Tim Burton's Trippy New Alice in Wonderland

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by redking31591, Jun 21, 2009.

1. redking31591 macrumors 6502

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh wow! This is the first I've heard of it and I'm pretty excited to see it. I LOVE Alice in Wonderland and Tim Burton's take on it is bound to be intriguing.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This looks very interesting. I'm excited to see what they do with all the other characters. :)

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Have you ever gone down the rabbit hole and things didn't look "weird"? If so, you got ripped off... ;)

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Good news… I hope they do it justice and not just play it for weird laughs.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I know. :eek:

It has such potential, I hope they don't screw it up.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Very cool. But March 2010 is a long time to wait. :(

8. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Wow, that looks awesome.

But it will totally mess with my mind, by the looks of it.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As we know- Tim Burton has a long track record screwing things up. If they get good writers and keep him away from the script, it might work. But quite honestly, the odds aren't great. There are more bad Tim Burton movies than good. Sweeney Todd was the first one I've liked in a very long time. And I will never forgive him for screwing up Willy Wonka.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think that visually, Tim Burton's movies are fantastic. They're also a similar style, which is unsurprising, since it's his signature. You know a Tim Burton film when you see one. That's fine, but then there are the movies themselves, which are rarely good. So Tim Burton's movies look good, but unfortunately, the quality of his films don't really match up to the visuals.

Since they did admit to changing the story, I hope its only the beginning of the story that's affected rather than the entire plot. :eek:

P.S.: This is one of my favourite stories ever. When I think about originality and storytelling in children's fiction, Alice in Wonderland has always been one of my examples of both a fantastic story, and a cartoon that really takes people to another world. I hope Burton doesn't screw this up. :(

11. bartelby macrumors Core

I can't wait for this. I love Burton films, even the flawed ones...

12. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Can't wait for it...thanks for posting that!

Cheers.

-J.-

13. milo macrumors 604

That's odd. His Wonka was actually way closer to the book than the earlier movie was.

I'd say his Planet of the Apes didn't work, but mostly films that were pretty respectful to the source material and generally did well. Look at the original Batman, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish (from a book) and Sweeney Todd. And most of his other films are original ideas.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/tim_burton/

14. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. The author of Willy Wonka hated the original musical so much he refused to attend the premiere and refused to license the sequel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator for fear they would screw it up to. Charlie and the Chocolate factory was a very dark and satirical book not bright and happy as the original movie made it. With the new Charlie and the Chocolate factory I think burton brought the story back to its origins. Alice in Wonderland also was a very dark and satirical book. It, if I recall correctly, has had parallels drawn between it and and acid trip. I think from these pictures Burton has captured this perfectly in these pictures and hopefully in the whole movies. The stories and movies you saw as a child are not always quite what they seem to be about. Little Red Riding Hood is actually about a sexual predator who is chasing after a little girl to rape her. The "wolf" dosn't really eat the grandmother but really rapes her. Go back and read and you will find many similar cases with all of our society's "children stories". Find out more buy reading about the brothers grimm and their real goal and how they changed the stories sometimes for children.

15. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

The thing about his Willy Wonka was that Wonka was characterised in a completely different way to the first film. He's full of make-up and goggles and I certainly wouldn't let him near my kids. Gene Wilder's Wonka was thoughtful and quietly amused. He also didn't have that atrocious accent. He was such an odd mixture you could never quite be sure what he was up to and how much he knew. Because of that, you feel like children and he's your grandpa warning you not to eat the soil. He probably knows you'll spit it out or barf, but he doesn't let on. He lets you learn for yourself. I loved that film . Back when I was little, I knew most of the words and songs.

Roald Dahl. Most of his stuff is quite dark. Ever read George's Marvellous Medicine? It's about a kid who tries to kill his grandma. Still, he's an absolute legend and every British child reads his books growing up.

16. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I've read it. It has always been one of my favorites.

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well, I'm a Burton fan. Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Nightmare Before Christmas, Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were all visually stunning.

This looks great, and it's interesting he's teaming up with Disney again considering the drama over both The Black Cauldron and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It reminds me of the Alice PC game, which I liked for it's strange re-interpretation. I generally like weird re-interpretation of famous stories, such as Tin Man, and also the Wicked book and the Broadway show it inspired.

Come to think of it, the Disney version of Alice is a re-interpretation too, just one that a lot of people are used to. Disney didn't invent Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, Pinnochio, The Little Mermaid, or a lot of characters they ended up making famous versions of. These stories from long ago belong to all of us, and it's fun when somebody puts their own spin on it.

19. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Burton was definitely a good choice for this movie!!

20. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yeah, I've still got American McGee's Alice lying around somewhere. It was lots of fun. (Your link isn't working, but I'm guessing that's the one.)

Has anyone seen Jan Svankmajer's Alice? Now that's a great interpretation.

21. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Willy Wonka is in essence a psychotic narcissistic sosiopath with abandonment issues and too much money. That's the way Dahl wrote him, that's the way Burton/Depp portrayed him.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So you didn't read the book did you?

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I read the book countless times as a kid, but I'll confess that I haven't read it in recent years. The abandonment issue-thing was a bit thin, though. Not quite sure what I meant about that.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That bit with him being abandoned by his father was added by Burton and not part of the book, IIRC.

25. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Yes, I just remembered. There was nothing about Wonka's parents any of the books. My bad. :)