Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook is participating in a "fireside chat" today with Box CEO Aaron Levie at BoxWorks 2015, following Apple's record-breaking iPhone launch weekend.

levie_cook.jpg

Given that this is an enterprise conference, the interview naturally begins with a discussion of Apple's enterprise efforts, although Cook notes that to some degree there is no such thing as an "enterprise phone" any more than there are enterprise cars and that Apple has been quietly numerous phones and tablets to companies.

Cook does, however, highlight some of Apple's enterprise partnerships, including Cisco and Box, emphasizing how transformational mobile is for businesses. Mobility enables significant increases in productivity and gives companies the opportunity to rethink their business processes. But nobody, including Apple, is way out in front on this.

Levie then gives Cook a "layup" question, asking why this sort of transformation can't happen on Android, with Cook responding that users want to use the best hardware with security built in from the start and a unified ecosystem.

Talking about ecosystem growth, Cook talks about how iOS has pulled the Mac along for the benefit of both operating systems, emphasizing the smooth transition between devices enabled by Apple's Continuity features. "We think people want some similarity, but clearly these operating systems are different things. So we have no intention to blend them."

Turning to partnerships, Levie and Cook discuss how Apple is working with former rivals like IBM and Microsoft to deliver better solutions for customers, something that will definitely benefit enterprise. Pointing toward Microsoft's Office demo at Apple's media event earlier this month, Cook notes "Apple and Microsoft can partner on more things than we can compete on. And that's what the customer wants. [...] I'm not a believer in holding grudges."

With Apple's strong financial performance of nearly $200 billion in revenue over the past year, Levie asks why Apple doesn't just "throw down the mic" and declare victory, Cook notes "we haven't started yet," pointing to potential in enterprise, Apple Watch, television, and more.

Building on Apple's new iPhone Upgrade Program, Levie jokes that Apple should create a subscription program where users automatically get a new iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and more every year. Cook gets a laugh out of Levie's proposed pricing of $64/month, but notes how the iPhone Upgrade Program is designed to remove a lot of the friction of the buying process.

Thanks to everyone at #BoxWorks this morning! Picked up some out-of-the-Box ideas from @levie pic.twitter.com/DdvznJOtov - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) September 29, 2015

The conversation then turns to equality and other issues, with Cook noting it's something Apple and its customers care about and it's something Apple is going to "evangelize" about all over the world. "It's shocking to me that we're in 2015 and we're even having this subject." Cook also points to public education and the environment as areas of emphasis.

Moving on to Dr. Dre and Beats, Cook notes he and Dr. Dre haven't talked enterprise issues, but he takes the opportunity to push Apple Music, noting "there's a lot of joy coming out of Apple Music." Levie asks about the possibility of enterprise radio, and he and Cook begin spitballing ideas for a mix of music, talk, and news.

With that, the interview wraps up Cook and Levie leave the stage, kicking off the remainder of the conference.

Article Link: Tim Cook Discusses Apple's Enterprise Efforts at BoxWorks 2015

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I would be interested in the idea of a subscription plan for a new Mac, iPad and iPhone each year. Where do I sign up???

Reactions: nunes013

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
there is no such thing as an "enterprise phone" any more than there are enterprise cars and that Apple has been quietly numerous phones and tablets to companies.
Huh?

With Apple's strong financial performance of nearly $200 billion in revenue over the past year, Levie asks why Apple doesn't just "throw down the mic" and declare victory,
Apple can't declare victory yet, at least not where I work. The IT people there are still solidly Windows (stuck in the past with Windows XP) and the majority of them still hold the opinion that Apple makes overpriced crap that's incompatible with anything but their own products. (Their only concession is that Macs "are good for graphics".) Basically, most of the IT decision makers are living in the 1990s and can't see where technology is going, and don't really care. They're more invested in defending their limited knowledge base. I wish that was a situation that Apple could fix. But I think it's just a matter of waiting until those people retire and new more open-minded IT workers take their place. Until then, it will be a struggle for Apple to make inroads at my institution.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Building on Apple's new iPhone Upgrade Program, Levie jokes that Apple should create a subscription program where users automatically get a new iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and more every year. Cook gets a laugh out of Levie's proposed pricing of $64/month, but notes how the iPhone Upgrade Program is designed to remove a lot of the friction of the buying process.

I could actually see Apple going down this path. We have software as a service, why not hardware as a service?

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I like Tim Cook. He has grown into a more well rounded leader than when he first took over. Perfect...no. But even Steve was not perfect (Lisa, Cube, Newton, etc.). And I really like that at least for now, no plans to merge Mac OS with iOS. Sure, they can borrow from each other but they ultimately serve different purposes.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Because hardware, especially Apple hardware, is difficult to disassemble and utilize again.
Why does it need to be disassembled? I have an iPhone 6 that I'm handing down to someone. It's not going into a landfill somewhere.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Why does it need to be disassembled? I have an iPhone 6 that I'm handing down to someone. It's not going into a landfill somewhere.
It is, eventually, though. I handed my mom my iPhone 4, true. But when you create a hardware service, when you own a Mac for a year to have it replaced by a new model, you don't keep the old Mac, right? You hand it over to Apple. (As I understand the phone exchange program, you return the one year old phone.) What do they do with millions and millions of 2, 3 year old iMacs?

Hagrid

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
New Jersey
Good question. I'm looking for a cloud service where I can use a selective sync with my iWorks docs since iCloud does not do this today.

Good question. Our company uses Box, and I'd like to know if there is something good coming down the road....perhaps a buy of Box :rolleyes:

Reactions: nunes013

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It is, eventually, though. I handed my mom my iPhone 4, true. But when you create a hardware service, when you own a Mac for a year to have it replaced by a new model, you don't keep the old Mac, right? You hand it over to Apple. (As I understand the phone exchange program, you return the one year old phone.) What do they do with millions and millions of 2, 3 year old iMacs?
Why can't they offer them to schools or sell them into emerging markets? I'm sure there's lots of people who don't need/can't afford the latest and greatest. Of course people are more likely to upgrade their phone every year than a Mac or iPad. But man if Apple had a program where you could pick your device(s) to lease (with the option to buy) and included AppleCare in the monthly fee I'd be all over it.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Why can't they offer them to schools or sell them into emerging markets? I'm sure there's lots of people who don't need/can't afford the latest and greatest. Of course people are more likely to upgrade their phone every year than a Mac or iPad. But man if Apple had a program where you could pick your device(s) to lease (with the option to buy) and included AppleCare in the monthly fee I'd be all over it.
OK, you convinced me. (No sarcasm.) I would really quite enjoy that. Wonder what the fee would be though.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Off topic, but finally an Apple CEO or board member that dresses properly. It's about time they ditch the sneakers and untucked shirt style. And now please get off my lawn.
Maybe you should visit the Silicon Valley someday before your demise. Most everyone dresses with sneakers and jeans. This goes for Ebay, Google and other tech companies there. Being so dapper and proper is boring. What's more important is the product, not how GQ the CEO looks.

Reactions: SusanK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.