Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timothy Leo Crowley

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
I can't see this as any big loss to Apple. Though to be honest, I'm not very interested in any of these pay "radio" style streaming offerings. I buy the music I want, usually vinyl, if vinyl not available I will buy a digital copy.

Reactions: vista.john

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Good riddance!

Jay-Z is an illuminati loving waste of space,

.. and cloud space

I thought he retired too, with The Black Album?

Maybe his next Tidal release will be- The Black Album 2: Apple Music Edition.

Last edited:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I love how everyone here's assuming that Jay Z was being unreasonable, or an a*****e, or whatever.

Maybe Apple was playing hardball (as they're known to do) and they could not reach a (presumably) fair agreement.

Business is business, folks, and we don't really know why this is happening.

His music is available for those that want to hear it (for the record, I don't, I'm a metalhead).

Whoopteedo if it's not on Apple music.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Seems petty. You'd think he'd want his music to reach as many people as possible, but with Apple being Apple who knows if they pissed him off or what.

Maybe it's Sprint's doing so that they can advertise exclusive artists. Either way it doesn't matter to me because, while I love old school rap, I have zero interest in Jay Z's music.

As far as the other Tidal stakeholders go; if they were to become Tidal exclusive it wouldn't bother me either, as Daft Punk are the only one's in that list I care about and I already own all their records. But that's just me and some of those artists would be dealbreakers for a lot of people I guess.

I know for sure that there's no way I'm going to pay for multiple music streaming services like I do with video.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I love how everyone here's assuming that Jay Z was being unreasonable, or an a*****e, or whatever.

Maybe Apple was playing hardball (as they're known to do) and they could not reach a (presumably) fair agreement.

Business is business, folks, and we don't really know why this is happening.

His music is available for those that want to hear it (for the record, I don't, I'm a metalhead).

Whoopteedo if it's not on Apple music.

people don't really care what the underlying reason is for withdrawing, Jay-Z is trash. No business decision, smart or rash, towards and/or directly from him, can change that (Imo)

I'm embarrassed to have bought several of his albums during my hip-hop obsession phase years ago, in hindsight.

Reactions: 5105973

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Don't let the door hit ya. No one wants your crap tidal service bud, it doesn't even chart in the top streaming services. Pulling your few crap albums isn't going to make a difference ya greedy goon.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Poor guy must be desperate for money, so he needs people to sign on to Tidal.... $1.3billion total household net worth doesn't really go that far these days... and he has a little one on the day forget about it! gofundme coming soon.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The biggest Android fan ever:
-Releases Magna Carta album on Galaxy app, for free to listeners, but for a big backend fee from Samsung,
-Withdraws from Apple Music

He is part of #theresistance !

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
people don't really care what the underlying reason is for withdrawing, Jay-Z is trash. No business decision, smart or rash, towards and/or directly from him, can change that (Imo)

I'm embarrassed to have bought several of his albums during my hip-hop obsession phase years ago, in hindsight.

Hmm, he is widely regarded as one of the greater hip-hop artists in the genre, but whatever.

I don't follow him personally (or any celeb, for that matter), but the issue here is business.

And when it comes to securing content deals recently, Apple has been known to fail (sans Steve) because of their "hardball" policies and requests. Seen plenty of stories on deal discussions breaking down because of it.

But hey, you are entitled to your opinion on a person you don't know personally (or do you? *Rhetorical*).

Reactions: sickoagb

ysr

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
I listen to Jay-Z at least once a week. Doesn't affect me as I own the music. This is the problem with renting music or really, leasing. Once you stop paying or Apple feels like it or the Artist has a conflict of interest, the listener suffers.

IT's still far better to buy the music you love.
Amen to that, never liked streaming music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.