Tiger to Snow Leopard=Not much change

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rxl125, Aug 30, 2009.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

Did I waste $29? What did I gain? Time Machine? Preview of icons? Pretty name and package doesn't mean it's quality. I like apple stuff, but this seems like a money grab.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol this is funny sir

you know....theres no change from jaguar to snow leopard! they both have a dock!

but seriously

no one developes with tiger in mind anymore. that alone should justify the cost

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't know you got Exchange support. Massive performance increases. Or are we only talking about looks and apps?

4. ameeps macrumors member

Haha, funniest thing i've seen all day. I think maybe you should have your eyes checked :confused:

5. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

the massive performance thing is bunk... Apperture is slower... Much slower.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At least it wasn't as bad as the upgrade from Tiger to Leopard for $129.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Tiger is dead. Let it go already. If you hadn't, eventually you'd reach a point where there wouldn't be any software that works on it anyway.

And hell, it's only $30. I spent $130 for Leopard and another $30 for Snow Leopard. I think you got a lot more than you bargained for.

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

You will continue to receive security updates. Tiger will no longer be supported by Apple :mad:

Other than this - I don't know. I have not made the move to SL yet...

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you don't think just Time Machine is worth $29, may I suggest you try frying your hard drive. Then come back and tell us it isn't worth it.

You might also want to try living in the Windows world. XP Home was the last version of Windows to not set you back more than $100. It was also stripped of a lot of features I used on XP Pro. Apple's $129 for Leopard was a steal. The $29 for Snow Leopard (it's $25 at Amazon) is even more ridiculous unless it totally renders my computer worthless.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's not enough that the OP violated the EULA and went for the $29 route and not the Mac boxed set, now he's doing what other people are doing and I'm starting to get the feeling that these threads are created on purpose just to steer up annoyance on the forum. :rolleyes: Tiger to Leopard was big, especially in UI changes and features, how can Tiger to Snow Leopard not be much at all? I guess tomorrow we'll see another one of these "Snow Leopard, is that it"? Threads.

12. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Money grab nonsense...

Did Apple FORCE you by grabbing you by the neck, and dragging you to the Online Store or the Retail Store and forcing you to hand over your money?

If they did, then YES, it's a money grab.

Otherwise, YOU chose to pay, and you chose to upgrade.

Some people, need to get a reality check.

13. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I am sorry, but anyone that says:

Tiger to Snow Leopard=Not much change

Doesn't have an opinion with any credibility whatsoever.

S-

14. ComicStix macrumors member

Are you blind!!! I just upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard and that was a boat load of upgrades! I was even really happy with that SEXY new dock. Expose was crazy! I could finally use screenflow! Be thankful some people would be thankful to have your Snow Leopard upgrade. I.E African people who don't even have computers? The :apple: is angry!

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Even if you truly feel this way, you've never wasted $29 on lesser, more ephemeral things like ball game that turned out to be a snoozer, a date movie that sucked (both), or maybe drinks at a bar that were more watered down than Gatorade?

C'mon it was $29. Most shareware cost more than that. If you can't fine one or two cool features in 10.5/10.6 you are not looking too hard.

16. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Aperture... Version 1?

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I have to agree. While there's no real "WOW!!" about Snow Leopard, everybody who is complaining about being robbed of $29 has blown that much money or more on absolutely ridiculous things (read: women, liquor, gambling, etc.). You willingly parted with the money, now get over it. Next week you'll waste money on something else. Such is life.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

OP: You were supposed to do one of the following:

Buy Leopard for $129, then upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29

...or

Buy the Box Set for $159

Leopard was a lot better than Tiger (in my opinion) and Snow Leopard is even better than Leopard. I'm perfectly happy with the upgrade (which is weird because I usually complain about new upgrades). This definitely does not feel like a .0 upgrade to me. Perhaps I got lucky, but I'm quite happy with it.

I think it's crappy that you cheated Apple.

19. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

this isnt smart.

20. crobbins macrumors 6502

Work with Snow Leopard for a month or two then go back to Tiger..you'll see some of the new handy, little features you don't really think about. Trust me. When Leopard came out, I felt like I "missed" Tiger and wondered if I wasted my money. When I went to use it on another machine, it was not a fun experience.

21. helix21 macrumors regular

Funniest thing I have read all day. Disregard all the leopard changes?
    Tiger to leopard was a MASSIVE improvement and your saying tiger to snow leopard is not substantial?

BTW, you broke the EULA by spending $29

22. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Well, it's still OS X. I mean what were you expecting?:confused:

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Same thing happens to me with every OS upgrade. When I first install it... I usually HATE the changes Apple makes and I wonder why they do such stupid things... then I get used to the changes in a few months and actually start to prefer the new changes. Then, I can't imagine going back to the old days (that I used to like) because now I like the new days even more. Does that make any sense?

However, I think Snow Leopard might be Apple's best OS upgrade ever! I'm thankful they didn't add a bunch of new features and instead worked on making it fast and stable.

24. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

I saw a huge benefit from Tiger->Leopard, so I can't believe you don't see a benefit from Tiger->Snow Leopard. I used Tiger on my MacBook until a couple of months ago when I upgraded to Leopard (by way of a new MacBook Pro), and Leopard fixed pretty much every major annoyance I had about OS X as a converted Windows user. I haven't had to resort to restoring files form Time Machine yet, but knowing that I'm protected is a nice feeling.

Snow Leopard didn't fix any annoyance save for perhaps faster drive ejection (my firewire drive took what felt like ages to eject under Leopard), but the increased speed and polish was more than worth the $49 I paid for the family pack.

If you don't see any benefit from Tiger->Snow Leopard, you aren't paying attention.

25. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Na the OP is definitely right, we still have aqua toolbars.. for 25quid I wanted carbon ones...