Tiger uptime thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So hopefully this is okay, since I haven't seen a thread specifically devoted to it. Anyone have a particularly long Tiger uptime?

Preferably on GM / 10.4.0 or later (not a beta), and as reported by the uptime command. Not a competition, just curious if anyone has a really long uptime, like ever since the 29th. :D

My longest is right at the moment:

22:43 up 6 days, 5:47, 2 users, load averages: 0.44 0.56 0.55

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Blackheart said:
This screenshot was taken just before I upgraded to Tiger.
Nice! :) How did you get an uptime of 122 days? What version of Panther were you on? 10.3.7?

And more importantly, how've you done since the 4th? :D

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Nice! So you're one of the luckiest no crashes no locks with Tiger gang! :) I just want to see how many there are!
I also didn't have any crashes yet with Tiger, but I'm still installing applications / updates after the clean install that require a restart.
I also don't feel comfortable leaving my PB on for that long. Like I said somewhere else, it must be an old windows habit. Over time I hope to get used to not having to restart my machine every once in a while (used to be everyday on my PC.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
TreeHugger said:
I also don't feel comfortable leaving my PB on for that long. Like I said somewhere else, it must be an old windows habit. Over time I hope to get used to not having to restart my machine every once in a while (used to be everyday on my PC.)
I hope you do! Sleep/wake is *the* way to go.... :)

Daveway, 17 days is impressive. That's basically from the fateful Friday till 10.4.1 came out, right? :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
swiftaw said:
Does anyone know why uptime reports 2 users even if you only have 1 user account set up?
I think it's cuz root owns tasks that are running. It's probably an oooollllddd FAQ but I don't know the answer for sure either. :D

Although the running coregraphics process is owned by the windowserver, which is distinct from both root and the user, and it doesn't seem to count. :confused: And users doesn't report root.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
mkrishnan said:
I think it's cuz root owns tasks that are running. It's probably an oooollllddd FAQ but I don't know the answer for sure either. :D

Although the running coregraphics process is owned by the windowserver, which is distinct from both root and the user, and it doesn't seem to count. :confused: And users doesn't report root.
I think the other user was "console". Remember reading it a long long long time ago. Makes sense, what with Console.app and all.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
mkrishnan said:
Nice! :) How did you get an uptime of 122 days? What version of Panther were you on? 10.3.7?

And more importantly, how've you done since the 4th? :D
Yeah, I stayed on 10.3.7 in an effort to prolong my uptime :D . I don't have great uptime for Tiger because of the newest patch and such... it's easier to live without a .8 or .9 patch, but living with a .0 is a bit rough. :p

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
swiftaw said:
Does anyone know why uptime reports 2 users even if you only have 1 user account set up?
It is because you are logged in twice. I'm sure now you're thinking, "What?!?! this guy is crazy..." But I tell you I am not. To see who is logged in, simply type "who" into the terminal.

(Hint: the reason why you're logged in twice is one for the gui, one for the terminal. Open a 2nd terminal window and you'll see 3 users)

Oh, and my uptime is: 1 day, 12:06. Not very impressive... but that's how long it's been since I installed 10.4.1. My Linux server on the other hand has been up 260 days, 11:18.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Does your uptime get reset when you put your computer to sleep or log out?
I rarely switch my powerbook off but I do log out when I leave the house.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
My uptime never reaches past 24 hours since I'm constantly booting between Panther and Tiger.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
London
I was at over 19 days (in Tiger) before 10.4.1 and some new RAM arrived. I try not to reboot unless I really have to (I just sleep the PowerBook). I'm not sure what uptime my Mini is at. It's not on Tiger yet and has not been rebooted since 10.3.9 I don't think...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wrc fan said:
(Hint: the reason why you're logged in twice is one for the gui, one for the terminal. Open a 2nd terminal window and you'll see 3 users)
Ahhhh, nice call! I guess users didn't pick that up because it doesn't repeat list someone for multiple locations like who does. That makes much more sense now.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've got 2 days, 20:51 of uptime since installing 10.4.1 - thanks go to the ShowOff widget. I've never had more than 30 days of uptime since, by then, I usually have to restart for some reason (software update, severe thunderstorm, power failure, network problems - never a kernel panic, though; it's been 467 days and counting since my last KP).

Status
Not open for further replies.