Tim Cook Calls for US Privacy Law to Protect Citizens From Growing 'Data Industrial Complex'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook has called for a tough new U.S. data protection law to protect user privacy rights in the face of a growing "data industrial complex," in a passionately delivered speech in Europe.

Cook argued for the law during a keynote speech given today at the 40th International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners (ICDPPC), which is being held in Brussels. The following quotes were published by TechCrunch.

[​IMG]
    Image via Getty
    Cook went on to commend the recently enacted European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which places stricter rules on how personal data is handled by businesses and organizations, and argued for a similar law in the U.S. - a call received with applause from the conference audience.
    Cook said a U.S. privacy law should prioritize data minimization, or "the right to have personal data minimized", as well as transparency with regard to what is being collected, the right to access that data, and the right to security, which is "foundational to trust."

In his speech, Cook also drew on Apple's privacy-first approach to artificial intelligence in contrast to other tech giants, and said he felt the technology held great promise to benefit humanity, but warned that "advancing AI by collecting huge personal profiles is laziness, not efficiency."
    In closing, the Apple CEO criticized tech companies who "endorse reform in public and then resist and undermine it behind closed doors." He added: "It's time to face facts. We will never achieve technology's true potential without the full faith and confidence of the people who use it."

Apple's commitment to privacy protection has become one of the company's guiding principles in recent years, as over against the increasingly publicized data mining practices of tech firms like Facebook and Google, whose CEOs are scheduled to appear at the conference later this week.

Earlier this year, for example, Cook argued for stronger data privacy regulations following what he called the "dire" Facebook and Cambridge Analytica scandal, in which data on 50 million Facebook users was amassed without their consent.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Calls for US Privacy Law to Protect Citizens From Growing 'Data Industrial Complex'

2. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Good, I agree. Our privacy needs to be protected. Obviously a great business move by Apple that protects the interests of consumers as well. I’m not sure how this will all play out for companies like Google and Facebook, but they have to be scrambling to rethink their business models for a sustainable future.

3. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Cook puts on a good publicity stunt when it comes to privacy. Looks the other way and coughs when it comes to China.

No threat to profits and good image - a winner.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Ordinarily I’m against big government interference, but given that states such as California are already passing laws, a federal law is probably warranted to avoid a confusing regulatory framework here.

5. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Companies like Google and FB had to know this gravy train would eventually come to an end in one way or another. At best, they get on board and figure out a new plan and forge ahead with they consumers in mind. At worst, they feel the hurt when it does stop and it forces action on their part.

6. -BigMac-, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

-BigMac- macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

Meanwhile accepts $3 Billion every year to have Google, the biggest data miner in the world, as default search engine on all iOS Devices.

7. barmann, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

barmann macrumors 6502a

I hardly ever agree with Tim Cook on anything, but that was well said .

However, Apple is using user data for profit as well , just not as shamelessly as FB, Google etc ., and not as their sole business model .

The writing is on the wall though, with data mining being under scrutiny in Europe and lawmakers finally catching up with the worst offenders , so Apple might try to be on the right side of the issue when the man comes knocking .

8. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And the most downloaded apps on iOS devices come from Google and Facebook.

9. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I think user choice should still be considered.

10. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

I agree with Cook; however it would be nice for him to put his money where his mouth is when it comes to privacy and treatment in China.

11. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

I think Apple should begin building a new HQ in Europe. What cook is dreaming about won’t manifest in the US under trump.

12. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I saw your original post also. Where in regards to China do you feel Apple is violating its users’ privacy?

13. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

That's a pretty disingenuous characterization of what @magicschoolbus stated. I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he meant as well, because you asked your question in a very leading way. No one said Apple was violating it's users privacy. For you to imply it is pretty bad form imo. Cook loves to tout privacy as a fundamental right (I agree with him), yet actively facilitates China's policies of governmental control over privacy rights of Chinese citizens.

I'm on record for being a fan of Cook as a CEO. I'm also on record for not being a fan of his moralizing that happens to have a hard ceiling of "does this affect revenue?" I genuinely think he means what he says. He believes in personal privacy. I also believe he's willing to compromise those beliefs when it comes to acquiescing to China.

14. Jyby macrumors 6502

Did you notice he says “minimize” data collection and not prevent or delete personal data.
    Minimize : just enough data for us to make a great profit...

Also has anyone tried the download your data feature on Apples privacy site? I feel like they have a lot more data about you than they are giving you...

15. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Well I was trying to understand what his point was. The article is about protecting users' privacy. I don't consider adhering to Chinese law a violation of users' privacy. I am assuming you would expect Apple to simply shut down operations in China? In the end, I don't equate the two and was trying to understand the meaning of their post.

16. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I agree 100% with everything Mr. Cook said. Like a previous commenter stated, politically I don’t agree with Mr. Cook very often but this shouldn’t be a political issue at all. Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Green Party, Independent... we should all recognize the threat that mass data collection / surveillance poses to us all both individually and collectively.

Brad Thor’s book “Blacklist” is a work of fiction but it gives a glimpse of the type of threat too much data in the wrong hands can pose not just to a person, group or country but potentially to the entire world.

17. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

Apple needs to encrypt iCloud data with an on device private key then. And not keep a backup on their servers. Whether at rest or not, Apple shouldn't have the ability to unlock it.

Apple: put your money where your mouth is. Please.

18. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

19. joueboy macrumors 65816

He sound like he's trapped into something but he cannot really publicly claim the main culprit for all these sensitive data collection and where it's ended up. Like a hostage crisis just say it Tim, China is hungry for all these information sending students to the US and Europe and mostly all the constant hacking attempts and activities originates from them.

20. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

Oh my god! I have agreed with Tim’s comments three times in less than a week. I’m definitely scheduling an appointment with my doctor...

21. Substance90 macrumors 6502

Not that I don't agree with him but I must say it's easy for him to say these things when Apple sells hardware and not ads.

22. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

CEO wants regulations that devalue the primary revenue source of company's biggest competitors. /s

23. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have to say, I think more of Tim Cook’s defense of our privacy and his promotion of human rights than of his leadership abilities of the World’s largest publicly traded company. He is the type of leader that should be leading our government - not our AAPL. And that’s saying a lot for any human. Tim Cook for President of the USA.

24. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Mr. Cook is totally on target here. However the surveillance capitalism sect (Google, Facebook etc.) make up a bigger lobbying group than Apple (the one big tech company espousing privacy). Absolute surveillance will eventually result in tyranny...you just have to wait for the right government to come into power to start pulling those levers to ensure they never leave office.

The U.S. government needs to write a strong privacy law for its citizens, probably preventing sales of data to 3rd parties etc.. Unfortunately the U.S. federal government (outside of social issues) has been almost totally corrupted by its 50 year experiment with paid lobbying (paid lobbying didn't start in the U.S. until the early 70's for the Republicans and Dems came on board in the later 70's - started by Paul Mannafort & friends, yeah really that guy). Europe is about the only place where privacy still is defended some against corporate interests...the U.S. is pretty much a lost cause, what's right for the citizens is of no concern for the laws created (except for social issues the parties use to lock voters in with). JMHO..

25. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Please stop with the "violation of user privacy". You're the only one to make the claim. You're the only one arguing that point. When Apple removed VPN's from the App Store, they definitely facilitated China's suppression of user privacy.

Why would you assume that I would expect something so dumb and unrealistic? Wouldn't a smarter assumption be that I would expect Cook to be more cognizant of the juxtaposition of his words regarding privacy and his actions in China that don't jibe with those words?