Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
The huawei watch looks pretty amazing. If they come out the same time, I think apple will have some good competition in smart watches (for once)

By competition, do you mean 5 million Apple Watches vs 50,000 Huawei Watches?

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
By competition, do you mean 5 million Apple Watches vs 50,000 Huawei Watches?

Lol...Yeah I guess it's not really competition. Still, I think I'd pick up the huawei before the apple.

Still on the fence if I even want a smart watch though.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
$349 for the entry level is expensive when you also need a late model iPhone,
I'm sure in the upgrade life cycle they will be aiming to get the price down.

How is an iPhone 5 a late model phone?

----------

The huawei watch looks pretty amazing. If they come out the same time, I think apple will have some good competition in smart watches (for once)

I think it looks better in renders that IRL. But for some, round face is all that matters. And major fail putting white text on top of a clock face with complications. "Ok oogle"??

16506253940_3bfbab4453_c.jpg

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014

----------

I think it looks better in renders that IRL. But for some, round face is all that matters. And major fail putting white text on top of a clock face with complications. "Ok oogle"??

Well great point, didn't even consider that all I've been looking at is renders probably. I'll reserve judgment till I see both in person. Admittedly, I do favor the round face also even though it should be about more than just that

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Lol...Yeah I guess it's not really competition. Still, I think I'd pick up the huawei before the apple.

Still on the fence if I even want a smart watch though.

me too, I'm a watch wearer so it wouldn't be a stretch. The habit of wearing something on my wrist wouldn't change, so it's an easier sell to me.

However, that Huawei looks a lot slicker and i'd pick it up based on looks before the Apple watch.

Last night however is a good reason, while an unusual exception to why the Apple Watch's rumoured battery life is a non starter for me. The town I'm in often gets power failures during extreme weather and last night we had an icestorm roll through. Knocked out power from about 7pm onwards and didn't come back on till I was actually getting read to leave for work.

The Apple watch battery would likely have been long dead by 8:15am this morning. My phone sure as hell was. and guess what, there's my alarms! I still have to get to work on time

fortunately, my watch has an alarm and it worked to keep me awake.

hWhile I know this is an extreme case, it is still yet another example why any smartwatch with < 1 day battery (this applies to android wear and tizen devices too, so not picking on apple here) is just not sufficient. It gives absolutely ZERO leeway in case of extenuating circumstances

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I was talking about other countries as America is not the centre of the universe and is years behind in mobile adoption and use as I stated in my later comment.

your very angry and rude in your reply, and as said, you have made a case study, not facts, and you are utterly wrong with your assumptions for any part of the world outside the US with mobile phone adoption and usage and tech. I have no need to 'edit your story with my brain'.

Whatever you want to state about the American market is for the American market, it has no truth for other markets at all.

You are depicting a world that exists only in your mind. U.S. weren't the most advanced nation in early adoption of mobile phone technology (but the filled up the gap quite soon), but they weren't so different from other European nations, in 1990_1995.

----------

----------

I'm not sure about Apple watch, but I'm ABSOLUTELY sure I won't but something like that.

kdarling

macrumors P6
And major fail putting white text on top of a clock face with complications. "Ok oogle"??

For anyone coming to this thread late, and who missed the explanation elsewhere, the "Ok Google" prompt only happens until you use it five times.

It's just a reminder to new owners that they can use voice commands whenever the watchface lights up.

But yeah, even for those few times, it should really have been designed with a little background!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.