup just incase

10. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

wow are you guys serious? what do i need to bring to the store? and do i just tell them hey my macbook is messed up?

also how do i backup my harddrive? do i need something extra to do it? im kind of a newb

11. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I've never had to take my MacBook in to the store (or any other product), so I can't really help you there. I assume some type of proof that it's your MacBook, like receipt, and maybe a copy of your AppleCare agreement.

For backing up, that's easy. Do you have Time Machine enabled? Do you have an external hard drive to use with that? If not, at the very minimum, copy all the docs you want to keep to a flash drive or DVD.

And seriously, do it ASAP, both the backing up and taking it in, because your warranty is ending soon! You may also want to purchase the extended AppleCare warranty (get it from Amazon.com, but make sure it's sold and shipped by Amazon.com).

hth

12. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

will they also replace my battery if i ask them to? my battery is terrible and with a full charge and with the screen brightness down halfway it dies in less than 2 hours.

13. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I have no idea, but I'm guessing they will not, as batteries are not usually covered by warranties.

14. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

15. umiwangu macrumors 6502

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html.

So you basically have to prove that the battery performance (or lack thereof) is the direct result of a defect. Which it usually isn't.

Example here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=408795