Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
He is apparently good for Apple at the moment, but definitely bad for Apple pro customers which in the near future will make him bad for Apple in general.

I'm not sure why Apple's "pro" users persist in the belief that the company depends upon them. Yeah, there's that whole, "What the pros use" thing, which companies like Nikon and Canon have played since the beginning. It's sold a lot of P&S cameras as well as enormous amounts of pro cameras to amateurs. And it works so long as you stay in the same line of business.

There were times that "what the pros use" was incredibly important to Apple, too, but that's when there was just one product, Mac. And it only worked for certain kinds of pros - mostly, in the media. The rest of the "pros" have been in the IBM PC camp since the beginning, because it was International Business Machines, baby. Talk about "what the pros use."

People who buy iPhones and iPads don't buy them because they're what the pros use. So, in what scenario will professionals using Macs once more become important to Apple? Presumably, if the entire iOS business crashes, and Mac comes out on top again by default. Because it would be by default - people are not going to return to desktops and laptops if the iOS business crashes. And if iOS crashes, it'll take a fair amount of the Mac business with it - it's no coincidence that Apple sells four times as many Macs today as it sold on the day the iPhone was introduced. Without the ecosystem/synergy, without the masses of iOS users who figured out, "Hmmm, if iPhone works this well, there must be something to that Mac thing after all," who's left? Presumably, a handful of self-important "pros" in niche markets.

If the iOS business crashes, it'll be because something even better comes along for the masses who have no interest in owning "computers." That could be wearables, voice control, robotics... Further extensions of integrating computing into everyday life. That's a field where "what the pros use" is totally meaningless. It's about every moment of waking life for every member of the family, not just what Dad and/or Mom do at work. Either Apple continues to move forward to the next computing paradigm (creative destruction), or it dies. There is no returning to the glory years of the PC.

I've heard plenty from doom-speaking Wall Street analysts and tech pundits, but I haven't heard a one of them suggest that Apple needs to pay attention to the pro PC market again. They all know that Tim's fortunes depend on the success of the iOS business or some new product line that has yet to be announced. Mass market, not niche.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
[Sorry mods, not sure where to post this thread; please move if necessary]

Is it just me, or do others also need to check comparison tables to actually know/understand the difference between all Apple's products? What happened to the inherit simplicity when making buying decisions at Apple?

It feels like Apple is trying to hit too many price points and in the process are creating a convoluted and confusing product lineup that is best explained through Excel.

So, with that in mind, if Tim was sacked - and you were hired - what would your Dec 2016 line up look like?

Mine:
MacBook 12", MacBook 14"
MacBook Pro 14", MacBook Pro 16"
(tiny bezels)

Mac mini (= 14" MBP)
Mac mini (= base 16" MBP)
(no gimped 'entry' model, all SSD or Fusion as standard, dual SSD option)

iMac 24"
iMac 30"
(no gimped 'entry model', tiny bezels, 16:10 ratio, all retina, all SSD or Fusion as standard)

Mac Pro 2 x CPU model
Mac Pro 2 x GPU model

iPad Pro 12"
iPad Air 9.7"
iPad mini 7.9"
(no old models hanging around, names based on year made)

iPhone 7+
iPhone 7
iPhone 6s
iPhone SE

Apple Watch 2.0

Apple TV 4(k edition)

Thoughts?
I would temporarily stop focusing on idevices and stop all MacBook series...as its saturated as is. I would focus more on desktop with upgrability like Mac pros and iMac. I would kill off soldering on all macs. I would work with nvidia to get GPU. I would stop messing with people's mind.

Last edited:

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Tim Cook isn't a director, he's the head of the studio. His job isn't to make movies, it's to make sure those movies make money.

Yeah. If you want a good idea of what Cook really does, I recommend seeing *Hail Caesar*.

Hail%2BCaesar%2Breview.png

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I prefer the Steve Jobs version of CEO that does indeed direct the company. A product company needs a CEO focused on products - not finances. Leave that up to the SVPs.
This. If Tim looked away from his spreadsheets for just a little while then he may see the bigger picture. Also seems like Jony has his head too far up in places where the sun don't shine.

Jobs was a great foil for these guys.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well, I couldn't and wouldn't run an international corporation and my ideas would probably run the company into the ground but

These are the things I would immediately change:

1) Scrap the yearly updates of OS and iOS. Take the time to work through software bugs and kinks and thoroughly test with all hardware. 2 - 3 years to fix all the bugs and release software that is stable, easy to use and works like a charm across the product range.

2) Update the internals of Apple computers on an annual basis to be competitive. No more skimping on RAM, vRAM and no more spinner HDDs.

3) Give a real educational discount to students, teachers and universities - perhaps even bolster those discounts during back to school.

---

Some other ideas:

Bring back a line of Macs which the user can upgrade.

I'd ditch the iMac line and replace with customizable Mac Minis and Cinema displays - (yes, I know, all I've used for the past 17 years are iMacs, but I can see how limiting these are.)

I'd bundle the Pencil with the 12.9" iPad Pro and included a faster charger.

I'd bundle the USB-C adapter with the Macbook and cut the price for both models

Cut the prices on customizable upgrades.

I'd ditch the Car, the Watch and and whole idea of Apple being a fashion / trendy "brand."

and I'd do everything to make sure all of my employees are treated with respect and given what they need.

Make the former Beats people WORK for that money. They need to show why that 3 Billion investment was not the waste of money, time and a good product.

---

and then, I sadly woke up. :p

Last edited:

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Products
Retire the iPod. Sorry, but it’s had its time.
Reduce the hero product lineup. iOS devices have identical specification across the generation. New generation sees SKUs retired/sold at fire sale prices.
  • iPad Mini 7.9"
  • iPad 9.7”
  • iPad Plus 12”
  • iPhone Mini 4”
  • iPhone 4.7”
  • iPhone Plus 5.5”
  • Apple Watch 38mm
  • Apple Watch 42mm
  • Apple TV
  • MacBook Air - 11”, like the current MacBook, but 2 USB C and MagSafe
  • MacBook - 13”, Similar to the air, but design to match the rest of the line, USB C.
  • MacBook Pro - 15”, discrete graphics, long battery life, thunderbolt 3, HDMI out, like the current 15” retina, but better
  • Mac Mini - powerful and compact, entry priced, user upgradeable, twin HDD bays
  • iMac - 21” 4K & 27” 5K - SSDs, user replaceable RAM
  • Mac Pro - Yearly updates, top of the line spec, upgradeable RAM, storage and graphics cards
Non-hero products such as Thunderbolt Display, AirPort, and accessories should be modernised where nessecary (looking at the non AC AirPort Express; fat Thunderbolt Display on TB1 with MagSafe 1 as examples)

Keep the regular additions and refreshes to case colours and watch bands, this is superb for extracting money from consumers.

Software
  • OSX needs another Snow Leopard, consolidate, bug hunt and perfect current features
  • Keep pushing iWork to compete with Office in all settings (citation management, formula/macro support for example)
  • FCPX and Logic should be allowed to operate pretty much in a vacuum, just creating the best software they can.
  • Burn iTunes to the ground, salt the earth and start again as a suite.
  • Hey Siri that collaborates across devices, using only the nearest, and with handoff.
  • Remove stock apps
  • Uninstall from Launchpad
  • “See fewer” not “See less"
Services
  • Return of One to One, with a better focus on online tutorials, problem solving and availability of useful classes.
  • iPhone upgrade programme rolled out across the board; iPad, Mac, MacBook - pay the price over one, two, or three years and get new hardware on return of old.
  • Better phone support, more experienced staff
  • Something between AppleCare and Joint Venture, priority appointments/repairs, no loaners.
Retail
  • Educate all store staff on basic personal hygiene and enforce this as much as is legal
  • Management hired internally rather than from other retail environments
  • Staff knowledge testing, ensure that staff are able to use current software and devices
  • Blue t-shirts come back, way, way easier to identify
  • A better customer management system than the current invisible concierge queue
  • Stop opening stores until there are enough staff in the ones that exist already
  • Offer realistic length and numbers of Genius Bar appointments, to reduce waiting times
  • 15% of Genius Bar Appointments per day available for walk-ins (possibly more during weekends)
Other
  • Double down on encryption
  • FaceTime and iMessage become platform-agnostic. The iPod bought in literally millions of windows users by being a gateway drug.
  • Look into becoming an MVNO or data-heavy mobile provider, built in SIMs etc
  • Edge-to-edge screens are sexy, bezels are not
  • Make cable cutting mainstream through tv
  • Take anything of value from beats (personel, technology, NOT design or personalities) and then shutter it
  • True wireless earbuds.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Agreed. That'd be sweet (3840x2400)
[doublepost=1459835382][/doublepost]
Until it melted on your desk...:D
[doublepost=1459835537][/doublepost]

Stand alone spinners should NEVER be allowed in a Mac again.

Quad in the mini is my sentimental favourite.;)

I'd put multitronic memory circuits into the Mac Mini line.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
1. Keep improving on ARM processors until they match or exceed current intel speeds with better power to watt performance, including desktop processors.

2. Dump Intel and Bootcamp support, switch to ARM across all Macs.

3. Redefine the desktop by making a range of high resolution monitor sizes (21.5”, 24”, 27”, 30”). These new monitors would be partial desktops that work when connecting an iPad Pro. They would include…

A. Speakers
B. Multiple SSD slots (comes with one SSD, can add more)
C. One PCIe slot (for use of optional desktop graphics card)
D. Ram slots
E. Thunderbolt 3 ports, USB C ports, ethernet
F. A special dock in front that connects to 10” and 13” iPad Pros (fool-proof, only turns on when properly seated)
G. Does not include a CPU

The iPad Pros would stay the same except for a port to connect to the external monitors, and would sport a new hybrid OS that combines the best of Mac OS and iOS, based on ARM. When using the iPad Pro separately from the monitor it would look and function more like iOS does now, except for adding more desktop like features. When docked to the external apple monitor it would boot Mac OS in that monitor and the iPad would turn into a second monitor with touch screen. You can use the iPad as an input touch screen device or hookup a mouse and keyboard to the apple monitor and use it as a desktop. You also have the option of turning off the screen on the iPad while connected.

The apple monitor would have it’s own power cord, taking over powering everything as well as charging the iPad Pro. While the iPad Pro is connected to the monitor you can set it up to transfer or backup any new data (photos, videos, etc.) to the SSD(s) in the apple monitor.

I would work with AMD and Nvidia in getting a wide range of their latest FX cards, making them fully Mac compatible and sell them from on the apple store, as separate cards, or bundled with a new apple monitor. Also in the apple store I would sell apple monitor and iPad Pro combo deals where you pay less when buying them together.

4. If the apple monitor iPad Pro combos sell well I would dump Mac Mini and iMacs, but keep the Mac Pro for any CPU intensive applications not capable in an iPad Pro and update the Mac Pro more often. The Mac Pro can also work with the apple monitors to create a very powerful combo, having mass SSD storage built into the monitor.

5. Make the apple monitors also be able to connect to Macbooks and Macbook Pros.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
mk

1. MacBook Air - extinct
2. iPad Mini - extinct
3. iMac - monumental (ok not quite, but something changes) hardware redesign. People still need a truck, we remind them why.
4. Full speed ahead on maintaining top-tier pro apps and suites (Final Cut/Logic X, iWork).
5. While we're on the pro sector - I'm a big fan of the "trash can" Mac Pro. It's an incredible piece of hardware, if it came out under Steve people would stick it in a museum. Right now it's starting to get forgotten. So we've got to keep the hardware up to date and upgradable to a reasonable degree. We need to get the old towers out of the studios and this small thing in. Professionals and consumers experiencing the Mac the same way is the soul of the Mac.
6. Revamp keynote presentations. Get the crowd excited, we are excited, we are Apple and we make products that change lives for the better.

Three big areas of focus:

7.. Big marketing push to educate John Doe on the benefits and how-to of iCloud. We are lagging because people don't know what's going on. iCloud should not be a challenge or inspire hesitation.
8. Marketing and software push for Apple Watch - make Apple Watch something either on your wrist or on your wishlist, across the board.
9. Make Apple TV the future of TV, instead of just talking about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Santabean2000

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Interesting thread. 2)'s already been said here but I'll hit it from a different angle.

1) Tim, you're not fired. We're changing direction and your role is changed. I expect you'll work as hard as you always have for Apple in your new position. If you decide to leave us, you will be missed.

2) We will still produce product for the majority but we will also produce product for professionals and tinkerers (P&T). We're measurably losing their money now, that's clear. This must stop. We're also losing (short and long-term) the less-easily measurable positive effect they have on our business. P&T are looked to by the less-willing or abled as 'magic makers'. Through cleaning up messes and unlocking possibilities for the majority, they create excitement and attraction. By their day-to-day example and action, they can be effective marketers for us. We will always want feedback from our user base. How valuable would properly interpreted feedback from P&T be?

3) All scheduled, general, corporate meetings are hereby cancelled. We're awash in communication tech here. Let's use it. We have work to do.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Interesting thread. 2)'s already been said here but I'll hit it from a different angle.

1) Tim, you're not fired. We're changing direction and your role is changed. I expect you'll work as hard as you always have for Apple in your new position. If you decide to leave us, you will be missed.

2) We will still produce product for the majority but we will also produce product for professionals and tinkerers (P&T). We're measurably losing their money now, that's clear. This must stop. We're also losing (short and long-term) the less-easily measurable positive effect they have on our business. P&T are looked to by the less-willing or abled as 'magic makers'. Through cleaning up messes and unlocking possibilities for the majority, they create excitement and attraction. By their day-to-day example and action, they can be effective marketers for us. We will always want feedback from our user base. How valuable would properly interpreted feedback from P&T be?

3) All scheduled, general, corporate meetings are hereby cancelled. We're awash in communication tech here. Let's use it. We have work to do.
I like it. You've got my vote!

P&Ts. These are the cheerleaders. These are your base. Lose them and lose the ground on which everything else has been built.

Apple is choosing right now to look after the most obvious cash cow; iphone crowd. But even then they're dropping the ball and slipping back in the rank.

Security is the only thing keeping me hanging around at this point. If Android could get its shiz together here I think there would be a shift.

As new options present themselves the fickle majority will float on the breeze. When Apple falls on hard times, (and all companies do at some point), who are they going to have left to call on?

I'm hoping for a 'magical' WWDC where they show the world that, "hey, Macs are still important to us!"

Mine:
11" Air - cut
13" cMBP - cut
13" Air - new price, entry/budget model
14" MB - intro
14" MBP - redesigned, thinner, faster, (serviceable).
16" MBP - redesigned, thinner, faster, (serviceable).
MP - new guts
mMP - introduce the fabled xMac (scaled down version of the MP)
mini - quad core, iris pro, dual SSDs
iMacs - new parts, no stand alone HHDs

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I'd do what Steve did when he returned to Apple in 1997... Simplify the product line and focus on making the best products.

My product line would be

iPhone 4"
iPhone 4.7"

iPad mini
iPad

MacBook
MacBook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Mine:

* iMac 27 5k (improved graphics), iMac 21 4k, -- no retina discontinued
* Mac Pro specs update.
* Mac mini speed bump.
* Improve specs and design to Macbook Pro R 15 and R 13.3 -- no retina discontinued.
* Macbook 12" speed bump and renamed to Macbook Air --current MBAs discontinued
* Only one version of each iPad size, rebranded to iPad mini, iPad and iPad Plus
* Only three models of iPhone: iPhone 7, 7Plus and 7SE (6s specs).
* All iPod line finally discontinued.

ThinkDifferent.

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
USA
If Tim was fired and I was brought in, I would immediately realign the board with the mission of creating great products over great profit. I'm a firm believer that if you build it with passion (which we saw with Steve and Co.) people will come, people will buy. There is no reason to rest on our laurels now.

Once I know that the board is behind me, I would bring back Scott Forstall with the understanding that we work with the current UI. I understand the transition from Skeu to Flat (Even though personally I didn't hate Skeu), but what I'm more concerned about is stability. It is no surprise to all of us that Apple's software has been slacking. With Forstall back at the helm of iOS development, that means we can divide the time and energy more efficiently, allowing for more stable (hopefully) releases of iOS.

I'd have a honest conversation with Jonathan Ive on how much longer he wants to stay at Apple. Depending on his answer, I'll begin looking for his successor. This could mean a radical and exciting change to Apple's design. On to the product line up...

Desktop

iMac

Keep the two screen sizes ( 21.5 and 27in) everything would be solid state starting at 512GB (with the option of 1-2TB)
Latest versions of USB and thunderbolt
HD 1080P iSight Camera
Standard 16GB of RAM with upgrades at 32/64
Latest desktop class processors
Keep the SDXC/Gigabit ethernet/Headphone
Add a line in jack

If we could pull it off I'd like to put desktop class Nvidia graphics cards inside, if not, top of the line mobile Nvidia graphics

I do away with the older 21" iMac and keep only the 4K and 5K versions

Starting Price for the 4K 23" $1099.00
Starting Price for the 5K 27" $1499.00

21.5" Non Retina iMac: Discontinued

Mac Mini

There isn't much to change except for the internals. I'd do away with intel graphics and see if I could get a powerful mobile Nvidia inside. Ram would be standard 16GB with an upgrade to 32GB. Again, latest intel processors fit for a computer that size. Latest version of USB/Thunderbolt
All SSD

Starting:
Entry level price $499

Mac Pro

I would toss the idea around of a redesign. Possibly bring back the old design, updated ports, keep the optical disk bays. Latests Nvidia graphics, latest server class Intels. Standard 1TB SSD. Standard 32GB of RAM (Up to 128GB)

Starting:
Quad Core: $2799.00
6 Core: $3799.00

Laptop:

Macbook:

Keep the same screen size, same colors, if possible, up the processor speed, improve the graphics card to Nvidia, allow the option for 16GB of RAM
Would test the idea of the Apple logo lighting up
HD 1080P iSight Camera
Would install a magsafe connecter, add one USBC port, allowing one to be on each side
Longer battery life

Starting:
256GB: $899.00
512GB: $1199.00

Macbook Pro:

Screen sizes: 13" 15" 17"
Standard 512GB SSD (Option for 1-2TBSSD)
16GBRAM (With an option for 32GB)
Add an additional Thunderbolt and USB port, return the line in port, breathing sleep indicator on the front, battery level indicator on the left
Would toss around the idea of different colors (Aluminum/Black) Powerful looking colors
Would allow the option of a matt display
HD 1080P iSight Camera
Latest Nvidia graphics card
Longer battery life

Starting:
13" $1499.00
15" $1799.00
17" $2099.00

13" Non-retina Macbook Pro: Discontinued
Macbook Air: Discontinued

Displays:

Apple Cinema Display:

Bring the case design inline with the current retina iMac
5K Retina display
HD 1080P iSight Camera
Matte option
Two thunderbolt
One FW800
Four USB of latest build
Available in a 21.5" 27" (Possibly tease the idea of a 30" depending on consumer demand)
Would also have built in power button/screen brightness controls

21.5": $699
27": $899
(Possible 30": $1099)

Mobile:

iPhone:

I would do away with keeping last years model in stock. Once the new one was released, the old one would be discontinued. This also might be unpopular, but I would debate getting rid of the SE and introducing a 4" of whatever current model of the iPhone is out.

4.7" 5.5"
Same colors (Gold, Rose Gold (Pink), Space Gray, Silver/White)
64GB and 128GB

I won't make any comments on design because I feel that is something I can't predict without being in the lab with John or his successor. Let it be known however that I would push the bar higher. My theme continues to be no longer resting on our laurels. I'd also focus on a cutting edge DAC (Digital to Analog converter) for better music quality (HiFi) through the headphone jack.

4.7"
64GB: $599
128GB: $799

5.5"
64GB: $699
128GB: $899

iPad:

I don't hate the current design of the iPad. Would bring back the the mute/rotation switch. Would debate removing the protruded lens. Would do away with all of these names. As well as last years model. Let's design three sizes, all call them the iPad, all have the same tech and same colors. I'd also focus on a cutting edge DAC (Digital to Analog converter) for better music quality (HiFi) through the headphone jack.

Colors: Gold, Rose Gold (Pink), Space Gray, Silver/White

12"
Wifi:
64GB: $699
128GB: $899
256GB: $1099

Wifi+Cellular
64GB: $899
128GB: $1099
256GB: $1200

9.4"
Wifi
64: $499
128 $699
256 $899

Wifi+Cellular
64: $599
128 $899
256 $1099

8"
Wifi:
64: $399
128: $499
256: $599

Wifi+Cellular
64: $529
128: $629
256: $729

iPod:

I find the iPod to be a very unique part of Apple's lineup. No longer the golden child, does it still have a place? For some, yes. But in a world that is now run by smart phones, it is a hard market. I think Apple has done well in their current line up. I'm sure, for nostalgic reasons, we all miss the click wheel. But I wouldn't change much. For special events/fundraisers I'd tease the idea of bringing back the iPod Classic with updated features. That would be a tough sell though. There's so much that would have to happen behind the scenes for that to be a success.

As it stands, here's what I would do to the current lineup:

iPod Touch:

Keep all the current colors, maybe refreshing them every year or two
Capacities:
64: $199
128: $299
256: $399

Bump it up to a 4.7" screen
Bring the internals all up to speed with the 4.7" iPhone sans cellular capabilities
I'd also get a cutting edge DAC (Digital to Analog converter) inside for the headphone jack. (HiFi)
iPod Nano:

The iPod Nano design could be toyed with from year to year, but for now, the colors and design are enjoyable. Would keep the OS separate from iOS. Maybe tweaking a few things here and there to keep it in line with the more drastic UI updates, that's up for debate. Also would include a cutting edge DAC (HiFi)

Capacity:
32GB: $150

iPod Shuffle:

The shuffle is fine where it is in terms of design and color. Discuss cutting edge DAC (HiFi)

Capacity:
5GB: $50

 TV:

For a while some thought that Apple would release its own standalone TV set, as time has progressed it's become clear that they have no immediate intentions to do so and I am okay with that. It seems the real key is set top boxes. It would be too costly to try to manufacture, then you get in to screen sizes and the competition, yuck!

Tech Specs:
4K resolution
USBC for Service
Ethernet
Latest/Fastest wifi
latest/most powerful processors

I'd like to see what other design options we'd have for both the box and the remote, without losing the form factor of both.

Color: Black
Capacity:
64GB: $99
256GB: $199

Apple Watch:

The watch is hard to discuss when it comes to what I could change. There are so many options so I'll just focus on the hardware itself.

 Sport
38mm: $199
42mm: $299

 Watch
38mm: $599
42mm: $699

 Edition
38mm: $10,000
42mm: $12,000

Continuing with my beliefs, latest internal hardware. As far as design goes, would need to see multiple concepts from John/replacement before I went forward with a radical change of design. Would work on less scratches for all screens. So clichéd, but can we go thinner? Better medical sensors. Better speaker with higher volume capabilities.

Accessories:

When it comes to accessories, I'm enjoying the current design of the Magic Mouse, Trackpad, wireless keyboard. Only thing I would change is bringing back two AA batteries for the Magic Mouse. I would also bring over the new butterfly key design to the wired keyboard with attached numeric keypad. Airport Extreme/Express are doing fine for their design and price point.Would keep the USB superdrive, drop the price to $50

Software:

This is where I find the most work needs to be done. Say what you want about hardware design, Apple's software has been slacking, painfully. I believe iOS and Mac OS need to be rewritten from the ground up. Squashing bugs, fixing embarrassing gaps of service and leaving behind the computers/devices needed to pull ourselves forward. I personally am not a big fan of the current dock design either, whether that would change would be up for debate.

Mac OS:
Applications:
iTunes:

If there is one thing I know someone is going to raise issues with, it's iTunes. And for good reason. iTunes is a bloated beached whale. The app needs to be redesigned from the ground up. Navigation and features need to be more intuitive.

iWork:
Not too many complaints here, did notice the discussion over loss of some useful features when we went from clear desktop to more mobile design. A standard review of what should possibly be brought back would be beneficial

Boot-up:
This is really nitpicking but I miss the boot-up intro video that played after you installed Mac OS or turned on your Mac for the first time. That was quintessential Apple, it should be brought back. I understand the possible argument of losing that for saving space, but I think we'd be able to find a way.

iOS:
Applications:
Music:

The music app is awful to work with. I mean, am I cutting off my arm? No. But it's just a real pain. A huge interface redesign should be approached. To jump right in: The volume bar needs to be spaced farther from the skip buttons to avoid accidental touching, shuffle needs to, you know, shuffle songs. Easier navigation to albums/artists. I'd love to see cover flow make a comeback. That would be gorgeous on the bigger displays.

Outside of the music app, I think my big complaints are really with iOS overall. It's buggy, at times slow, and the overall feel is just not the same it use to be back around iOS 3-4. Without speculation, iOS needs a complete rebuild. If that were to happen, I'd like to see more color injected. As I stated before, I didn't hate skeu as a design aesthetic. Arguably it can go too far. But I think there is a way we can safely blend the two.

In conclusion:

I know that there is also heavy speculation about Apple working on a car. Would I direct Apple in to making a car? Probably not. But then again, I don't have the same insider knowledge. Maybe they have fully justified it, maybe they're on a fools errand.

I know this is a long read, but I hope you stuck around until the end. I'm extremely passionate about Apple, if I was asked to run the place in real life, I'd accept. I know some are saying that it would be harder than just making a list. No doubt. But what made Apple great wasn't pleasing the shareholders, it was making great products that brought them in to success. Anyone who thinks that at this point its only about keeping shareholders happy, is selling themselves and Apple short. Apple can still drive the world forward. It all depends on who is steering the ship.

Stay hungry, stay foolish.

Reactions: Goatllama

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok ok I'll bite....

Mine:
MacBook 12
MacBook 14
MacBook Pro 14 dgpu dual ssd
MacBook Pro 17 dgpu dual ssd

Mac mini htpc - m7 with active cooling
Mac mini i7 (desktop class & dgpu)

iMac 24" i5 dgpu ssd standard
iMac 30" i7 dgpu ssd standard

Mac pro - dual i7 or Xeon 32/64gb ram

iPad Pro 12"
iPad Pro 9.7"
iPad pro 7.9"
(pencil, large power brick and case standard 64/128/256gb ram 4gb)

iPhone 7+
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 SE

Apple Watch 2.0

Apple TV 4(k edition)

Airport current offering plus pro edition

Apple home server - 4/8 drive nas based on core i5 16gb ram custom OS X edition.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Internally, migrate program frameworks and stuff to C++ instead of Objective-C to bring Mac programming ever closer to Windows/Linux programming.

riviera74

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
Fort Myers FL
A few things I would do:

Get professionals to want to buy a Mac again (better SW would be the big thing). I was reading another thread here and they are essentially being forced to buy Windows PCs instead. This is a combination of the failure of the new Mac Pro and the lack of real Professional level software. This is a very bad development.

Bring Apple back to its Mac roots. When Apple became the iPhone company, several things about Macs became increasingly untenable, especially with MacOS. Apple needs to hire more programmers and coders and debuggers period. Mac OS needs to just work, again. For some reason, the compelling reason to switch from Windows to Mac are disappearing fast, especially given the successful release of Windows 10. Making Professional-level software is crucial and should be mandatory for Apple.

As much as I prefer the MBA over the retina MB, the rMB is the future, so the MBA should be discontinued ASAP. At least have three USB-C ports on the rMB, not just one.

The iMacs should have SSDs only, and there should be a 23" to replace the 21.5". Keep the 27" and maybe consider a 30". Also, NO non-retina iMacs, period. The Mac Mini can go the way of Intel's NUC (which is quite nifty if you think about it). The rMBPs are fine as is (SSDs only, though).

The iPhone and the iPad Pro (and mini) can stay on the same path as they are right now. Let the $$$$ they generate go straight into making Macs truly compelling again. BTW, all versions of the iPod need to go, since nobody seems to buy them anymore. I would abandon such projects as the Apple Car and put the Apple Watch on a short leash.

While I disagree that Apple should ditch Intel for ARM, and by extension ditch Boot Camp entirely, I suspect that is what Apple will do. Apple will probably go to ARM because that allows them total control over all aspects of their products.
[doublepost=1464968384][/doublepost]This thread is about Apple pushing Pros to move to Windows:
Apple Made Me Buy a Windows HP Workstation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.