Tiger Install at Apple Store

gdprof27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
68
0
Washington, DC
Hey gang,


Semi-newbie here going into my second week with my 15" PB.

I was wondering; if/when Tiger is released can I go to the local Apple Store, purchae it and have them install it for me?

Is that part of Standard Care or ProCare?
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,167
23
Lincoln,UK
gdprof27 said:
Hey gang,


Semi-newbie here going into my second week with my 15" PB.

I was wondering; if/when Tiger is released can I go to the local Apple Store, purchae it and have them install it for me?

Is that part of Standard Care or ProCare?
no

what if they had to do this for every one ?
 

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
1,331
0
Canada
like you said, you are a bit of a noob, and only have had the honor to have a 15" pb for 2 weeks. I assume that you are a previous windows user, so if you ever installed an operating system on it, then you will be fine.
apple makes it very easy :)
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
If you're really worried, take your Powerbook into the store when you go into to purchase Tiger and install it sitting in the theatre. You'll have something to watch while waiting for the progress bar to move and in the unlikely event of anything going wrong, you'll be very close to a Genius. ;)
 

gdprof27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
68
0
Washington, DC
Just making sure of two things:


1. I am a noob...in every sense of installing an OS on a PC. I've never done it before.

2. I can handle even the littlest moderations to my baby.


It's a common trait, I think, of switchers to not mess with anything until someone else tells 'em it's OK to do that. I am deserving of this baby and intend to make the most out of my purchase!

I'll be back here for answer after answer to what will probably be the most mundane and simplistic Mac questions imaginable. Please keep the giggling to a minimum....I myself had a good chuckle after I hit "submit reply" and looked at what I had just inquired.

Thanks gang for the help! Honestly!
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
it is really rather easy to upgrade your OS, i wouldnt worry about it too much

and this is what we are here for, to re-assure you that everything is okay, just remember that there is a search function ;) :D
 

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,086
0
gdprof27 said:
Just making sure of two things:


1. I am a noob...in every sense of installing an OS on a PC. I've never done it before.

2. I can handle even the littlest moderations to my baby.


It's a common trait, I think, of switchers to not mess with anything until someone else tells 'em it's OK to do that. I am deserving of this baby and intend to make the most out of my purchase!

I'll be back here for answer after answer to what will probably be the most mundane and simplistic Mac questions imaginable. Please keep the giggling to a minimum....I myself had a good chuckle after I hit "submit reply" and looked at what I had just inquired.

Thanks gang for the help! Honestly!
I dont think it a common trait among switchs. It a common trait among none techacal mind people. Windows or mac they dont mess with somethign unless they are told it is ok and safe to do and even then they are pretty leary about it. (which also explains the random tech support I have to do)

As for installing the OS it should be really straight forward. Put in the Tiger cd. I going to assume it will autoplay. click install and follow the very easy instertion. I also suggest you have a good book to read while it is doing it.

I never installed a mac OS but when I have install XP (I think I am up to 6 or 8 times now accross 5 or 6 computers) I am pretty lazy about it. I start the install go off and do something for a while come back tell and tell it to start the next step, go off do something checking in on it every 15 to 20 min to see if I need to start up the next step. That or I just read a book while it was doing it. So for me the install will take any where from 1 to 5 hours depending on how offen I check.

Either way it is pretty easy to do and I would not worry about it. Just make sure you have a good book to read while it is installing because it will take it while to do. I am going to guess bettween 45-90 min to do
 

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
1,778
721
Vulcan
Applespider said:
If you're really worried, take your Powerbook into the store when you go into to purchase Tiger and install it sitting in the theatre. You'll have something to watch while waiting for the progress bar to move and in the unlikely event of anything going wrong, you'll be very close to a Genius. ;)
Just make sure You plug in the AC.
 

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
315
0
They will install it for you, they may charge you for the time, but I'm sure someone can help you get it up and going. There is always phone support as well.
 

gdprof27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
68
0
Washington, DC
Thanks people!

You have put my fears behind me concerning Tiger. Next question:

I have searched the froums on advice on how to find the best deal on the Standard Version of Office 2004. I have come up with so many threads that it became difficult to sort through them all....anyone have some snap-advice on where to go or what to do?
 

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
789
0
I say the cheapest way to get Office for Mac is to find someone that goes to college close to where you live (a friend maybe). Give them to money to buy the software for you using their student discount. I just checked the pricing of my school's computer school. I can buy the full version of Office for Mac for $129.95. Compare that to $250+ at a typical store, that is a good deal.
 

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,086
0
TDM21 said:
I say the cheapest way to get Office for Mac is to find someone that goes to college close to where you live (a friend maybe). Give them to money to buy the software for you using their student discount. I just checked the pricing of my school's computer school. I can buy the full version of Office for Mac for $129.95. Compare that to $250+ at a typical store, that is a good deal.

that is massivly illage and is just the same as downloading it off the net. To do that you are soposed to be a student. Besides I get all MS products free though my school.
 

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,455
0
Timelessblur said:
I also suggest you have a good book to read while it is doing it.

I never installed a mac OS but when I have install XP (I think I am up to 6 or 8 times now accross 5 or 6 computers) I am pretty lazy about it. I start the install go off and do something for a while come back tell and tell it to start the next step, go off do something checking in on it every 15 to 20 min to see if I need to start up the next step. That or I just read a book while it was doing it. So for me the install will take any where from 1 to 5 hours depending on how offen I check.

Just make sure you have a good book to read while it is installing because it will take it while to do. I am going to guess bettween 45-90 min to do
I seem to remember that it only took me 15-20 minutes to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3.

This isn't Windows. :)
 

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,086
0
mac-er said:
I seem to remember that it only took me 15-20 minutes to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3.

This isn't Windows. :)

So you basicly paid for a service pack that now that just sucks and is a rip off because that was how long it took me to go from SP1 to SP2. I was talking about a complete OS replacement. Windows upgrade time I was using was going from pre windows XP or no OS that takes quite a bit of time. Replacing an OS takes a lot longer than a service pack upgrade that 10.2 to 10.3 was.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
twoodcc said:
i thought going from 10.2 to 10.3 was like installing a new OS, right? just like we'll be going from 10.3 (panther) to 10.4 (tiger)
Tiger won't be a new OS. It is still Mac OS X. What Apple will be selling is an upgrade to X. A new OS occurred when we went from Mac OS 9 to X.
 

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,455
0
Timelessblur said:
So you basicly paid for a service pack that now that just sucks and is a rip off because that was how long it took me to go from SP1 to SP2. I was talking about a complete OS replacement. Windows upgrade time I was using was going from pre windows XP or no OS that takes quite a bit of time. Replacing an OS takes a lot longer than a service pack upgrade that 10.2 to 10.3 was.
No, going from 10.2 to 10.3 was just like going from 10.3 to 10.4 (like the above poster said).

Mac OS install times are A LOT shorter than Windows.

I even did a clean install from my restore CDs, and it only took about 30 minutes (and that included installing the applications)
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
@ wdlove

That's like saying going from Mandrake Linux to Debian Linux isn't a new OS just because they are still GNU/Linux. Come on - the update from 10.3 to 10.4 is a new OS, everything is completely different from the ground up! 10.3 to 10.4 is definitely NOT a service pack upgrade, unless going from 2000 to XP is a service pack?
 

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
938
0
Seattle
risc said:
That's like saying going from Mandrake Linux to Debian Linux isn't a new OS just because they are still GNU/Linux. Come on - the update from 10.3 to 10.4 is a new OS, everything is completely different from the ground up! 10.3 to 10.4 is definitely NOT a service pack upgrade, unless going from 2000 to XP is a service pack?
10.3 to 10.4 isn't "completely different from the ground up". There a just a lot of new technologies that have been built on top of 10.3. To rewrite every OS upgrade would take an ungodly amount of time... and probably create A LOT of new bugs to deal with. I won't agree with you that this is a completely new OS, based on my previous note. I will, however, agree with you that this isn't a service pack upgrade. Windows SP's seem to have a very "security super duper mega to the max" feel, while Apple's 10.3 and 10.4 upgrades have been extremely featureful in comparison (I'm not arguing lack of security updates within the upgrades; that's a given). Apple's upgrades do change a fair amount of the technology in the OS but I don't think it warrants this "new OS" tag.
 

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
4,239
76
Massachusetts
wdlove said:
Tiger won't be a new OS. It is still Mac OS X. What Apple will be selling is an upgrade to X. A new OS occurred when we went from Mac OS 9 to X.
Even when upgrading my G3 to OS X, it didn't take all that long... :)
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,106
73
Solon, OH
You might be surprised at just how quickly Mac OS X can install itself. I do my installations without all the cruft I'll never use (IE for Mac, for example) and without stuff that I have a newer version of (Stuffit Expander is the best example I can think of). If I skip the "checking installation disc" step, it installs in about 6 minutes. 2 minutes later, it finishes rebooting (it'll reboot itself after installing if you don't do anything) and starts the intro movie and setup screens.
 

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
6,349
3,211
Florida Resident
I believe Tiger will come on a DVD installation disk but I am not 100% sure. If that is the case, the install will be quick and painless since you don't have to wait for your Mac to insert a disk every 10 minutes or so.

I am doing a clean install after my backup. I'll use the DVD that came with my Mac to install all the extra stuff after I install Tiger. Installing it at the store would be cool. If you had any problems, even normal Mac people could probably help. Get a couple of people with iBooks and Powerbooks and you can have a Tiger install party.

By the way, it probably makes sense to use A/C power to install Tiger and let it have time to build the index for Spotlight. I wonder how long the index will take with no files other than Tiger.
 

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
4,003
101
Phoenix, AZ
Timelessblur said:
that is massivly illage and is just the same as downloading it off the net. To do that you are soposed to be a student. Besides I get all MS products free though my school.
Um....what? English class not a required course?
Yeah, hey, it's great you get free stuff, but how does that help him?
To be honest, the Office Student Teacher Edition does not require ID, even at a retail store, so why not try it? This is one of the few if not only academic packages that are priced for students but are offered outside of campuses.

I really doubt you will find the standard edition anywhere cheaply, unless you get a used version or find a good sale.
 

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
378
0
MO
so while we are on the topic, what is the best way to install tiger? a clean install, an archive and install, or upgrade?

ive pretty much decided im not doing the upgrade, so that leaves a clean install or archive and install. what benefit does an archive and install have over a clean install?

i did a clean install a while ago. i backed most everything up, but lost my bookmarks in safari and maybe a couple other minor things, nothing major. the reason why is that i wanted to clean install but only had a limited amount of back up space so i picked stuff out of my home folder to back up and left some stuff out. if i had done the entire home folder would that have fixed the problem?