Tim cook and iPhone 5 - no leaks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bulldoze, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bulldoze macrumors regular

Well so far there has been pretty much no leaks about the forthcoming iPhone and it makes the Oct 4th announcement so much more interesting.

Is this an early indication of how Tim Cook is going to run Apple? I find it very impressive that he has managed to plug all the leaks - I would not have thought it possible to be honest but unless anything appears in the next few days then the guy has started on a roll - lets see if he can keep it going and present an awesome product and find his own kind of way to present it.

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's too soon to judge Cook. Although he is the CEO, the puppet master is still in control.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Well Cook was head for the whole selling and retail of everything Apple so he does know how to run things. He's not a random person that became CEO so that may be the reason why there were no leaks.

But, then again, it's highly likely that the new iPhone was already in production before he became CEO.

4. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

This is what I'm afraid of. If all they're releasing is a spec bumped iPhone 4, they could be floating all over the place and we wouldn't notice. So much for a year and a half development.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Spec bumps can be no small feat of engineering...

7. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

I think Cook has been running things for quite a while now in reality; his performance on Oct 4th is what people will judge him by I feel - I don't think that's particularly fair but there you go.

Maybe he is not that kind of CEO and will make a brief intro and then let the dept heads show their stuff?

8. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

If the iPhone 5 truly is just a spec bump, I think this may be the first iPhone to not smash in sales. Not many people want a 3.5" screen anymore...

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

As much as we all may think that to be true, it's not. Remember the 3GS? Remember the fact that the i4 is still selling like hot cakes? The average consumer could care less about a slightly larger screen. Most want an iPhone, just so they can say they have an iPhone. We are the minority.

10. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

you mean "COULDN'T care less"? ;)

11. TWD98j macrumors regular

Even though Cook may only officially be CEO as of a month ago, in reality he's been acting as such for much, much longer since Jobs took leave. That said, even though he may be CEO, I'm pretty sure that Jobs is still the mastermind in control of all things iPhone.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

True, But the exterior has already been engineered and they have all the data that goes along with it. Now it's a matter of making everything fit and making sure heat dissapates correctly. Still a feat none the less, but less then if it was a total new design where there really is no long term data.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yes, But the only thing is if they leave the iP4 as the lower price point, and your assesment of the "average consumer" is correct, heres what happens...Average Joe walks up to the iPhone display and sees an iPhone 4 for $99 (or less). And right next to it the BRAND NEW iPhone 5 for $199 that looks identical to it. He sees something about RAM and A5 and has no clue. He turns them both on and see's that just about everything is exactly the same. If your theory is correct, the average consumer who wants an iPhone, just to have an iPhone is going to pick the cheaper one 9 out of 10 times. The minority (us) will be split. Some will get, some won't. And if speech recognition is going to be the big surprise, you can count me out. I'll upgrade to iOS 5 on my iP4 & iPad2 and wait until next year with no hard feelings. Especially if I can't tell who's got a 4 or a 5 when I'm out in the wild.

Rest assured that we will see a completely redesigned 5. I just can't wait to see it!!

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This is what I'm afraid of.

Steve Jobs: "Oh crap, we're not going to be able to make an iPhone 5 that lives up to the hype, I'm outta here; Cook, take the wheel!"

I know that Apple doesn't want to leak the design like last time, but seriously, they need to leak something or else we have nothing at all to base rumors off of, which means discussions aren't exciting, which means many people aren't as excited for the announcement as would be if they'd leak anything worth speculating about.

Did what I just type make sense?

15. dewthedru macrumors regular

thank you! i'm glad i'm not the only one that is bugged by that.

16. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not at all...the less leaks the more excitement, that's just obvious. Why would you get excited about something you know about already? The excitement comes from all the hype and anticipation of a completely new, amazing, highly secretive device that no one knows about until they announce it. There is far more excitement for this coming keynote.

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That is a bunch of bananas. Plenty of people want a 3.5' screen. The iPhone 4 and 3GS are the best selling model of phone and in tech time they are ancient.

These forums do not represent the average consumer and just because the Android manufacturers are pushing monster screens that doe not mean that everyone has decided that is what they want.

18. auxsend macrumors regular

I really don't agree. I have a 3gs. It's great. But when I go to the store and see 3 droids with beautiful 4 inch screens, and then I look at even an iPhone 4. Just that alone makes me want the droid.

Where I work we deploy droid phones to employees. While not all of them are great, there are some newer ones that don't have ginormous screens, but have much better and bigger screens then any current iPhone. It can be done in a pleasing way, which makes it still feel nice in your hand.

Just today I was working with an HTC Incredible 2. And if there was an iPhone with a screen that size. That is heaven. Go put your hands on one, and you'll see what I mean.

19. yly3 macrumors 6502

^ better screen resolution ? I doubt, once you go retina you never go back. So far, there isn't even one >4.0" display with HD resolution.

Personally, no retina = no buy.

20. auxsend macrumors regular

It may not be retina, but it's still a joy to look at.

21. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Well that's just not correct at all.

What do you think the 3GS was to the 3G?

Exact same exterior, exact same design. The only differences were inside the phone. Yet, the 3GS sold just fine (and still is selling).

I'm not sure how you could forget that. Something tells me you're going to be disappointed when the announcement comes around.

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

People also forget that Tim Cook was acting as CEO for a while before his official appointment. This isn't changing anything yet except for the changes Apple wants you to see. I think that everything will run along pretty much the same.

It made sense. But I remember before the iPad 2 we didn't get any physical case leaks of it until the night before the announcement when we got a picture if the actual device. I'm hoping we get a small leak before the iPhone 5 announcement as well.

23. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I am not disagreeing that a 4 inch screen would be nice. I personally would like to see a 4 inch screen (no larger though). But the sales numbers don't lie and the two most popular phone models have 3.5 inch screens so obviously most people are not too bothered by it.

24. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

I get the sense that most people who are chiding everyone for expecting a true, re-designed iPhone 5 are iPhone 4 owners who don't want to see a new phone out there that makes their purchase look old.

25. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

iP4 was designed in a little over a year no? So iP5 has had even longer dev/design time.