Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Maedus said:
I'm never did learn what Windows 98 SE really did have over Windows 98, but if that is the only feature they looked forward too or could remember, then only looking forward to Dashboard or XCode or whatever part of the new OS that an individual likes isn't so pathetic then.

Just to shortly answer your question: Windows 98 SE was basically a Service Pack that fixed a few things and made the system Y2K compatible. It wasn't called Windows 98 SP1 because SPs were for professional editions of Windows (aka NT 4.0 at the time only). It also shipped with new versions of IE and WMP. Since all those new features were available for the original Windows 98 as well, no one in their right mind payed for the upgrade.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
nuckinfutz said:
I can easily search and eradicate duplicate files.

Even if I never used Spotlight for anything else beyond that feature, it will make Tiger worth it. But it sounds like Spotlight will allow me to take the 7 or 8 copies of my internal hard drive that I have archived on my external (yes, I have a small internal hard drive) before several dumb things I've done with Mac OS X installs or reinstalls or upgrades, and allow me to finally organize all the duplicates into one, complete and concise location instead of having ghost hard drives scattered through my external.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
Zaty said:
Just to shortly answer your question: Windows 98 SE was basically a Service Pack that fixed a few things and made the system Y2K compatible. It wasn't called Windows 98 SP1 because SPs were for professional editions of Windows (aka NT 4.0 at the time only). It also shipped with new versions of IE and WMP. Since all those new features were available for the original Windows 98 as well, no one in their right mind payed for the upgrade.

Haha, sweet. I wasn't expecting an answer to that, but it was good to hear one. Thanks. Haha, now I wonder how many people were not in their right mind and did pay for the upgrade. And you don't have to answer that one, Zaty. ;) :p

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
savar said:
But you are a lone voice here and that makes your post nothing more than a troll.

Gah. Not going with the herd mentality is being a troll? That's absolutely ridiculous. Honestly, this is about the only thing that bugs me about this community. There seem to be a few people like this who believe that if you don't absolutely praise Apple and if you aren't totally enthusiastic about new products, you must be a troll. What a bunch of hogwash. I've seen a few of these people on this thread.

The person who started this thread had some valid points. It was meant as a starting point for discussion, yet several people jumped all over him labeling him a "troll", "idiot", calling him "wrong", etc. How can someone be wrong in a matter of opinion? He doesn't feel like many of the new features will be useful to him, how can that be wrong? I know this is a site for Mac fans, but sometimes it still boggles my mind to see the amount of over-the-top fanboyism that creeps in here from time to time. :eek:

Newsflash: sometimes people have different opinions that are perfectly valid. Maybe they don't have all the information (doesn't mean they're an idiot or troll, just less informed), maybe they haven't seen the light, and or maybe -- just maybe -- their needs and desires in computing are different from yours. I'm sure there are legions of people for whom most of the new features in Tiger will not be very useful. Some of them simply won't change their work habits to take advantage of new features. Others simply won't need them.

For example, I think Automator looks pretty cool, but I just can't see myself using it for much, if anything at all. I'm an old Unix guy, and when I need to automate things, I'm much more comfortable with the control I get under the hood. Maybe it'll have something new that I'll use, but my guess is not.

I'm very much looking forward to Tiger, but I saw the original post (and those of most doubters) as valid. If you disagree, don't call them names like an immature kid, initiate a discussion describing your point of view and try to understand where the other person is coming from. Doing so sure makes this place a lot more fun and interesting to be around. :D

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
bankshot said:
I'm very much looking forward to Tiger, but I saw the original post (and those of most doubters) as valid. If you disagree, don't call them names like an immature kid, initiate a discussion describing your point of view and try to understand where the other person is coming from. Doing so sure makes this place a lot more fun and interesting to be around. :D

I agree, bankshot, but I just want to point out that most of the people in this forum have been great people and for the most part, this thread has been a polite and intelligent debate about Tiger that has been useful in helping point out some of the benefits of Tiger that are not obvious or promoted. I just wanted to congratulate those of us who have been great posters and have made this thread and this forum worthwhile so that they're not overshadowed by a few bad apples. Hehe, apples. My puns suck. :p

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
daveL said:
Nice post, Nuck.

P.S. It finally dawned on me a few weeks back what your user name "means".

He he he... makes me remind me of calling his name the funniest over at Macrumors a couple of months ago :D

BTW.. how a seemingly trolly-started thread turns out to be one of the best Tiger discussions thread.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
daveL said:
Nice post, Nuck.

P.S. It finally dawned on me a few weeks back what your user name "means".

hehehehe. I've heard that before. I'm glad this thread is back on target. I apologize to John Nowak for my pissy attitude.

The person who started this thread had some valid points. It was meant as a starting point for discussion, yet several people jumped all over him labeling him a "troll", "idiot", calling him "wrong", etc. How can someone be wrong in a matter of opinion?

It's not his opinion that peopel were upset or disagreed with. It was perhaps his lack of information regarding why he feels the way he does. Keep in mind it seems that everyone who doesn't feel like Tiger is "the bees knees" laces their op with such negativity it's hard to believe they went in with an open mind.

Yes we've had search before in previous OS. Today's search is better.

Yes we've had Sherlock or "web based apps" Dashboard is better

Yes we've had Applescript....Automator is better.

Tiger isn't amazing because it brings forth new "never before seen" technology. Tiger is amazing because it brings together these technolgies that we've seen before in a way that will increase the odds that people use them in large numbers and continue to use them. That's what computing is all about really. Taking rather mundane stuff and making it all work.

Johnnowak had good points and frankly we won't know how many of those points Apple addressed until Tiger ships. I welcome Apple improving my user experience whenever they can.

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
Just wanted to say a few things.

I currently have around 350,000 files on my computer. Spotlight, for me, is a God send. No matter how hard you try to keep everything organized, at some point it just gets tough. The thing about searching now is that you have a small number of factors you can search for - file name, type, things like that. With Spotlight, your options are at least doubled. If you have files with decent metadata, you can then get yourself to a point where it becomes near impossible to not find a file. (I know, you'll still be able to do so, especially if you files DON'T have decent metadata.)

Dashboard isn't groundbreaking, but it will be nice. I talk to my girlfriend in Japan using iChat's voice chat, and I often find myself needing to look up a word in Japanese, or using an app to change numbers to or from Metric. Having both of those options at the push of one button will be nice, and will allow me to not have to keep opening up those seperate apps. (I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to keep a lot of things running all at once.)

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Well now I know

Will run on a G3 - Great!
3 Gb HD- Ouch (a bit) But no more that 10.3 currently uses (will have to somehow delete 10.3 while installing 10.4!) Don't have 3 Gb left!
256MB RAM - getting close, but hopefully 384 OK!?
No iChat AV for me though - no biggie, don't use it!
Fingers crossed, and it'll work.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I'll join in with the guy who's not excited. I'm looking through the features..and Spotlight and Dashboard seem to be the big new programs in Tiger. I've been using launchdock and the widget thing has already been done. Where is the innovation? But i'll upgrade just to have the latest OS, just in case apple decides not to support Panther.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Where?

GodBless said:
Yes speed will be enhanced by far with Tiger. On average I've heard that just about everything is twice as fast with G4 systems which ARE NOT 64bit processors. Considering this and that Apple supports older machines, don't doubt that Tiger will be twice as fast on your system. It is twice as fast for G4 systems so why not even faster on yours. I heard that the slower the machine the more you would notice the speed improvements. Would you want to make your system faster for $129 or do you want to spend more and get a new computer? Don't complain because Tiger will be a good deal. This type of complaint is unreasonable! Yes, saying you know something although you are ignorant about it a form of stupidity in my book. And as you pointed out before I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Where is the data that proves this?

Barham

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
For me it boils down to this:

Major OpenGL performance increase at launch. Incremental additions with point releases. I'm the rare breed (that seems to be more common these days) Mac gamer. Mostly just WoW, but any significant boost or progress is worth the $70 (ed discount).

Quicktime 7. HD video that is truly scalable? Count me in!

Safari. I love the browser (and I've used Firefox), any performance boost (especially in the realm of 50%) is worth it for me.

-Hasta

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Barham said:
Quicktime 7. HD video that is truly scalable? Count me in!

Just to say, Quicktime 7 is not a new feature exclusive to Tiger. Apple are being misleading here, as it's taking up a prominent part of the Tiger page, but Quicktime 7 will come for some lower versions of OS X as well as Windows.

ken801

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
Problems with Tiger (in a) Spotlight

I've been working with Tiger, and don't get the point of Spotlight. Sure, it's handy to have it right up in your menubar to click on from anywhere. But once you do find a file you need, YOU CAN"T DRAG AND DROP IT! You can double-click it, but what if you just want it on the desktop for later, or want it in iTunes to follow the song that's playing? No DRAG AND DROP is ridiculous.
As for Finder, when I just click on my Firewire drive, it crashes the OS. Black screen, every time.

Ken

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
ken801 said:
I've been working with Tiger, and don't get the point of Spotlight. Sure, it's handy to have it right up in your menubar to click on from anywhere. But once you do find a file you need, YOU CAN"T DRAG AND DROP IT! You can double-click it, but what if you just want it on the desktop for later, or want it in iTunes to follow the song that's playing? No DRAG AND DROP is ridiculous.
As for Finder, when I just click on my Firewire drive, it crashes the OS. Black screen, every time.

Ken

Ken I would start a separate thread for your topic. You sound like you have a Firewire drive, firewire cable, or power manager issue that is causing your screen to go black.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/69/

Someone who has a release version of Tiger should be able to help you by April 29th when more people have it in hand.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
thequicksilver said:
Just to say, Quicktime 7 is not a new feature exclusive to Tiger. Apple are being misleading here, as it's taking up a prominent part of the Tiger page, but Quicktime 7 will come for some lower versions of OS X as well as Windows.
And when will that be? I doubt it will be any time soon.

reidab

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2003
Oregon
Spotlight may be similar to quicksilver for some... but I think I'll use them for entirely different things. Spotlight supports all of the IPTC annotations on photos and as someone who has carefully annotated my library of 10k+ digital photos, I see spotlight as being worth the price of tiger simply for the quick, integrated, image searching alone.

Even with tiger, I'll probably still use quicksilver for launching and all of the other things that it's good at, but ooohhh, fast image searching, come to me.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
ken801 said:

Ken

I don't know what build you have... but if it's not at least build 8A425, your stability statements don't count...

And yes, you can drag and drop, just hit "Show All" then you can drag to your heart's content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.